New Site Name Poll

New to the site? Start a thread here and tell us about yourself! Also enter for site Membership Agreement.

New Site Name Poll

Poll ended at Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:16 pm

The Geek Shall Inherit The Earth
No votes
Beyond Reality
29%
Remember the Balrog
57%
Secondary Worlds
No votes
Dragon's Moon
No votes
Secondary Universes
7%
Reality Bridge
7%
FantastiCosmos
No votes
alt.worlds
No votes

Total votes: 14

resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

Re: New Site Name Poll

Postby resoundingjoy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:51 pm

That's available for $10.69/year, CB!

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:01 am

Joy :lol:

Sorry about the outburst yesterday, this is just driving me crazy :x I suggested to my husband last night that maybe we should name this site after the inability of us to name this site - like terminalindecision.com :lol:

Anyway, side-stepping the name for a second, the discussion here has brought up another point that we do need an answer to and not just to decide on the name, but for various things on the site - do we want a complete break from RB or not?

On the one hand, I can see the merits of keeping some RBness, whether in the name, or having the Ivy Bush etc, but on the other hand I can see Shuggy and Az's point about a clean break. I think there are people for both viewpoints here and we all need to have a good think about what would be good for us and the site. I'm going to start a poll about that (yes another one :roll: ), because I think we need the answer to that question before we can do a lot of things, not just buy the name.
[Under Construction]

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:39 am

I guess I just don't get the problem with the name. And why the feelings are so strongly against the name the majority chose, especially when I see the greater number of posts we have for the Tolkien-flavored topics. If we're honest, than a clean break was never really in the cards.

The in-joke is what endears the name to me. I'm also thinking about the illustration that would head the site, and how much more that would show the diversity of interests - especially if the name were shown bottom right rather than upper left or center.

For me it's exactly like "remember the alamo" or "remember the maine". We want a vibrant, interesting site and since Ringbearer, in its day, was most certainly that, I see keeping that particularly fond piece of it more than appropriate. I also think it's good to remember that the Balrog was never a major character.

He's the Emperor and Grendel, the Borg and Cybermen, Godzilla, King Kong and Medusa - a monster like the rest. He's the peg upon which we can hang, a focal.

Consultation resulted in the poll, which resulted in the votes and that should be the end of it. If the choice of name is wrong, I'm sure we'll find out. But I really think we need to get this site's form up first.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:27 pm

I think at this point it's too late to change the name, but I did want to know what the general feeling with the amount of RBness on the site is. I know we can't please everyone but if we at least get the majority covered....

It does look like our internet is fixed :) so we'll start on getting everything setup this weekend. I need to do some more research on how the front page is going to work, but once we have that up at least we might get a few more people.

And as another side note, if anyone sees areas of the board that aren't working as expected or need expanding, speak up. The current format is definitely changable :)
[Under Construction]

locksley
House Elf

Postby locksley » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:16 am

Been on vacation for the last two weeks ... and when I left, we had a name. ;)

Agreed, Shireling.
I'm really don't understand the ongoing problem with the site name. We ran a new poll after discussing things, and 'Remember the Balrog' won ... done. Let's move on.
As well, it would be very unfair to the majority who voted for it to NOT use the name.

As Cassie says, you can't please everyone 100%, and we all knew that this would be the case no matter what name won the poll.
"He walked into mid-autumn, hearing nothing but the winds. One night as he sat before his fire, vaguely feeling the winds urge against his shape, he looked down and saw the starred harp in his hands ..." (Mckillip, The Riddle Master trilogy)

Return to “Welcome/Membership Agreement”