New Site Name Poll

New to the site? Start a thread here and tell us about yourself! Also enter for site Membership Agreement.

New Site Name Poll

Poll ended at Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:16 pm

The Geek Shall Inherit The Earth
No votes
Beyond Reality
29%
Remember the Balrog
57%
Secondary Worlds
No votes
Dragon's Moon
No votes
Secondary Universes
7%
Reality Bridge
7%
FantastiCosmos
No votes
alt.worlds
No votes

Total votes: 14

locksley
House Elf

New Site Name Poll

Postby locksley » Tue May 25, 2010 11:16 pm

Here we go again. ;)

I think I managed to include all the choices that were going to be available in some form.

Cassie says she feels that 'Where the Stars are Strange' is too long of a url, so I didn't include it. If more than a few think I should still add it, let me know and I'll just cancel the current poll and redo it once again. ;)
"He walked into mid-autumn, hearing nothing but the winds. One night as he sat before his fire, vaguely feeling the winds urge against his shape, he looked down and saw the starred harp in his hands ..." (Mckillip, The Riddle Master trilogy)

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Re: New Site Name Poll

Postby MsBrandybuck » Wed May 26, 2010 2:18 am

None.Of.The.Above.

:P
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

locksley
House Elf

Postby locksley » Wed May 26, 2010 2:25 am

Now why didn't I think of that? It's different, and probably not taken. :P
"He walked into mid-autumn, hearing nothing but the winds. One night as he sat before his fire, vaguely feeling the winds urge against his shape, he looked down and saw the starred harp in his hands ..." (Mckillip, The Riddle Master trilogy)

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Wed May 26, 2010 2:28 am

LMAO!!!! :D

NOTA.ORG- there we have it!!!! ;)
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

locksley
House Elf

Postby locksley » Wed May 26, 2010 2:30 am

LOL And here I was worrying we'd never decide on a name. ;)

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Wed May 26, 2010 4:15 am

Where the Stars are Strange is nicely poetic.
If we did Where the Stars are Strange we could make the url www.WSS.net (.org and .com are taken) or WhereTheStars.org or something

I'd include it. And vote for it. :)
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Wed May 26, 2010 4:19 am

I actually kinda like "none of the above" as a name....
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Wed May 26, 2010 4:11 pm

I really do not like Remember the Balrog :evil: (which would be RTB, no?).
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

Postby resoundingjoy » Wed May 26, 2010 4:32 pm

I went through Google searching these site titles to see what we'd be up against with each one, as well as godaddy.com for potential pricing/competetors. Here are some findings:

"The Geek Shall Inherit the Earth" results in a couple of articles about "geek culture" from Time, Spiked-Online, Sports Illustrated; a few videos, a blog. There are actually a surprising number of journalists who have used this title for their articles! As mentioned previously, this too is a pretty long name for a URL. com is taken; org is $14.99; net is $8.99

"Beyond Reality": a radio station, event planning service, blip.tv show, several myspace pages, an online comic, a TV series from 1991, and game technology that links board games and video games. .com is taken; org is $888 (!!!), net is taken.

"Remember the Balrog": First ten results all from message boards, mostly Tolkien focused. The fifth result is this website. :roll: com is $10.69; net is $8.99, org is $14.99

"Secondary Worlds": The first result is a pretty interesting blog about teaching and technology. I've bookmarked it for further personal reading! Other results include W. H. Auden's collection of essays and several academic essays. com is taken, net is $8.99, org is taken.

"Dragon's Moon" is the title of a novel of dubious quality whose first chapter can be read here: http://www.twilighttimesbooks.com/DragonsMoon_ch1.html There is also a tarot website, Etsy crafts page, and twitter page in the results. com is taken, org is taken, net is taken.

"Secondary Universes" results in several academic articles, a Christian writers' group, and some random blogs. com is $10.69, net is $8.99, org is $14.99

"Reality Bridge" is a software company in Washington State, a model of communication, and also returns random song links, media reviews, and youtube videos. com is taken, org is taken, net is on backorder for $16.99??

"FantastiCosmos" has no Google results in English! com is $10.69, net is $8.99, org is $14.99

"alt.worlds" results in lots of alternate text tags! altworlds.com is taken, net is $8.99, org is $14.99

None of the Above is apparently the name of a bluegrass band from Virginia!
http://www.noneoftheabove.net/store/03% ... ieving.wma
nota.org is a nonpartisan voting organization.

And the first page of Google results for "stars are strange" includes nine webpages about quark stars and one result from TORN.

It sure is nice to be on break from school!

locksley
House Elf

Postby locksley » Wed May 26, 2010 8:01 pm

:)

None of the Above is apparently the name of a bluegrass band from Virginia!

:lol:

I really do not like Remember the Balrog

That's how I feel about 'Beyond Reality'. :D
(But naturally, odds are that not every single person is going to like whatever name is chosen.)

"Beyond Reality": a radio station, event planning service, blip.tv show, several myspace pages, an online comic, a TV series from 1991, and game technology that links board games and video games. .com is taken; org is $888 (!!!), net is taken.

Really? I could have sworn the .com was available, but you're right. (just checked myself. I suppose it could always be done with a hyphen in the middle.)
$888.00!!! That's just insane. :roll:

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Thu May 27, 2010 9:57 am

I like Remember the Balrog as a concept, but I think it's an unwise decision with regard to this site since we're trying to get away from Tolkien-centric stuff.
We might just as well keep it as Ringbearer if we're gonna name it Remember the Balrog imo.
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

locksley
House Elf

Postby locksley » Thu May 27, 2010 4:55 pm

Hi Az. :D

Well, it it wins, we'll just have to see how it goes. It's definitely been discussed at length, (lol) pros and cons, and enough people have expressed liking it as a name to keep it included in the poll.
I still feel it's a very clever, intriguing name, and that many people would take the time to read the actual site info. Someone said it creates a sense of curiousity, and I agree. :)

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Thu May 27, 2010 6:30 pm

Yuk! :-P

But that's democracy for ya! ;-)
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri May 28, 2010 12:09 am

Do Balrogs have democracy? I just wondered. The big question was whether or not they had wings, but I think we can all agree they are revolting. I just wonder if they're happy with their government...I think I'll shut up now.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Postby PatriotBlade » Sun May 30, 2010 7:45 pm

Having trouble making up my mind.
I rather like Beyond Reality, as well as Secondary Worlds, and Secondary Universes.

Remember the Balrog is cute, but not practical in my opinion.

But I kinds wanna vote for Reality Bridge, because it's the only RB option that stuck.

I still kinda liked my joke one, Reality Bites.
Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still UNWRITTEN...

Return to “Welcome/Membership Agreement”