Suggestions

New to the site? Start a thread here and tell us about yourself! Also enter for site Membership Agreement.
Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Suggestions

Postby Withywindle » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:23 pm

Problem: Not enough members.

Problem: Those we have are previous LOTR messageboard orphans.

Problem: We want a broad Sci-Fi and fantasy membership.

Problem: Attracting that membership.

Problem: Word of mouth won't cut it as we already have a small membership and we have probably already bored our friends about it millions of times and those that wanted to join joined ages ago.

Problem: Wandering surfers may be put off by an understandable cliqueyness that builds up with established posters knowing a number of people over a long period of time.

Actuality: The board is called RememberThe Balrog. The most casual Sci-Fi and Fantasy surfer who happens along wil think 'LOTR board'.

Actuality: NO I'm not suggesting changing the name. It has been democratically decided upon. However it is a small additional hurdle no matter what even its most ardent followers say.

Suggestion: We attract quite a number of new posters quickly by setting up a RememberTheBalrog twitter account. That account 'follows' fantasy and sci fi authors, actors, film makers, comic book illustrators, artists etc. most will follow you back and if this twitter account we set up retweets stuff from these people and prominently displays the messageboard url then to paraphrase the unbelievably twee and cheesy Kevin Costner: People will come.

Suggestion: Set up a RememberTheBalrog Facebook page. 'Like' fantasy and sci-fi authors, film makers, art, films, radio, books, fanzines and magazines and so on. Show the url. Put on that page that the board is a general fantasy and sci fi board.

Relying on casual search engine results probably won't get the membership we are after.
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Re: Suggestions

Postby PatriotBlade » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:28 pm

I actually like the sound of this. And any board members who have fb or twitter already can "friend" or "follow" the board accounts.
Last edited by PatriotBlade on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still UNWRITTEN...

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:31 pm

that is a great idea!
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:22 pm

I refer the Right Honorable Gentleman to the answer I gave some time ago
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:18 pm

*applause* :D It makes perfect sense to me.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Postby Shuggy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:30 am

Anything that will help overcome the problems the stupid name we've been saddled with generates is welcome.
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:33 am

Welcome back, Sunshine!

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:44 pm

Somehow, I don't see any of that getting this site much traffic. But it can't hurt.

All I can say is 'Good luck with it.'

Meanwhile, the old Ringbearer is left to rot in putrid spam... :|
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

Return to “Welcome/Membership Agreement”