What I've been doing since...

New to the site? Start a thread here and tell us about yourself! Also enter for site Membership Agreement.
resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

What I've been doing since...

Postby resoundingjoy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:21 pm

So I know for me at least it's been (a few) years since I've been a regular at RB. I thought it might be a nice idea to start a thread where folks can post what they've been up to in the past few years. (If this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it) *still has a healthy fear of the salmon*

A few ideas for starters:
Original RB Name(s):
When you joined:
When you were most active on RB:
What people might remember you from:
What you've been doing lately:

Here's me:
Original RB Name(s): resoundingjoy
When you joined: Feb. 2002
When you were most active on RB: During the TORc move and two years after.
What people might remember you from: I was the AWAS historian and wrote several stupid song parodies. I also organized several attempts to break the "most users on the board" at once record, which I think resulted in the server crashing a few times.
What you've been doing lately: Since being active on RB in 2002-2004, I moved to Los Angeles, got a B.A. in Mass Communication, worked odd jobs for a couple of years, and last year moved to Ohio to work on a Masters in Library Science. In a few months I'll be working in a music library at a summer camp in Michigan, and after that, hopefully finding a REAL JOB! Thinking about moving to Nashville or Philadelphia, but it all depends on the job market...
Last edited by resoundingjoy on Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

margarath
House Elf

Re: What I've been doing since...

Postby margarath » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:50 pm

Original RB Name(s): margarath
When you joined: Ooh I don't remember exactly... Most probably about late 2002?
When you were most active on RB: From then until about 2005
What people might remember you from: Moots, and being a mini-mod (and generally trying to be Cassie)
What you've been doing lately: Maths at Oxford, about the finish in June, running the university's archery club (real life leggy), growing long hair and a beard, and getting engaged. Hoping to get post grad work next year.

PS: Great idea joy!

emclelland
Mome Rath

Postby emclelland » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:28 pm

Original RB Name(s): Evenstar33
When you joined: 2001 or early 2002, can't remember
When you were most active on RB: from when I joined until 2004-2005ish
What people might remember you from: Lurking :lol: I did post every once in a while, here and there. I was a very shy teenager. Also, I was at the Gathering of the Fellowship in Toronto in 2003, if any of you guys were there :) I won first and third place in the young artist portion of the art contest :lol:
What you've been doing lately: Graduated high school, moved from Massachusetts to upstate New York to go to film school. Graduated film school this past spring and moved to Los Angeles, where I am now working as a Visual Effects Artist. Well now I'm working, anyway. Had six months or so with nothing after I graduated, which was awesome, let me assure you :roll:
Formerly Evenstar33
My Website

J_Kale
N00b

Postby J_Kale » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:19 pm

Original RB Name(s): Kale (and i_kal'_antulien before that, lol)
When you joined: Early 2002 some time...maybe February?
When you were most active on RB: 2002-2004, methinks.
What people might remember you from: I spent most of my time in BH early on, then later in Inklings...I was around Window a bit as well.
What you've been doing lately: Since I was last a regular around here I've graduated school, stopped being a messy teenager, finished a Bachelor of Arts and taken up competetive cosplay XD Right now I'm in my final year of a Bachelor of Education, before going on to my honours in literature next year (kind of a get through this year for the sake of next year deal). Spend most of my time now reading, writing, studying, sewing costumes and baking cupcakes :D

Grathy! Dude! Congratulations on getting engaged! That's mad :D

margarath
House Elf

Postby margarath » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:52 pm

It feels a bit mad sometimes! It's nearly a year now, and 3 months 2 days til the wedding...

It's very exciting to see all the same people back - all us scummy teenagers have grown up and gone through uni, and are now in various levels of (un)employment...

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:13 pm

margarath wrote:all us scummy teenagers have grown up and gone through uni

That makes me feel really old :lol:

Great idea for a thread though Joy :D You all know who I am anyway, but still..

Original RB Name(s): CassieBaggins and CharlieBloom before that (back in the DAY!)
When you joined: Late 2001
When you were most active on RB: Through the enthusiast board, through the pixelstix board and then onto the "me and O" board :lol: Not been around much for the last couple of years though.
What people might remember you from: Lurking in a Modly way ;) causing havoc in the Ivy (and throwing Grathy out :P ) and also moots!
What you've been doing lately: Well in the past 5 years I've got married, moved to the US of A and got a real full time job :D No more of that student business for me, though it was fun while it lasted.
[Under Construction]

margarath
House Elf

Postby margarath » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:55 pm

Cassie wrote:That makes me feel really old :lol:

Precisely why I wrote it :P

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:09 pm

You big meanie :P
[Under Construction]

locksley
House Elf

Postby locksley » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:27 pm

Original RB Name(s): Locksley ... always was. :D
When you joined: Spring 2001, Fandom days (omg, Joram and Maria have the cutest baby boy ... I'll have to post a pic! :D)
When you were most active on RB: Fandom thru Enthusiast thru Pixelstix into current RB, but tapering off in the last couple of years.
What people might remember you from: Probably my posts in the Tolkien Book section, and my obvious love affair with Robin Hood and the band, U2. :D
What you've been doing lately: Watching my kids turn into awesome adults :):):) (now ages 20, 22, 29). I had a couple of health issues to deal with the last year but getting better now.
"He walked into mid-autumn, hearing nothing but the winds. One night as he sat before his fire, vaguely feeling the winds urge against his shape, he looked down and saw the starred harp in his hands ..." (Mckillip, The Riddle Master trilogy)

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:41 am

Wow, I'm feeling old too, reading about teenagers becoming university grads etc. Good for you, by the way!

Original RB Name: I think it's always been Vairë
When you joined: early 2002
When you were most active on RB: while the movies were coming out and about a year beyond, usually to be found in the Boromir Appreciation Thread drooling over Sean Bean. :twisted:
What you've been doing lately: like Locksley, watching my kids grow up into awesome young adults. They're 24 and 21. I've been caring for my ailing mother for the past 3+ years, here in our house, and have taken up drawing and painting for a creative outlet. Looking forward to RB perking up with anticipation over The Hobbit!
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:54 pm

Original RB Name: lotrfotrttrotk
When you joined: March or April 2004...i could go look at what it says on my profile at RB but i'm feeling lazy.
When you were most active on RB: 2004-2006...basically, during high school when I had nothing else to do with my life. College has seen a decrease and a few hiatuses (??) but i'm back for now!
What you've been doing lately: college, mostly. I'm graduating in May with a BS in Biology, then i'll go be a bum at home for 6 months, then I'll go do medical things in Kenya for 6 months, then medical school will take over my life.

Missed all you recently-returned-ers!!
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

coffeegrrrl
N00b

Postby coffeegrrrl » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:30 am

Hi Locksley! thought I might see you around here still :)

Original RB Name(s):Coffeegrrrl
When you joined: 2001 I think? Maybe even 2000??
When you were most active on RB: 2001... used to race up to the computer room during my breaks at uni and join the live chat
What people might remember you from: Um... met up with some of the Melbourne members & Jac from Qld, went to NZ for the premiere of FOTR with Jac, Keith and my now husband Damien
What you've been doing lately: Married with a 14mth old son, just getting back into work... too much else to type out :)

locksley
House Elf

Postby locksley » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:19 pm

Wonderful to see everyone. :)

Hi, CG! Hugs!
"He walked into mid-autumn, hearing nothing but the winds. One night as he sat before his fire, vaguely feeling the winds urge against his shape, he looked down and saw the starred harp in his hands ..." (Mckillip, The Riddle Master trilogy)

Niamh Sage
House Elf

Postby Niamh Sage » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:13 pm

This is a great idea! And it's nice to see so many people coming out of the woodwork. :D

Original RB Name(s): Niamh Sage

When you joined: Early 2002, January I think, because I found RB while I was on holidays.

When you were most active on RB: Hmmm, probably 2002 - 2005 or 6?

What people might remember you from: In the early days, the places for RPG, writing, swooning (Orlando/Legolas, mainly) and general chatter on the old old forum (I can't remember what they were called any more! How sad.) Later I mostly hung out in Window and the library forums. Probably the most memorable thing I did on RB was meet my lovely husband, who some of you will remember (Arathoron/Ratatosk). We've been lucky enough to meet up with some of you on various occasions too (always nice to put faces to names!).

What you've been doing lately: After trailing distractedly back and forth between Europe and Australia for a few years, Arni and I settled in the Netherlands and became productive members of society (i.e. got jobs :P ). We got married in 2006, and welcomed our son Emrys (the Hobbit-Elf) into our family in 0ct 2007. We moved to Belgium at the end of 2008, and we're still here. We'd like to go back to Australia at some point, but I don't see that happening any time very soon, since we've got a mortgage and Ems is about to start school.

Other than that, Arni and I are still noodling about, writing stories and dreaming of getting published one day.

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:26 am

Tell Arni to get his butt on here!
[Under Construction]

Return to “Welcome/Membership Agreement”