What I've been doing since...

New to the site? Start a thread here and tell us about yourself! Also enter for site Membership Agreement.
MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Re: What I've been doing since...

Postby MsBrandybuck » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:31 pm

Welcome Arkenstone. :)

And CG (coffeegrrl) OMG!!! :):) Massive hugs to you!! I am glad to see the 'charter members' pop in.

Original RB Name(s): Brandybuck. Became MsBrandybuck when we moved to the Enthusiast boards.
When you joined: June 2001
When you were most active on RB: Fandom, Enthusiast and Pixelstix days. Dropped of a bit after that, being fairly absent the past year, but I never left.
What people might remember you from: I was always a MOD and was proud of naming the forum "Cottage of Lost Play." I was most noted for hanging out in the FORUM of Tom's Drawers. :D
What you've been doing lately: Still living in North Carolina. I work full time for a large corporation as a buyer/test equipment calibration manager (we wear several 'hats' in our company, result of downsizing.) My eldest daughter is finishing 2nd year of college and youngest daughter will be starting high school in the fall. She will be going to an alternative high school on the community college campus where she will attend for 5 years, at the end of which she will have earned her high school diploma AND a 2 year associates degree (A.A. of A.S.) And the BEST thing of this is that the school is free.
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:19 pm

Congratulations Merry! Wow... I didn't even know you got married. o_O Twins... good luck :D

Welcome Arkenstone!

Hello to everyone else who has come back :)
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

merryb
House Elf

Postby merryb » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:33 pm

Yep, married to an American, and have my conditional green card for another year an a half till I can get my permanent green card, then another year and I will apply for citizenship.

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:41 pm

once your kids are born here, doesn't that speed up the process? Or do they not do that because your wife is already a citizen?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

merryb
House Elf

Postby merryb » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:57 pm

lotrfotrttrotk wrote:once your kids are born here, doesn't that speed up the process? Or do they not do that because your wife is already a citizen?

No. My kids will automatically be citizens because their mother is a citizen, and they will be born in the US. Doesn't speed up my process at all.

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:20 pm

right, that I know...i thought I had heard something about parents getting citizenship because of their children. i don't remember when or where i heard it though. apparently not a reliable source. :P
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.

merryb
House Elf

Postby merryb » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:31 am

lotrfotrttrotk wrote:right, that I know...i thought I had heard something about parents getting citizenship because of their children. i don't remember when or where i heard it though. apparently not a reliable source. :P

Well yes, you can use your kids as sponsors for a green card. Would be the same timeline and process as using a spouse. conditional green card for two years, permanent green card for one year, apply for citizenship. Since I already have my conditional green card, it doesn't make much sense to start over ;)

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:10 pm

ah. ok.
The idea of an infant "sponsoring" anything is funny...

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:57 pm

Congrats on expecting twins, merry!
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

vispera
Mome Rath

Postby vispera » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:54 pm

barkybree wrote: Nobody thought Elwood could pull off Frodo;

and he never did! :lol:

vispera
Mome Rath

Postby vispera » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:06 pm

CG!!!!! *squeals and big hugs* omgomgomgomg!!! It's so good to see you!!!!

Original RB Name(s): vispera
When you joined: 2000 (I remember it clearly because it's tied to my resume. I worked a very boring internship that summer and needed to while away to hours.)
When you were most active on RB: 2000-2006ish? I was on Fandom, Enthusiast, and the very early .org days. I think the swooners drove me from it, though, and I hid away on another board with other oldtimers.
What people might remember you from: drunken chat, M&PT, locked in Maury's cave (I think I might still be there in fact...), and carousing in Tom's Drawers...Forum.
What you've been doing lately: Since the .org days I've gotten married and focused on my career, which sadly has gotten me nowhere. Bought a house with my husband in 2006 then moved to Minnesota last year for his job, leaving mine. Had to return to Maryland this year (stupid company going out of business--what's that all about?) but luckily had the house to return to. And here I am...desparately seeking job. lol :|
Attachments
2hulagirls.gif
2hulagirls.gif (33.82 KiB) Viewed 2181 times

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Sun May 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Original RB Name(s): Narsil then Withywindle
When you joined: 2001
When you were most active on RB: Fandom days probably before the place filled up with meddling kids ;)
What people might remember you from: Writing a lot of old cobblers mostly. :mrgreen:
What you've been doing lately: Working. I'll have to address that some day...
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Wed May 05, 2010 1:29 pm

I'm here...

Original RB Name(s): Snowdog, Halasian
When you joined: August 2001
When you were most active on RB: 2001-2002 when a good Tolkien RP or two was going. Can't say I've been real active since. I'm kind of like the turd that won't flush... ;)
What people might remember you from: Here, I don't know.
What you've been doing lately: Working, living and enjoying life, looking for good beer.
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

Dobber Reforged
N00b

Postby Dobber Reforged » Wed May 12, 2010 10:39 pm

Original RB Name(s): Never had one at RB, I was a professional lurker. Was once known as 'The Mighty Sword of Dobber' down at The Banks of the Withywindle

When you joined: 2004 ish (at the Banks)

What people might remember you for: Online verbal fencing, over opinionated trouble causing, creative swearing . . . . . :oops:

I'll go back to lurking now . . .
'-You always want something. You know in Tibet if they want something, they give something away.
-Do they? That must be why they're such a dominant global power.'

RonjaTook
N00b

Postby RonjaTook » Sun May 23, 2010 9:13 pm

Original RB Name(s): RonjaTook (obviously I decided to keep it)
When you joined: Way back in April 2004
When you were most active on RB: 2004 until around 2007, then real life took over. :lol: RB was one of the first message boards I've ever joined and I feel bad about not being so active in the past couple of years because being on RB helped me through the toughest time of my life.
What people might remember you from: Writing spn-off parodies about Legolas being a wench in the Cottage of Lost Play and a little bit (ok, maybe more than just a little :roll: :mrgreen: ) of Pippin swooning.
What you've been doing lately: I've moved to the USA in March to finally be together with my then-fiancé, now-husband. We got married on May 8th and now I'm waiting for my Green Card. I'm going to college in fall to start studying biology. Until then, I'll just keep on nibbling on a leftover corn cob... about the most exciting thing to do here in Iowa. :mrgreen:

Return to “Welcome/Membership Agreement”