Anyone Seen Passo largo around?

New to the site? Start a thread here and tell us about yourself! Also enter for site Membership Agreement.
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Anyone Seen Passo largo around?

Postby shireling » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:11 pm

MsBrandybuck wrote:It's tough to lose a parent, they've been with you your entire life.
Sorry for all of us here. ;)

My dad died of a massive heart attack when I was 25.
He'd had a small one which had put him in hospital. I was there with him when the big one hit. Stood outside the room while they worked on him, saw when they gave it up.

My mom died when I was 33. Felt like an orphan at this point- my eldest child was 2-1/2 years old at the time.

That is so young, honey. :hug: I can't imagine seeing your father go like that. :hug:

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:31 pm

Gee,MsB, that's so sad. :( Passo said that, because of his Alzheimer's, her Dad had to be in restraints and sedated. I can't imagine seeing a parent in that state. I told her your and Shireling's messages and she wrote "Send my hugs to Ms. Brandybuck and Shireling, and thank them for me." I'm sure that would extend to Locks too but I'm sorry to say that I missed her post and didn't pass her sentiments along, but I'll do that now.

As for our parents, it's a very tough loss. My Mom lives with us now, is 93, on oxygen 24/7 and has very limited mobility due to severe osteoporosis, so I feel like I've been watching her die by inches for a couple years now. "Old age ain't for chickens" - no kidding! Fortunately, however, she's still pretty witty and I try to enjoy her company as much as I can.

By the way, Passo's not meaning to be back to RB either. :( She lost a cousin last year who cared for HER mom and aunt, so Passo is keeping an eye on those two, as well as she still has her own mom to look after.
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:36 pm

Vairë wrote:Gee,MsB, that's so sad. :( Passo said that, because of his Alzheimer's, her Dad had to be in restraints and sedated. I can't imagine seeing a parent in that state. I told her your and Shireling's messages and she wrote "Send my hugs to Ms. Brandybuck and Shireling, and thank them for me." I'm sure that would extend to Locks too but I'm sorry to say that I missed her post and didn't pass her sentiments along, but I'll do that now.
O my God!...*tears* She's most welcome, always.

As for our parents, it's a very tough loss. My Mom lives with us now, is 93, on oxygen 24/7 and has very limited mobility due to severe osteoporosis, so I feel like I've been watching her die by inches for a couple years now. "Old age ain't for chickens" - no kidding! Fortunately, however, she's still pretty witty and I try to enjoy her company as much as I can.

You are wonderful children :hug: "Caring for the old ain't for chickens either".

By the way, Passo's not meaning to be back to RB either. :( She lost a cousin last year who cared for HER mom and aunt, so Passo is keeping an eye on those two, as well as she still has her own mom to look after.

That just staggers me. When she does rest, I hope her dreams are all brimful of Aragorn.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:17 am

You are wonderful children "Caring for the old ain't for chickens either".

Thanks, it can get frustrating! :bang:

I hope Passo has some nice Aragorn dreams too! :bad:
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:10 am

I live with my mother now and though she's still quite strong (she's 72 now), I realize very well that her physical strength is fading. She used to care for my grandmother, who had Parkinson's (she had to be restrained and sedated as well, so I can imagine what Passo went through because it was a pretty tough time). After that, it was my dad (who died 7 years ago). She's been taking care of others for such a long time, it's only fair that it is my turn to take care of her now, as long as I can.

No, neither is the old age something for chickens, nor is caring for your parents! Sometimes I feel like I'm watching over a kid instead of a parent... but all in all, I'm very fortunate, since she's still doing well, physically and mentally.

I think it's time for a letter to Passo...
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:13 pm

How the tables have turned, eh Paddy? Now we're the parents! Your mom, at 72, is still young. I hope she has many good years left to her, and you. I never dreamt I'd be living with a parent again so the last 5 years has been difficult at times, especially as Mom has gone downhill fairly dramatically. I'm thankful her mind isn't too bad though, and she doesn't demand a lot of attention. She prefers to watch tv by herself most of the time, where she can doze off in peace! :lol: I'm sure Passo would love to hear from you. :hug:

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:03 am

It is tough to take care of your own parents.
Vaire and Paddy- it is nice that you both can take care of your moms. It's definitely not easy, and it is tough to watch them decline; but a blessing to be able to take care of them and have them with you still.

Please- would one of you send me a message with Passo's home address? I'm not sure I still have it- and I'd love to send her a card to let her know I'm thinking of her.
Thanks. :)
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:19 am

MsB, address is on the way!

How the tables have turned, eh Paddy? Now we're the parents!

Indeed! :hug: Though I really can't complain. As I said, she's still going quite strong, and I'm happy for that! She's still doing her beloved gardening (with the help of her brother and his wife), and as far as I'm concerned I consider this is a good sign :)
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:24 pm

It's great your Mom is still gardening, Paddy. That's hard work! But if one can continue doing something one loves, it makes a huge difference. I feel sorry for my Mom because she was an avid walker, was too nervous to drive, and now she can barely make it to the kitchen from her tv room. She doesn't have the concentration to knit or do jigpaw puzzles anymore. She nods off a lot so even reading is difficult. About her greatest joy these days is doing crossword puzzles I print off the internet for her. I'm so thankful for computers in this case! (Well, in many cases) She can't even enjoy her meals because she had pneumonia a few years ago and hasn't been able to taste or smell anything since! :wtf:

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:41 pm

Aw, that's sad, Vaire, that she can't enjoy her food. But at least she's still doing crossword puzzles, that's marvelous!
— Worf

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:42 pm

Paddy- thanks for the address!!
— Worf

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:48 am

Yes, at least there's still SOMEthing she can do and get a feeling of accomplishment! :lol:

Return to “Welcome/Membership Agreement”