Hello, I'm new here

New to the site? Start a thread here and tell us about yourself! Also enter for site Membership Agreement.
Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Hello, I'm new here

Postby Candy Kane » Sun May 09, 2010 7:39 pm

Hello, I'm Candy, and I like horror, sci-fi and all kinds of fantasy. I'm one of those geeks who will inherit the earth. Well, a bit of it, anyway. Nice to meet you all.

I write fanfiction and original stuff, too.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Re: Hello, I'm new here

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Sun May 09, 2010 8:22 pm

Hello Candy!
Welcome to...well I don't even know what to call it, since we haven't really decided on a name yet...but welcome! Make yourself at home!
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Mon May 10, 2010 5:55 am

Welcome to "Dark Fantasy" ! That's what it says in the upper left corner....
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am

:lol:
that's the name of the background theme we're using! :)
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Mon May 10, 2010 12:15 pm

Welcome Candy! :)

Haha Hal, it'd be funny to name ourselves after a phpbb theme... Welcome to SubSilver! Welcome to GreenVision! Welcome to BasicBlack!
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Mon May 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Thanks, guys. I'm looking forward to hanging with you, whatever you decide to call this place. :D

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Mon May 10, 2010 3:06 pm

I think calling this place Dark Fantasy would get the wrong type of people :lol:

Welcome to "the forum" Candy :D
[Under Construction]

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Mon May 10, 2010 9:17 pm

Welcome to the forum, Candy Kane. It is good to see that seem to be a real person and not a spambot that has found this hyar place. :D

I like sci-fi a lot, too. There are some interesting ideas floating around out there. 8-)
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue May 11, 2010 2:20 pm

Spammers are idiots. I just want to hang with friendly people and yak about stuff.

Actually, you don't seem to have a subforum for horror. Am I the only one who likes a bit of Dracula and Frankenstein, etc.?

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Tue May 11, 2010 3:47 pm

I have read both Dracula by Bram Stoker and Frankestein by Mary Shelly. I liked them both and was, as usual, astounded by how the movie makers had changed things so much. Too bad most people don't read the original stories.

I like some HP Lovecraft sometimes but he seemed to spend too much time telling the reader they should be frightened instead of writing something that would frighten. He came up with some interesting ideas, though.

Some Stephen King is good. His earlier stuff was a lot better than the stuff in the middle of his career. He got way off track for a few years after he got ran over. The stories he has come out with in the last few years seem to be getting back to what made him good in the beginning.
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue May 11, 2010 4:10 pm

I loved reading Dracula and Frankenstein, too. The back stories of both novels are very interesting as well. Stevenson's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Poe's short stories are also favorites of mine. Maybe I'm wrong to say, as much as I loved Vincent Price, that I didn't much like those films made with the same names as Poe's stories.

(Sorry to have taken us off topic, but there's one movie that I would love to see again, and I can't remember the name. It starred Price, Lorre and Basil Rathbone. Price and Lorre were undertakers and they kept trying to bury Rathbone whose character had narcolepsy. It is hysterical! Does anybody know what I'm talking about?)

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Tue May 11, 2010 4:38 pm

The Comedy of Terrors 1963
Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Basil Rathbone, Boris Karloff, Joe E. Brown.

Wikipedia The Comedy of Terrors

IMBD The Comedy of Terrors
Audere est Facere

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue May 11, 2010 5:33 pm

Thanks, Tom :)

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Tue May 11, 2010 9:07 pm

Hi Candi! Welcome! We were mostly a Tolkien/Lord of the Rings site in our previous iterations, but now that the movies have passed and we've dissected/tlaked-them-to-death we are hoping to fashion a site that encompasses a wider range of geek-fandom.
Horror most certainly is a welcome discussion here.
I also like the classics; Poe, Lovecraft, etc. as well as Stephen King (spot on criticism, TC), Dean Koontz, etc.

I also enjoyed that movie, Comedy of Terrors. I would LOVE to be able to see it again somehow.
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Wed May 12, 2010 7:16 am

Dracula is one of my favorite books :) Though I can't recommend Stoker's other writing. His short stories are hit or miss and his novel The Lair of the White Worm is just awful in its incongruity and disconnectedness.

Poe is one of my favorite writers, and I also like Lovecraft very much though he tends to wax a tad repetitive.

Gaiman does GOOD horror short stories and is one of my favorite writers in general.

I don't care for Stephen King-style horror. I've read a couple of his novels and some short stories and they just leave me feeling like people generally suck.

An author I want to look into more is Clive Barker. He has a YA fantasy series (Abarat, only 2 books out so far) that I *really* enjoy, it has horror elements to it which I really like. I've only read one other book by him, Cabal, and I enjoyed it - so I'm going to pick up more of his stuff in the future. Anyone else read him?
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Return to “Welcome/Membership Agreement”