Art Moot

GriffinRider
N00b

Art Moot

Postby GriffinRider » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:02 pm

Let us artists converse! And also to start a good thing.

How about an art moot; introduce your style, your likes, your dislikes, your medium, and we'll talk about it!

I for one am working on a Bachelor of Art with a concentration in Drawing. Illustration i am thinking. I love Realism, and Romanticism... The more I learn the more i find i am an academic artist. (yes i know, very old fashioned of me.)
I love the smell of graphite in the morning (oh and coffee too)
I am really enjoying Fairies work, and somewhat older William Blake, Turner and Waterhouse!

Lets hear what the artists of this reunited RB are all about!

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Re: Art Moot

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:55 am

Im only in art at an ameture level. I like realism depending on the subject, and am a huge fan of surrealism.
Myself, i mostly draw characters for my stories, the occasional pinup, a load of dragons, and occasionally other things.
I work in pencil on paper and sometimes outline and colour with pens or pencil crayon.

As far as 3d art goes, i love playing with clay but i dont get to do it terribly often anymore :(
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

Arkenstone
N00b

Postby Arkenstone » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:42 am

I love looking at acrylic paintings and charcoal drawings. And art that brings unreal things to life(like dragons). I cant think of any dislikes of art i can think of at the moment, there is no ``bad art`` I have seen.

I have created 3d carvings in yellow cedar with chisels, but the majority of what I do now is forge knives.

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:48 pm

At almost 52, I just started dabbling with pencil drawing and watercolour painting about 3 or 4 years ago. I don't get a lot of time to play with it but it's a most enjoyable passtime. I shift from drawing pencil portraits (usually of LotR characters from the movies) to watercolour and back again.

I enjoy pretty much all forms of art but must confess I don't understand a lot of abstract, be it painting or sculpture. If it somehow pleases the senses, then I might like the piece.

Do we include music in our Art discussions? My main preference is classical, but I enjoy most everything else, country and rap excluded. Sorry. Also really enjoy watching dance - ballet, contemporary, jazz, etc. One of my favourite shows is "So You Think You Can Dance". I studied ballet for 10 years in my youth but was never good at it. :)
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:57 am

Oh, how cool! I dabble in CSS and make my own banners, design websites and stuff like that. I've done a bit of painting and drawing. The results are best described as "naive art." They're hanging in the spare room and the living room. I'll have to upload them for you to see.

I was into songwriting for a while, and worked with a couple of bands, but nothing came of it. Mind you, it was fun while it lasted.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:43 pm

Candy Kane, I like your term "naive art"! I'd love to see them. Do we have a gallery forum here, I wonder? Must check that out. What is CSS? I think it's very clever of you to be able to design websites. I have NO idea how to do that. And you're into songwriting as well! I enjoy a little story-writing now and then myself, but it's only for my own enjoyment and time-wasting! :lol:
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:42 am

Vairë wrote:Candy Kane, I like your term "naive art"! I'd love to see them. Do we have a gallery forum here, I wonder? Must check that out. What is CSS? I think it's very clever of you to be able to design websites. I have NO idea how to do that. And you're into songwriting as well! I enjoy a little story-writing now and then myself, but it's only for my own enjoyment and time-wasting! :lol:

We don't have a gallery forum, but I'm working on something to make that happen... in a different format. If there's a big demand for it, I mean.

I can't really design websites from scratch -- what I do is take an existing template and alter it to suit myself. It's easy enough to change the background, banner, text and things like that. If you ever start a website of your own using the free hosts available (which I do), you will find that most of them come with a sitebuilder. Those that don't will allow you to upload a theme of your own, and there are many free ones around.

There are CSS and HTML tutorials on various websites. I googled "CSS Tutorial" and "HTML Tutorial" to find them, and have to refer to them when I'm making changes -- usually when something goes horribly wrong. Which it does. And much more often than I'd like. What you see when I'm showing off is the result of sweating, swearing and starting all over again many times! I recommend having a go at it yourself. If I can do it, anyone can.

I've got a story archive, among other things, at my website, http://writers-rendezvous.co.cc. You may end up getting one here at RB. I'd love to see your work.

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:07 pm

:lol: I can certainly understand the "sweating, swearing and starting all over again many times" bit - it happens to be a a large part of nearly every aspect of my life these days! Are you the architect of the new background theme here at Remember the Balrog then? It's just fantastic - I love it!

I haven't written anything recently. I tend to get into phases where I am absorbed in one thing and drop everything else, and lately it's been switching between pencil drawings and a little painting. And I've had precious little time for that too over the summer - I don't know why. It's just been a VERY busy season!

My only concern, I guess, about posting artwork, etc., is the privacy issue. I'd prefer anything I did was only viewable by RBers and wouldn't turn up on just anyone's computer when they did an image search, and I don't know if that's possible. Not that my stuff is so good or anything! (looking for "embarrassed" smilie and I see we've got a new collection! Need an "embarrassed" one now!)

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:04 pm

Vairë wrote::lol: I can certainly understand the "sweating, swearing and starting all over again many times" bit - it happens to be a a large part of nearly every aspect of my life these days! Are you the architect of the new background theme here at Remember the Balrog then? It's just fantastic - I love it!

*Blush!* Erm, all I did was alter the colours of the existing graphics. Not one of them is original. I nicked the brown velvet background from a textile website. I'm one of those people you are wary of: anything that's not nailed down is fair game to me, graphics-wise. The banner is by emclelland, which she made based on suggestions made by us. It's original in every way, as far as I'm aware.

I haven't written anything recently. I tend to get into phases where I am absorbed in one thing and drop everything else, and lately it's been switching between pencil drawings and a little painting. And I've had precious little time for that too over the summer - I don't know why. It's just been a VERY busy season!

Perhaps you've got some old stuff you can put up on the archive when it's ready. It seems we're going to have one.

My only concern, I guess, about posting artwork, etc., is the privacy issue. I'd prefer anything I did was only viewable by RBers and wouldn't turn up on just anyone's computer when they did an image search, and I don't know if that's possible.

You can set your image host to private or for viewing by people with a password if you have an account on Photobucket or on Box.net. I'm not sure who else offers such a service.

Not that my stuff is so good or anything! (looking for "embarrassed" smilie and I see we've got a new collection! Need an "embarrassed" one now!)

You should see mine! I'm not too shy to put it up. If someone finds fault and can help me improve by offering suggestions, I'll accept and apply them. That's why I'm keen on posting my stories on archives: to get reviews that can help me make them better.

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:34 pm

Well you and emclelland have done a 5-star job on the new RB! The banner perfectly describes the myriad of ideas and themes we RBers discuss, with the old RB fondly remembered in the silver framed Balrog. :lol: The warm brown fabric background is like a cozy security blanket. It's fun and friendly. Well done!

I do have a Photobucket account so that would work. :yes: I'm sure there will be plenty to critique of my artwork once we're up and showing, but I agree with you on some constructive criticism. That would be most welcome! I belong to a small on-line group of amateur artists who critique each other's work and it's been very beneficial.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:46 am

I am positively gob-smacked over the work you and emclelland have done on this theme and banner, Candy! :yes: Excellent job!

And all the new smilies!!! :D I can express myself :yay: !!!

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:39 am

I've been writing again! I had an epiphany the other.. month was it? and sorta rebooted my life which included making some goals to keep the "reboot" going. I've decided that by next september i'll have a manuscript ready to sent to publishers!

As for visual stuff, i'm working on putting together a calender of classic pinup style drawings but with nerd-girl themes. Part of this is that i like drawing them and part of this is due to the fact that i think it is fine to be smart and sexy at the same time. Being in the nerd community but being someone who does spend time on appearance, i've got a lot of flack from other girls who see it as "shallow" ect instead of as an expressive outlet and a way to feel good. On the flip side i encounter a lot of nerd girls who are convinced they arent/cant be pretty. So i am all for a nerd pinup calender, which also gives me a goal to reach with my drawing.

As far as sharing my art goes, i am a fan of Deviant Art, but maybe that is because i have had mine for so long. You can choose the copyright level for things you post, so that may help you Vaire, but i am working on hiding my more embarassing (read: highschool poetry) work without taking it down completely >.<

my gallery here: http://ladynightfire.deviantart.com/ for the interested. Please do ignore the bad >.< and sorry for the image quality, i am lacking in the scanner department.

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:43 pm

What a wonderful gallery, ElviraStarkeeper! I hope you get a scanner soon, although I'm rather disappointed in mine - well it's not the scanner so much as the effect on the drawings when they have to be re-sized to post. Then they lose so much of the fine detail, it's frustrating. I love your drawings of the nerd girls - especially the one with the red pumps, garters and top hat. She's excellent! Are you already a published writer? It's exciting that you'll have something ready in a year's time. Deviant Art looks like a good site. I like the way your poetry blocks scroll up as you read them. I only read a few of yours but I liked them. Good for you, doing what you love to do! Keep it up!

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:18 pm

Thanks, all of you. Well the archive is up and linked on the main menu now. I look forward to reading your stories and whatnot. Please sign up and get posting -- there's only one story in there ATM and it's a bit lonely. :D

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:49 am

Thanks Vaire ^_^ The one with the top-hat is probably the one i am the most proud of.
And oh heck no i am not officially published at all, but it's a goal!
Deviant Art is a good site if you can avoid the droves of bad anime fan art with cat ears :P

And Candy, i will get posting as soon as i move! till then i'm a little preoccupied! :P

Return to “Art”