Art Moot

Vairë
Crimebuster

Re: Art Moot

Postby Vairë » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:05 am

Normally our climate is much like yours (on the west coast anyway) but I hear we're getting some El Nino/La Nina climate thing happening and we're supposed to get a colder, snowier winter than usual. We have central heating fueled by natural gas. It's not sufficient to keep the downstairs (where my office is) warm enough so I bundle up in a fleece jacket or shawls, and I have an electric heater. It's great down here in the summer since it's cooler than upstairs, but I don't appreciate freezing in winter! Your spare room sounds cosy!
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:50 am

Our spare room is small, which I suppose helps. Erm, have you considered putting something up against the window to help keep the heat in? When it's really cold, I have a sheet of rubbery plastic foam (it's some kind of floor liner, I think) that I put up where the net curtains would go. It slows down the rate of heat loss and keeps the heating bills down.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:00 pm

We do have thermal curtains on the bigger windows of the house, but it's a big house and the central heating has to work hard to heat all the rooms. We have double-paned windows which helps a lot with heating and cooling. We had single-paned windows in an old house we had once and I used to put a film like plastic wrap over the windows and then you shrink it with a blow-dryer to make it tight and neat. It worked well in keeping out drafts. It's snowing again today. :(
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:03 pm

It might be worth doing the plastic wrap thing again. I hate being cold, though -- your fingers go yellow and numb, then you can't type -- and that is very bad!

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:03 pm

:lol: That would be very bad! My office doesn't get THAT cold, but it probably wouldn't be such a bad idea to cover the windows. :yes:

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:06 pm

I used to work in an office where it got very cold. Sometimes we had to work with our coats on!

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:55 pm

How miserable! You'd think there'd be laws against that! :(

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:04 am

We kicked off, and it got sorted out. When people start walking out, the bosses have to do something!

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:48 am

I should think so! We got more snow today and now it's really cold - heading down to -11 C tonight, -18 with the wind chill factor. This is quite abnormal for us! Brrrrr!

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:04 pm

Eeeek! That's cold! *Shivers in sympathy.*

Back to topic, have you ever messed about with graphics? GIMP is free to download, and there are tutorials on the site for doing stuff like animation.

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:01 am

I do actually have GIMP but haven't got around to figuring it out yet. A friend of mine was helping me align a pencil portrait I was doing and showed me how I could use it to graph the photo and my picture. I haven't figured out what he did yet, but it would be an extremely helpful tool for me. I have so many duties that I barely get time to draw/paint so when I do, I try to cram as much as I can in, so studying up on something is pushed to the back burner. I would benefit more by doing the studying first, but I'm too impatient!

I did a little slide show a year or so ago but I forget what program I used for that. Actually I did two, one "funny" and the other rather dramatic with music. I'd love to show them to you but I don't know if I can post them here in any way.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:19 am

If you can't post them here you could link to them. The best way to start on GIMP is to alter an existing image. I started off by adding captions. To add captions, click on the text tool.

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:30 am

I added captions to the "funny" one I did. I'll see if I can post a link using the video button. Can you access my Photobucket though, I wonder?
http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk54 ... rvivor.mp4 I didn't use the video button. Couldn't get it to work, so it's just a plain link to my Photobucket account.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:27 am

I saw it and loved it. It seems that the system doesn't like Photobucket videos. If this was up on YouTube you'd be able to embed it.

Nice work!

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Thank you, Candy! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :) I had a lot of fun doing it. I don't know what it means to "embed" something though. Also, I'm probably violating all sorts of copyright laws!

PS - how secure is that link? Just wondering if you are able to see my other stuff in my account, or if it's just the little video?

Return to “Art”