The Ivy Bush - General Chat

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: The Ivy Bush - General Chat

Postby shireling » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:43 pm

The flu is just rampant here! I wish more people would get the shot - especially seniors with grandchildren and great-grand babies. I've got too many friends who absolutely refuse :( .

How's your leg coming along, Paddy?

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Allegra
Mome Rath

Postby Allegra » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:50 pm

Hi shireling. I hope you are doing okay.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:33 pm

OMG! Hello, sweetie! :hug: I'm okay :D ! How are you? Good to hear from you :) !

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Allegra
Mome Rath

Postby Allegra » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:08 pm

I am doing okay. I picked up new behind the ear hearing aids today. My brother mailed me a cheque to cover them. They still cost $5420.00 but I can get $1000 back with insurance.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Wow, I hope the hearing aids work well for you. It was wonderful of your brother to help like this :) . What else have you been up to?

Allegra
Mome Rath

Postby Allegra » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:16 pm

I sold my house in 2016 and moved in with two cats to a condo. They are named George and Missy. George was not a healthy cat and I spent a lot of money treating him. He had to wear a collar full time because of excessive licking, ate special vet food and was on medication. Still I managed to successfully treat him for ten years. Last March, when he was 11 he began to slow down, wasn't greeting me, wasn't eating much and never greeted me when I got home from work. He became constipated so I took him in and he was given an enema and was released the next day. That night he was refusing to eat for the first time so I took him back and they found out that he had become obstructed and couldn't urinate. I realized that his body was probably shutting down. He was also losing a ton of weight. The vet agreed with me that it was his time and we had him euthanized. Missy who used to be standoffish has changed completely. She is enjoying all the attention from me and has become so friendly now. I love living in a condo without worrying about maintenance now.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:00 am

Allegra wrote:I sold my house in 2016 and moved in with two cats to a condo. They are named George and Missy. George was not a healthy cat and I spent a lot of money treating him. He had to wear a collar full time because of excessive licking, ate special vet food and was on medication. Still I managed to successfully treat him for ten years. Last March, when he was 11 he began to slow down, wasn't greeting me, wasn't eating much and never greeted me when I got home from work. He became constipated so I took him in and he was given an enema and was released the next day. That night he was refusing to eat for the first time so I took him back and they found out that he had become obstructed and couldn't urinate. I realized that his body was probably shutting down. He was also losing a ton of weight. The vet agreed with me that it was his time and we had him euthanized.

I'm so sorry to hear about George :( . You were a wonderful cat mama to him; not everybody would have given all of that time, care and affection for so long. I do have two friends - one with a cat and another with a dog - and they both were just as loving to their four-legged family members as you were, right up to the end. But, in the whole of my experience, it's not common. God bless you.

Missy who used to be standoffish has changed completely. She is enjoying all the attention from me and has become so friendly now.

So now Miss Missy has you all to herself :D!

I love living in a condo without worrying about maintenance now.

We went directly from apartments to condo-living 27 years ago. Before I was married, both Duane and I lived in our parents' houses and helped out with yard work and such, but it was never like you've had, with your own house. I saw it was a lot of work and worry.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:27 pm

So nice to see you around, Allegra! :hug:

I'm sorry to hear about George - we had to have our Leah euthanized in late 2015, it was her time, too. She had been ill for a while and when she stopped eating, we knew it was time to let her go.

In February 2016, Timmy moved in, we got him from my brother-in-law's sister who had been caring for him about 2 years, but he didn't get along with her own tom. It took him some time to feel at home, but - as you can probably read from our posts - he has taken over the reign completely, :D and he's such a loveable boy. We hope to keep him for many years to come, he's a joy to mom and myself.

Much better. I've been able to walk without crutches for about 4 weeks now. Sometimes there's still pain searing through the knee, and sometimes the knee gives way underneath me, but all in all I can't complain. I need to build up proper muscles again, so I'm working on that. Oh, and I'm on food monitoring, hoping to lose weight. I can't say much about it yet, since I've only been doing it for 2 weeks now, but I'm learning, and I'm confident.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:18 pm

Much better. I've been able to walk without crutches for about 4 weeks now. Sometimes there's still pain searing through the knee, and sometimes the knee gives way underneath me, but all in all I can't complain. I need to build up proper muscles again, so I'm working on that...

Searing pain? Knee gives way? Begging your pardon, but It sounds just plain awful to me, Paddy. I'll complain for you, somebody should; I'm good at that :D . Please take care, sweetie. Remember your legs aren't going anywhere without you.
...and I'm on food monitoring, hoping to lose weight. I can't say much about it yet, since I've only been doing it for 2 weeks now, but I'm learning, and I'm confident.

My current goal is to weigh less than Trump by June :) .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:37 pm

I am on sick leave because I caught a bad cold as well as a UTI. Mom' s caught a cold as well. Nurse Timmy ist dividing bis time between the two of us. The rest of the family is cold as well.
It's going round and round.

Off to the hot-water bottle again...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:10 pm

Oh sweetie! :hug: *2 big mugs of tea with honey and lemon*

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:42 pm

Honey and lemon did the work, although it takes its time. Still coughing, but the sneezing is much better, and the fever is definitely gone. Timmy got so used to my being at home (and going back to bed after feeding him at 6 a.m. :lol: ) that he's NOT going to like it when I get back to going to work on Monday. :lol: :lol: (and I got used to sleep until 8 a.m. as well :D )

Mom's doing better as well, but this cold (or flu) is very persisting. All of the family were ill, my sister, her husband and the girls as well. Above all, my brother-in-law broke his (artifical) hip while bike-racing cross-country with his son (he is 70, by the way). He refused to go to the doctor because he was conviced nothing happened (even though he was bruised black and blue, and in pain), but on Monday he collapsed and my sister drove him to the hospital. They kept him there right away. The X-Rays showed that his hip was in pieces. The surgery took place on Thursday, and he's recovering now. He left the ICU today, and now we're waiting for him to get a place in rehab.

The last two weeks were real winter. Temperatures (during daytime) around -10°C (nighttime would be around -15°) and beautiful weather, sunny and dry - the snow came only just last night. Now it's perfect Christmas weather :lol: :lol: No sign of Spring in sight yet. :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:49 pm

It sounds like you've been having flu-issues over there, too. I can imagine Timmy's joy now, and his wrath later :lol: , going back to work.

The tale of your brother-in-law's hip has got me wincing! OY! I'll say this for him, he is one tough dude! He is totally amazing. Speaking of legs, I hope yours is much better, Paddy.

We had snow again last night. Just a smattering, but the heat came on twice since 5 AM. It'll be warmer come Sunday, when Michael visits :D.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:59 am

My flu is back. This one ist like an unwanted visitor who refuses to leave and makes himself comfortable - and when you think you finally got rid of it, it sneaks in again through the backdoor and hits you from behind. With a baseball bat.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:02 pm

Padfoot wrote:My flu is back. This one ist like an unwanted visitor who refuses to leave and makes himself comfortable - and when you think you finally got rid of it, it sneaks in again through the backdoor and hits you from behind. With a baseball bat.

Oh my goodness, Paddy. I imagine the weather isn't helping. February was much warmer, and less turbulent than these first two weeks of March here.

I have a really cute dog post in Pets. I hope it cheers you, sweetie :hug:

Return to “General Chat”