The Ivy Bush - General Chat

Padfoot
Time Lord

Re: The Ivy Bush - General Chat

Postby Padfoot » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:09 am

Happy birthday, Cassie B! May you have a great day, and I hope you're safe and healthy, wherever you are!

Here's to you! :downapint: :cheers: :bday: :bday:
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

Padfoot
Time Lord

Postby Padfoot » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:11 am

Good morning. Back at work, after enjoying a rather loneley weekend. If it weren't for Timmy, I wouldn't have spoken anyone. I can understand how people get depressed. It's taking its toll on everyone. I just arrived at the office, and first thing was that a colleague called to tell me he's in quarantine, because the teacher at his son's kindergarten has Covid.

I do feel encircled by now. And still we carry on with no real lockdown.. I'm waiting for a delivery of medical masks to arrive, I ordered 120 pieces (40 for my sister, 40 for myself and the other 40 as a gift for my landlords, my aunt and my godfather). They should have arrived last Saturday, but didn't. :? I just hope someone didn't snag them on their way. From today on, we all have to wear medical masks, at least when out shopping, or using public transport. Luckily, I started stocking up a few weeks ago, because I had a feeling this was coming. So I was able to give some masks away to my godfather and his wife. Now I just need the refill to arrive. :D

Timmy's complaing about the snow, but that doesn't keep him from going out every 15 minutes. :D :lol: I put up bird food opposite our kitchen and dining place windows, so he spends a lot of time behind the window, watching bird cinema. :lol: :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:01 pm

Michael got his first dose of vaccine. :D The next will be around the 11th of February - our 1st is the 8th. I am so glad this is happening!

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Time Lord

Postby Padfoot » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:37 am

This is good to know. We don't have dates yet, but considering age and everything else, it'll probably summer until it's my turn.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:41 am

I know it's taking a while. I found myself wondering if I could help give shots. I worked in a nursing home, gosh, some forty years ago, and I was taught how to give IMs back then. It can't be that hard to learn to do again.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Padfoot
Time Lord

Postby Padfoot » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:29 am

That might be a good idea. Are they looking for volunteers?

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:11 am

They have been looking, but I don't know where to volunteer. And I think until I've had the shots myself, they wouldn't want me. Both Duane and I are scheduled for the 2cnd week of February, and I'm thinking that once I've been vaccinated, I can ask whom ever does the deeds when if I can help. The needles look like insulin ones, and it's just a short poke to the upper arm. I can't wait for this to get everywhere and cover the globe to kill the nasty bugger. It looks like riding a bike, I should be able to do it again. People give themselves shots all over the world every day. All they can tell me is no.

Padfoot
Time Lord

Postby Padfoot » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:09 am

Good morning. I haven't been feeling too well for a couple of days. Light depression, it finally caught me.. that and a pinched nerve in my lower back. But it's getting better now. Slowly. Just the headaches won't go away. It's this yo-yo weather, this up-and-down-and-up-again.

We went through one-and-a-half-week of winter. Real winter. Temperatures between -12 °C and -20 °C. Timmy still liked to venture outside, but only for 2 minutes at a time. :D We didn't get that much snow, other parts of the country have been hit worse than we. We got the ice instead. But it's OK. I kept Timmy inside for the last couple of days because I had to use a lot of de-icing salt, and I don't want him to get hurt. Then my washing machine broke down. I didn't notice at first because it kept running "normal", I just wondered why the laundry came out as dirty as it was, and by chance, last Saturday morning while it was running, I checked the temperature and noticed that it hadn't been heating up. It was supposed to be >60 °C, and the glass window was as cold as ice, as was the water. Since the stores are still closed, I checked online and found that my favourite local store has a website and they are available via phone. I went to their website, did some checking on washing machines and called them. Since we had an insurance for the old machine, I was able to afford a good new one for a very reasonable price. To be honest, I had been expecting it, the machine was more than 11 years old. I also decided to replace my tumbler. I've had it since 1994 and it never failed me. It was still working, but after 27 years, I thought it's better to replace both machines now and not to wait until the tumbler breaks down as well. They made a very good offer, and since they deliver, install the new ones and remove the old machines, I ordered and had my new machines delivered and installed by Wednesday morning.

I'm glad you were able to see Michael again. What's wrong with his caregiver? You don't want to discuss politics, so she ought to respect that. She's the guest in your house. :shruggy:

The number of vaccinated people are slowly increasing, there's still not enough vaccine to be delivered. My turn will probably be some time this summer, and I'll be patiently waiting until then. However, it has turned out, that a lot of people (politicians, mostly), have been massively queue-jumping to get their shots (as well as for their families and friends etc. etc.), and people are getting angry about it. As well as about some soccer clubs demanding the players getting their shots before "normal" people, so as to safely travel around the world for the international league matches.

Not much of a fan of those new medical masks we have to wear when out in public (shopping or public transport), I'd prefer to wear the "ordinary" self-made masks any time. But it's ok. I don't have to wear them every day and every hour. I plan my shopping trips and wear the self-made-masks every other day. I also keep a set of masks in my glove compartment, to avoid bad surprises... So far it has worked out.

I've started to look out for a new car (been driving my current car for 8 years now), but I am undecided. We don't have enough supply stations for E-cars here and I'm not sure about Hybrids, especially since there have been some incidents with exploding batteries. So far my car is still doing fine, but it can't hurt to be informed. :shruggy:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:09 am

I've got to remember your chronicle in dealing with the washer and dryer! :notworthy: Amazing, girl! Now, I don't have either one of those, but when I think of my fridge and oven, I realize I need a plan. They were brand-new in '03, and might not make it 25 years, besides which I bought them at Sears, which has left for the Grey Havens.

Speaking of salt, we've been tracking quite a bit inside. This is the first year since '97 that I don't have to worry about a four-footed critter getting into the crystals. As for the political situation with Renee, she's figured it out on her own. We had no trouble at all today. But we have been buried in snow - wet, heavy, snow - that simply defies you when you want to move it. The cold is not fun for Duane, but the temperatures are just above freezing, and bearable for me. What annoys me is pulling out of the parking space while they're shoveling, but nobody comes to sweep the spot - no even with the truck. It sounds as though temps will be in the 50's F. come Wednesday, and I look forward to that.

And I love the fact that people are getting vaccinated, even if they're all able-bodied and aggressive types that push their way through and past the rest of us. Herd immunity is a nice option until we grannies can get it done. Mike's finished with his, and we are waiting to be called to get ours. I told the local public health about my situation, getting hugged and kissed and all over a suspicious baby disappearance. Btw, the little boy's fine, though I don't believe he trudged home through the snow (some 11 inches) at the age of 4-ish. Mike wandered off and I was told, meh, he's probably home waiting for you. I cried hysterically, until we found him.

We've got lots of masks! Disposable, sewn, thick, thin, with pockets for filters, without pockets - I'm really happy with the bunch we've got. And there's no trouble getting either one of my guys to wear them.

And a new car sounds wonderful. But I'm like you. If what I have isn't broke, I'll wait. And Girlfriend is fine where it counts - though a new coat of paint wouldn't go amiss.

sara

Return to “General Chat”