Favourite recipe blogs/websites?

highlyeccentric
House Elf

Favourite recipe blogs/websites?

Postby highlyeccentric » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:18 am

So, tell me about your favourite websites for recipes? Baking, meals, snacks - where do you turn?

Personally, I get a lot of good stuff from the Dreamwidth community batchlunch - lots of hearty soups and casseroles.

If I'm after a recipe for something in particular, the first place I turn is taste.com.au - the instructions are usually simple-to-follow, the dishes almost always delicious. Plus they have lots of recipes which are cheap to assemble, low fat, and/or seasonal for Australia!

I really enjoy reading Ice Cream Before Dinner, but to be honest, I haven't made much of her stuff - I prefer to get my cake recipes from cookbooks.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Favourite recipe blogs/websites?

Postby shireling » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:20 am

I just checked out batchlunch and it looks really good. A number of nice couscous recipes (I adore them), and I've been thinking about making a meatloaf after all these years (I love it in a cold sandwich with a good mustard). Thanks, Highly! *goes off to stick site in favorites*

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

Postby resoundingjoy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:40 am

Oh so many!

http://www.foodiefarmgirl.blogspot.com/ is a fun one just to learn about life on a farm and see the seasons pass. She also posts excellent recipes now and then.

http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/ is from my hometown and has wonderful inexpensive recipes. I particularly enjoy her $25 shopping trips, where she goes to a store and buys all sorts of groceries for just $25, then posts recipes of meals she has made from them.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/ is a nerdy favourite of mine. I haven't seen this format anywhere else online, and Michael gives very detailed instructions on how to make meals.

http://idinealone.blogspot.com/ and this one is great for making meals for just one or two people.

highlyeccentric
House Elf

Postby highlyeccentric » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:29 am

Oooh, thanks! Poor Girl Eats Well looks pretty fabulous :D

Shireling - you might also want to check out cookability.dreamwidth.org - it's a bit slower getting off the ground than batchlunch, but it's a cooking community for people with mental and/or physical health issues which limit what they can and can't cook. So far that seems to be focusing on recipes which are quick and/or low effort, but the posters are also noting whether or not a particular dish involves heavy lifting or fine motor control. I really like the format - as you might've noticed, I've been making accessibility notes on my contributions to batchlunch as well. :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:13 am

Sweet, Highly! We've been eating the same ten things for a while now, so going out is how we break it up.

Frankly I've stopped chopping/slicing everything because I've been constantly nicking myself, and I gave up most pastas (and pierogies) because of scalding water - no matter how hard I try not to (hence my fondness for couscous and rice) I've been getting burned. I've tried lifting with slotted spoons so I avoid the colander, but if the odd tremor should come by, down it goes.

I can really use these! :D

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:39 am

Wow, that's awesome that there are sites devoted to helping people with physical or gastrointestinal disabilities cook more variety. I'm suuuuuper excited to cook for myself this semester...i've been doing it for the past 2 years in college, but I am doing an internship this semester that I think will give me a lot more free time in the evenings, so I'm trying to get myself to actually cook instead of just heating up meat and a frozen vegetable.

Most of the recipes I have have come from my mom's recipe box which has recipes from her grandmothers, or family cookbooks (other people's familes who make cookbooks of family recipes and sell them)
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

highlyeccentric
House Elf

Postby highlyeccentric » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:49 am

Shireling - have you tried Spaghetti Squash? There was a recipe on Cookability a while back which used Spaghetti Squash - I'd never heard of it before, but apparently it's a kind of squash which is stringy inside and tastes like spaghettti! You cook it in the microwave or the oven, no boiling water required.

LOTR - cooking for oneself is awesome :D I did four years of catered residential living and I'm NEVER GOING BACK. Cooking is such a great procrastination and/or calming technique. I find it's easier to cook for me+housemates than just me, because that way there's incentive even if I'm really tired - and once I've spent half an hour or an hour in the kitchen I feel a lot better about life in general. :)

I love cookbooks :D. Especially compilation ones - my mum has some really good church and preschool cookbooks, ones that the ladies compiled for fundraisers. We've got some good cake recipes out of cookbooks like that.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:36 am

Actually I have tried spaghetti squash and well - it's a bit like when Weight Watchers was trying to convince us that oven-dried mushrooms passed for popcorn :P (I mean it! They had it in a cookbook!) But I digress...

My recipe then had you bake the squash, scoop it out and sauce it. It was pretty bad, but I'm open to giving it another try. :)

highlyeccentric
House Elf

Postby highlyeccentric » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:23 pm

I've never tried it and I don't even know if it's AVAILABLE here, but that doesn't sound like much of a recommendation ;).

What's wrong with ACTUAL POPCORN? It's just corn! If you cook it yourself with vegetable oil it has nothing in it but corn and a smidge of vegetable oil! Unless you add other stuff, but popped corn by itself isn't bad.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:11 pm

You are absolutely right! But back then, WW was very low in carbs and virtually no fat at all (all toast must be dry).

Also you were required to eat liver once a week and the recommendation was that you eat chicken liver for breakfast, because that was the smallest amount of meat (the breakfast portion), and it cooked faster and went down easier than anybody else's. If your family went to McDonald's, you went into the restroom and there enjoyed your three-ounce can of tuna. No bread, no mayo, no veggies - just tuna straight from the can.

That was it in the fifties, sixties and seventies - the good old days - and I remember them well. Thank God they've changed!

highlyeccentric
House Elf

Postby highlyeccentric » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:23 am

Hee! I bought a secondhand copy of the Australian Women's Weekly Cookbook from 1970-something, and in there's a BMI chart and diet advice - I can't remember exactly how many calories it advised me to eat, but I looked it up, and it was only 2/3 of the recommended daily intake for a woman of my height and age who did no extra exercise. STARVATION RATIONS, basically. Ugh. The AWW seem really sweet and wholesome compared to girls' magazines, or even the modern AWW, but when you look at it closely... nah, not so much.

On the other hand, they have amazing recipes for pikelets and quiche. So I will forgive them. ;)

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:38 am

It's amazing, isn't it? There's one recipe I remember for clam dip that's like what sheep dip is to sheep...or maybe it's for the oven-dried mushrooms. I can't decide.

highlyeccentric
House Elf

Postby highlyeccentric » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:54 am

Hey Shireling - have you thought about acquiring an electric slow cooker (they can be kind of pricey, but mine is a small one, which only cost around fifty dollars Australian)? Most of *my* slow cooker recipes involve too much chopping for you, I think; but I reckon you could make spiffy soups (maybe with tinned veg?) and chunky stews (with pre-diced meat) and pot-roasts and so on. The liquid never gets hot enough to burn, and for pot-roasts and casseroles, you'd never have to lift out a whole hot pot - just serve straight out of the slow cooker.

This has been Highly's rhapsody on the wonders of the slow cooker (seriously, it's brilliant - I do all the prep in the morning, and come home to tasty dinner!).

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:06 am

You're right, I should. The one that I got as a wedding gift died some time ago, and it was a goody. With fall and winter coming - though you'd never know it with our current heat index - nothing compares.

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:07 pm

I looooove the slow-cooker...though I rally don't use it enough.
I too am a big fan of chop everything up the night before, in the morning you just dump everything in the pot, set it on low, head out for the day, and when you get home from work- bam, a wonderfully tender, delicious smelling soup is waiting.

am I the only one that usually calls it a crock pot though? Is that a regional thing? Or is it a brand name that is commonly used (like kleenex for tissues, etc)?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

Return to “General Chat”