Kitchen gadgets that you use?

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Kitchen gadgets that you use?

Postby TomCotton » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:58 pm

Since food and cooking is being discussed I figured a thread about which non-standard kitchen gadgets you use would be informative. We all probably use stuff like measuring spoons and cups or egg slicers. How about some of the more unusual things?

I use three what I consider non-standard gadgets a lot.

A microwave egg cooker. It is good for cooking a couple of eggs. Works great.

A pineapple corer. It leaves the pineapple skin in tact so you can use it for a drink container. The spiral ring shape that you pull out can be cut down one side so you have nicely formed pineapple rings. Great for making rings for grilling.

'Ove' Glove. Those things are great for handling hot pots and baking dishes. Use them as instructed and you will be more than satisfied.

EDIT: There used to be pictures but this board seems to not like attachments.
Attachments
microwave-egg-cooker.jpg
Microwave Egg Cooker
microwave-egg-cooker.jpg (33.48 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
pineapple corer.jpg
Pineapple Corer
pineapple corer.jpg (6.71 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
oveglove-1.jpg
Ove Glove
oveglove-1.jpg (12.89 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
Last edited by TomCotton on Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

highlyeccentric
House Elf

Re: Kitchen gadgets that you use?

Postby highlyeccentric » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:20 am

Hmm - personally, I'm fond of my Slow Cooker, and I would use a stick mixer (er... sort of like a blender? But just the blades, on a stick; you can use it for making milkshakes, or blending up soup, and so on) if I owned one. It's on the To Obtain list - my former housemate took hers with her.

My current housemate has fallen madly in love with my MultiMeasure - I bought it because it was a large plastic measuring jug, but it's got liquid measures in various different scales all around the sides of it. Very handy. Not quite as handy as my Mum's old one, which as well as measuring basic volume and liquid measures, had things like measurements for rice, marked out by weight.

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:35 am

All very handy gadgets! I also have a microwave egg-poacher, TomCotton. Just used it yesterday actually for the first time and managed to blow up two eggs and mess up my microwave. I think I set it for too much time...

Highlyeccentric, that measuring jug sounds very handy. I have a nice 8-cup measure with a lid that has a hole so I can put my hand-held mixer in and mix things without them spattering all over the kitchen.

I have a very spiffy slicer for hard-boiled eggs. If you pull one part down across the egg, it slices it horizontally, the other part slices it vertically, and you almost get egg cubes if you slice it with both parts.

Also have a miniature food processor which is super for chopping small amounts of nuts, or larger amounts of garlic.

Good topic idea! 8-)
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

Postby resoundingjoy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:47 pm

Rice cooker! Having grown up around Asians, it still baffles me to meet people who say, "What, you have an appliance that just cooks rice? That's so cool!"

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:56 am

haha....I have always heard of rice cookers and think they are a fantastic invention...but I have never used one...though i would love to have one because I often FAIL at cooking rice well. :-P

my faaavorite kitchen gadget is not that strange, but those silicon or rubber spatulas that you can use to scrape anything out of any bowl.....i Loooove using them!
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

highlyeccentric
House Elf

Postby highlyeccentric » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:52 am

LOTR, I have the most *amazing* silicone spatula - it's shaped like a little blue shovel, but bendy like a spatula - so it scoops as well as scraping. SO AWESOME :D

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:49 pm

I've been quite suspicious of the silicone products around heat so it's interesting to read how much you folks like the Ove-Glove and the spatulas. Maybe I'll break down and buy some. You can use the spatulas for hot stuff, right?
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:48 pm

Yes! most of the silicone things I've seen can stand up to 500F which is...wait for it...260C. I've never cooked anything at a higher temperature than that. The rubber ones might be a little lower but I've never had a problem with them melting unless you leave them for too long touching the bottom of a metal pan while it's on the burner still.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.

highlyeccentric
House Elf

Postby highlyeccentric » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:39 am

There are different grades of silicone, I think. I usually use wooden or metal spoons and scrapers for sauces, but we're having quite a time trying to find a frying-pan friendly spatula (one of the big wide one's you'd use to flip pancakes): our current silicone ones are OK, but they tend to burn easily when you cook bacon with them. Rumour has it there are nigh-indestructible silicone products out there, but I haven't found them yet.

I *did* find a spoon with a clear silicone handle, and spoon-parts in various colours, in a shop once which had the encouraging description on its label "SILICONE ASS". The handle was long and smooth and rounded on the end, for added appropriateness.

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:40 pm

I have a couple of silicone spatulas (or spatulerrrs as Mr. Krabs would say) that work real good for flipping eggs, pancakes, bacon, fish, and other foodstuffs. The only problem I have had is when I leave them in direct contact with high heat for too long.

The Ove Glove thingies are great. I have placed both stainless steel and cast iron skillets in a 500° F (260° C) oven and have grabbed them with the Ove Glove and not been burned. You can't hold on to the handles for an extended period of time, but they are great for tranferring the pans to a staging area.

Don't buy the cheap silicone items. In this case the price usually does indicate the quality.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:15 pm

Good to know! Love the "silicone ass" thing, HE! :lol: Cracked me up, so to speak. ;)

OT - I'm not getting email notifications and don't see where to "subscribe" to threads. Any idea what I'm missing or doing wrong? :? I have clicked "Notify me when a reply is posted" but it's not happening.

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:10 am

hm... "subsribe topic" is right under the "new topic" button.

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:21 am

Good thing t'weren't a snake. :oops: How embarrassing. Thank you! I'm getting notifications now! :D

Return to “General Chat”