The Ivy Bush - General Chat

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: The Ivy Bush - General Chat

Postby shireling » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:32 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: We've emailed a bit, but it's not the same as being here. I'm soooooooo happpppppppy!!!!

It was for the podiatrist, and we both went under the clippers/buffers. I complained that our appointments were too far apart; the Honey's feet looked okay, but my nails were right around 15 mm long. The doctor said, yeah that it's a pain, but it only showed that my feet are healthy. The better the condition, the longer the nails I guess. So, that was a comfort, with the diabetes and all.

Anyway, the next time will be in December and a few weeks earlier. Oh, I've how I've missed the :coffee: in here! It's almost bombur weather, too :D *must find bomburs in time for the first frost*

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:47 pm

Sorry for my absence! I've had the last week off, but it wasn't much of a holiday. Several doctor's appointments (my mom and myself, all is well) and unfortunately two deaths in the neighbourhood within a few days. Besides, I took a fall in the garden. Tripped over a tree stump and hit my head against a metal post, and bruised my right hip and my left leg, as well as my left hand. :paperbag: It's not that bad, though. I could have been worse because I was cutting branches with a pruner, but I didn't cut myself.

Timmy is with me, he's trying to type again. :lol: He had his veterinary appointment last week. Oh, how he hates riding in the car :lol: But at the doctor's he was his charming self and flirting with the ladies :lol: He's fit and in good health, and he wrapped all the ladies around his paws in no time. :lol:

I will have to see a dermatologist next week (birthmark control). I have one mark in my face and it has been growing lately, so the doctor recommended to see the dermatologist and have it checked out. She doesn't think it's anything serious, though. We'll see. I'll have it tested.

By the way: Bombur weather has arrived, so :coffee: :coffee:
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:20 am

Padfoot wrote:Sorry for my absence! I've had the last week off, but it wasn't much of a holiday. Several doctor's appointments (my mom and myself, all is well) and unfortunately two deaths in the neighbourhood within a few days. Besides, I took a fall in the garden. Tripped over a tree stump and hit my head against a metal post, and bruised my right hip and my left leg, as well as my left hand. :paperbag: It's not that bad, though. I could have been worse because I was cutting branches with a pruner, but I didn't cut myself.

Holy smokes, Paddy! :hug: It's not that bad?!?! No concussion, is that what I'm hearing? I'm glad you're okay and no cuts, but geeze, you must be sore. I'm sorry to hear about your neighbors passing, too, and all the doctor's appointments (must be contagious, because we've had our share of visits, too - our news was good also.)

Timmy is with me, he's trying to type again. :lol: He had his veterinary appointment last week. Oh, how he hates riding in the car :lol: But at the doctor's he was his charming self and flirting with the ladies :lol: He's fit and in good health, and he wrapped all the ladies around his paws in no time. :lol:

Glad to hear he's healthy. I think it's a rare thing for cats to like riding in the car. It's not like they can stick their heads out the windows, like every single dog I've ever seen :lol: .

I will have to see a dermatologist next week (birthmark control). I have one mark in my face and it has been growing lately, so the doctor recommended to see the dermatologist and have it checked out. She doesn't think it's anything serious, though. We'll see. I'll have it tested.

By the way: Bombur weather has arrived, so :coffee: :coffee:

I just had a flat brown spot, about the size of a US nickel, scrubbed off a few months ago. It was harmless, but ugly. I hope yours is likewise - harmless, that is.

As for Bomber weather, oh, I am so inspired by da promise of Bombur in the da morning!

The furnace has been lit;
there's cider for the stove,
the coats are out of storage,
and all the throws are thrown.

There's frost upon the pumpkin;
Baking spices up the air.
There's bomburs on my shopping list,
and custard in my hair.

My cat is snoring softly;
My spouse is full of joy.
"The Ravens beat Miami -
O boy! O boy! O boy!"

So tonight I'll go to sleep,
all covered up in bed.
The windy wind a-wailing
'gainst the wall behind my head.

Goodnight, upstairs neighbor!
(I hope that happens soon.)
Goodnight to the falling rain,
And that first quarter moon.

I'm happy that it's Autumn.
I dearly love the Fall.
Y-a-w-n, I'm just so sleepy
Goodnight. One. And. All.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:40 am

Paddy, are you feeling better? Nothing scares me like falling does, and my thoughts haven't been that far from yours since I first read it last night. It's frustrating that I can't just get in my car and drive over there with ice packs and heating pads, bomburs and coffee. :hug:

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:05 pm

I'm feeling better. I think my pride was what was hurt most :D The bruises are getting blue and green now, but it's ok. Besides, you know I have the best nurse I could ask for. He's keeping me under close monitoring, day and night. Tomorrow is the appointment at the dermatologist, keep your fingers crossed it's just a harmless freckle grown out of proportion. I have decided to treat myself with an afternoon of window-shopping afterwards, whatever the outcome. :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:28 pm

I'm so glad you're better :hug: , and with Nurse Timmy on the 'prowl' (see what I did there?) you're very fortunate. Let me know how the appointment goes. Enjoy your window shopping!

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:03 am

The appointment went well. It IS just a harmless freckle, gone out of proportion. I will have to do regular screenings from now on, but the (very nice) doctor is optimistic about it. And I am relieved. Today is my last day off work, btw. I could get used to it! Needless to say Timmy would love it, too. :lol:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:21 pm

I'm glad to hear the freckle's a freckle :D !

My honey's in the hospital - another drug reaction. He went in Sunday evening, and they've re-evaluated his meds. They think it was serotonin intoxication (he was a high as kite, confused, kept pacing the floor.) I called 911 and the ambulance brought him in. Of course they didn't leave him at the hospital he was taken to - it's right around the corner from us and they moved him downtown.

He's been put on another drug, has IVs to flush out his system; he may come home today. I would love it if he did. Never a dull moment. I'll write a longer post after this is over :) .

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:34 pm

Okay, he came home late yesterday.

He's off all of his meds from the Nurse Practitioner, and is only taking his prescriptions from the family doc. He's better - a bit embarrassed because he was talking out of his head, pacing a lot, real confused - but these things happen. Nothing that was happening was in character.

He had a lot of complaints about the food. They were feeding him a diabetic diet, but not like he likes and not enough. So when he was discharged, off we went for sweet 'n sour shrimp so that he could catch up on all the carbs he was deprived of. As soon as we got home, I emptied out his pill tray of all the psychotropics (that's what they said to do), and poured them all back into their respective bottles. Sleep is a big issue for him, and he was awake from 7:50 AM Sunday morning until after 9 PM Monday night! Who does that?! Anyway, I have some over-the-counter sleep gels and gave him two at bedtime. He was still awake at 5 AM this morning; he didn't get a bit of sleep all night. Well, I was up and said,"I want to go to Hospice. You want to come with?"

A friend of ours, who has been fighting cancer for the past fifteen or so years, is losing the battle and may not live out the week (I just found out yesterday. She didn't want to know how bad it was, and kept off hearing until last month. When she was talking about Christmas and Easter, a nurse let it slip that she might just see Thanksgiving. And even that's more optimistic than likely. Anyway, Duane said sure - we love Gail so much :( - so we went to say goodbye, maybe five minutes. She was hardly awake, taking a breathing treatment to soothe her lungs...Christ. Non-smoker, all her life, dying with lung cancer. Her poor husband. She's not even 70; her parents are still living, for God's sake! She's got kids, grandkids, cats, a geriatric sheltie and boa constrictor in the kitchen. She's absolutely brilliant - studied architecture. I seen some of her drawings. Last week she wrote her funeral service, including her own voice, reciting a prayer. It's not fair, not right, not right at all.

Anyway, Duane wanted to come home afterwards (was feeling nauseated and finally sleepy), so I dropped him off home and did a bit of grocery shopping for us.

He's good. You'd never know there'd been a problem. His discharge orders want appointments for both the G.P. and N.P. (got them scheduled for this Thursday and Friday.) That's all for now...

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:30 pm

How did the appointments go?

I've been busy with mom and the garden. She's everything but sensible when it comes to it. But the last few days, the weather was too bad to do any gardening, and she's as grumpy as an old grizzly bear! :D

and he was awake from 7:50 AM Sunday morning until after 9 PM Monday night! Who does that?!

He could be related to my mother. Sometimes I have to force her into her bedroom. BUT she doesn't stay awake that long, because as soon as she sits in her armchair in front of the tv, it usually takes her about 5 minutes to drop off to sleep. :D

I had my eyes tested last week, and was confirmed that I need new glasses. I expected as much. Glasses are terribly expensive here, and the insurances don't cover them (unless you have an additional private insurance, but even they only cover about 1/3 of the costs). I usually wait for some special offer and I was lucky because my optician offers a 50% discount on the glasses (it's a store chain, they usually do special offers before Christmas :D ). I couldn't afford to buy glasses that cost almost 1,000.00 € (Varifocals are very expensive) *sigh*. I'd already started saving money for new glasses, but the new TV set for mom got in the way. Anyway, I was lucky for a change and I found a frame that suits me well. The young clerk at the store told me "you're such a nice and uncomplicated client, please do come by more often!" :lol: She was a very nice lady herself :lol:

Timmy is not with me, for a change. He's resting in my bed. I think he opened winter season :lol: Can't blame him, because the weather has been awful the last few days, and the temperatures have dropped considerably. Snow has been predicted, but so far it's only been wet and stormy, but it might get slippery overnight. I'd prefer the snow to the ice. Can't believe it's just about 6 weeks until Christmas. This year just flew by.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Padfoot wrote:How did the appointments go?

Well, it's a work in progress. We have good minutes, bad hours and just try to take it one step at a time.

I've been busy with mom and the garden. She's everything but sensible when it comes to it. But the last few days, the weather was too bad to do any gardening, and she's as grumpy as an old grizzly bear! :D
and he was awake from 7:50 AM Sunday morning until after 9 PM Monday night! Who does that?!

He could be related to my mother. Sometimes I have to force her into her bedroom. BUT she doesn't stay awake that long, because as soon as she sits in her armchair in front of the tv, it usually takes her about 5 minutes to drop off to sleep. :D

When she falls asleep, do you just leave her there? My dad used to fall asleep to the tv, and around three, it'd wake me up and I'd tiptoe into his room to turn it off. As soon as he heard the click, he'd open his eyes and growl, "I was watching that!" Ah, parents! Such memories they make :D .

I had my eyes tested last week, and was confirmed that I need new glasses. I expected as much. Glasses are terribly expensive here, and the insurances don't cover them (unless you have an additional private insurance, but even they only cover about 1/3 of the costs). I usually wait for some special offer and I was lucky because my optician offers a 50% discount on the glasses (it's a store chain, they usually do special offers before Christmas :D ). I couldn't afford to buy glasses that cost almost 1,000.00 € (Varifocals are very expensive) *sigh*. I'd already started saving money for new glasses, but the new TV set for mom got in the way. Anyway, I was lucky for a change and I found a frame that suits me well. The young clerk at the store told me "you're such a nice and uncomplicated client, please do come by more often!" :lol: She was a very nice lady herself :lol:

Awwww, that's so good :) . Having nice people to help is half the battle.

I'll never understand why things like teeth, ears and eyes aren't done for free. You need to eat, hear and see - it's so basic! So why are those things so expensive? Especially sight and hearing, because they're tied to your independence. Speaking of all this, I finally got on the phone last night and got my insurance package for next year. And I was lucky to get something, not only affordable, but with a low deductible and copays, and with my generic prescriptions covered. But, the trick is, my doctor has to take this, and I don't know if she or the one I had before her does. I may have to travel longer distances to get care. I don't even want to go there right now.

Timmy is not with me, for a change. He's resting in my bed. I think he opened winter season :lol: Can't blame him, because the weather has been awful the last few days, and the temperatures have dropped considerably. Snow has been predicted, but so far it's only been wet and stormy, but it might get slippery overnight. I'd prefer the snow to the ice. Can't believe it's just about 6 weeks until Christmas. This year just flew by.

Amy's finally herself again. That botched spay has her nipping me to let her out and find a tom every spring and fall, but that's over for another year.

I love snow. But we always get - at least it seems that way - freezing rain, then snow, followed by more freezing rain. As for the year flying by, I love Christmas. I'm looking forward to buying presents, having hot chocolate whenever we're out - I've already decorated the place. We don't get a tree, but I have a faux holly bush that I've festooned with lights, and every peg is hosting an ornament or two around the house. *sigh*

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:20 pm

When she falls asleep, do you just leave her there? My dad used to fall asleep to the tv, and around three, it'd wake me up and I'd tiptoe into his room to turn it off. As soon as he heard the click, he'd open his eyes and growl, "I was watching that!" Ah, parents! Such memories they make

I usually let her sleep. She usually has the TV on top volume, so loud that I can't stand to be there for a longer time, it gives me headache (I wonder how anyone can be able to sleep with the volume turned up that loud at all but she happily snores away), so I look at her every once in a while when I go downstairs. Most of the time she's sound asleep. But as soon as I turn the volume down or switch the TV off, she's wide awake and complaining "I was watching that!" Sounds familiar, doesn't it? :lol: :lol: Needless to say she denies a hearing aid.. :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:46 pm

Padfoot wrote:
When she falls asleep, do you just leave her there? My dad used to fall asleep to the tv, and around three, it'd wake me up and I'd tiptoe into his room to turn it off. As soon as he heard the click, he'd open his eyes and growl, "I was watching that!" Ah, parents! Such memories they make

I usually let her sleep. She usually has the TV on top volume, so loud that I can't stand to be there for a longer time, it gives me headache (I wonder how anyone can be able to sleep with the volume turned up that loud at all but she happily snores away), so I look at her every once in a while when I go downstairs. Most of the time she's sound asleep. But as soon as I turn the volume down or switch the TV off, she's wide awake and complaining "I was watching that!" Sounds familiar, doesn't it? :lol: :lol: Needless to say she denies a hearing aid.. :D

That is really scary :lol: . I just hope that's not our futures, Paddy.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:01 pm

I just hope that's not our futures, Paddy.

So do I!

I thought mouse hunting season was over, but apparently, it isn't :D I got another present last night, and the mouse hunter was very pleased with himself. Unfortunately, the mouse escaped under the sofa, but he finished his job tonight. He fished it out from under the sofa, but I think the poor mouse died there last night. :slowblush: Currently, he's in bed. He went there right after he had done his work for tonight :lol: :lol:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:26 pm

Aw the poor thing. I can't help but wonder what goes through the minds of these little guys when Timmy catches them. I know they're vermin, but I have had them as pets, so I'm a bit torn :lol: .

Speaking of our bosses, Amy covered her doings in the litter box :/ . Not the #2 - that was how I knew she'd gone; it's the most extraordinarily pungent odor I've ever had to deal with when it comes to that. But, she hasn't ever made any attempt in all the years I've known her to hide it. Btw, that's how you know they've been taken away from the mother too soon, one of them; the mom never got to teach her this, and by the time we got her at the age of 7, it was like, what's the point? Anyway, I am surprised and pleased to behold this, limited as it is.

Return to “General Chat”