The Ivy Bush - General Chat

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Re: The Ivy Bush - General Chat

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:35 pm

POTUS and FLOTUS have arrived in Germany for the G20 meeting. First thing, POTUS insisted on Chancellor Merkel visiting him in his guest house instead of him visiting her at her hotel. That request was being denied, because it's not usual procedure that the host is making the rounds paying visits to the guests :D So he had to swallow the first toad and pay a visit to Mrs Merkel at her hotel. Allegedly, during a phone call a couple of days ago, he assured her to behave... :D I believe it when I see it. :paperbag:

Heavy thunderstorms right now. And rain, but so far we haven't been flooded yet. But the last couple of weeks were hot and dry, so the rain is more than welcome at the moment.

Off to read a little now. It took me ages to get through "An officer and a spy" by Robert Harris, but that wasn't due to the book, it was due to lack of time. It's a great book, based on a true story (the Dreyfus affair, France, 1895 - 1905), and it's grippingly told. Definitely a recommendation. But now it's time for some light reading, so it's time for a Richard Castle book. :D Did I mention that his majesty considers books to be a distraction as well? :D :lol:
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:13 pm

I saw them land in Germany. I was kinda hoping you guys would keep them...or maybe just him?

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:23 am

shireling wrote:I saw them land in Germany. I was kinda hoping you guys would keep them...or maybe just him?

:lmao: :lmao: Nice try. :D We were already hoping he'd stay in Poland. He seemed to be welcome there. :D Apparently his wife was not allowed to leave the guest house this morning to attend the "partner's programme" - Too many people demonstrating in front of the house. I bet he will take that as an insult. (BTW - Guest house because apparently his staff forget to book an adequate hotel!!). :paperbag:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:02 pm

The other day, Duane and I were having sandwiches at a fast food place, and I asked the man waiting on us about the ring on his finger - I could see letters - what did it say?

"It says 'Jesus', and I have a dog tag with 'Yea, though I go through the Valley of Death, I will fear no evil'."
I showed him my Franciscan cross, and as we were leaving, he takes on a conspiratorial tone and says to me.

"Just between you, me and the four walls, I think Trump's the Antichrist." I burst out laughing.
"That must be the nicest thing that's been said about him all day."

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:32 am

Sunday = relax day! :D
Timmy is up in :D the attic (he loves to stay there, though it's stiflingly hot - all of our cats loved the attic in the summer :2confused: I have no idea why :? ) and I'm taking a time-out to read. One day at work left, and then I'm on holiday for the next 3 weeks. :? :? I'm not going anywhere, though. Not as long as I haven't paid my debts. Which means likely: never again... :shruggy:

I'm so glad I bought the laptop. I keep the small one in the downstairs living room, and the laptop in the office. Mom has been asking me a lot of things lately, and Google Earth (and the internet in general) has been a great help :lol: I think she has learned to appreciate the computer. Slowly, but steadily :lol:

Different subject:
The G20 Summit has caused a lot of riots. A part of Hamburg has been completely destroyed by "demonstrants" - but these people aren't demonstrating or protesting. They have gathered on purpose to attack and destroy. They burned cars, destroyed supermarkets and small shops, injured people on purpose. This has nothing to do with the right to demonstrate and protest, and it completely turns the peaceful protest of thousands of people into something I don't even have words for. What disturbs me even more are the people who stand in front of destroyed shops or burnt-down cars, taking pictures and selfies with their mobile phones. I can't tell you how much I hate that.

And I have no words for a president who lets his daughter sit in for him at meetings. What better way to show his ignorance? Or does he listen to her? In that case it might have been the better choice having Ivanka substituting for him. But somehow I doubt it. In any case, he and his new best buddy Vladimir seemed to have a great time and enjoying each others's company. I bet they had a good laugh about how easily it was for Russian hackers to manipulate the election..

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Padfoot wrote:Sunday = relax day! :D
Timmy is up in :D the attic (he loves to stay there, though it's stiflingly hot - all of our cats loved the attic in the summer :2confused: I have no idea why :? ) and I'm taking a time-out to read. One day at work left, and then I'm on holiday for the next 3 weeks. :? :? I'm not going anywhere, though. Not as long as I haven't paid my debts. Which means likely: never again... :shruggy:

I've read that cats have trouble regulating their temperature. They can't pant, but I've noticed in the summer, even with their heavier coats, Cleo, Tasha, and Amy, all liked sunbathing. Kess had that fine, soft, bunny-rabbit fur so that made sense to me when she'd do it. In the winter months, they would all pick a register opening and lay on top of it :lol: . The most travel I'm planning is a surprise trip to see the Baltimore Ravens play the Bengals (don't tell Duane; it's still in the works, and I have yet to buy the tickets.) The biggest problem is transportation. Once I get that squared away, it'll be good :) . I can't wait to see his face when I can tell him we're going!

I'm so glad I bought the laptop. I keep the small one in the downstairs living room, and the laptop in the office. Mom has been asking me a lot of things lately, and Google Earth (and the internet in general) has been a great help :lol: I think she has learned to appreciate the computer. Slowly, but steadily :lol:

I love mine. It's been great in study circles, because you can just look up stuff right there at the table :D .

Different subject:
The G20 Summit has caused a lot of riots. A part of Hamburg has been completely destroyed by "demonstrants" - but these people aren't demonstrating or protesting. They have gathered on purpose to attack and destroy. They burned cars, destroyed supermarkets and small shops, injured people on purpose. This has nothing to do with the right to demonstrate and protest, and it completely turns the peaceful protest of thousands of people into something I don't even have words for. What disturbs me even more are the people who stand in front of destroyed shops or burnt-down cars, taking pictures and selfies with their mobile phones. I can't tell you how much I hate that.

And I have no words for a president who lets his daughter sit in for him at meetings. What better way to show his ignorance? Or does he listen to her? In that case it might have been the better choice having Ivanka substituting for him. But somehow I doubt it. In any case, he and his new best buddy Vladimir seemed to have a great time and enjoying each others's company. I bet they had a good laugh about how easily it was for Russian hackers to manipulate the election..

I'm with you on everything you've said. The best thing you mentioned are the selfie-taking morons who will now be identified by social media and arrested, I hope.

I have never gotten why, why the damage? And it's done by people who don't live there - I firmly believe that. They troll into town, bust up other people's property and troll out. I've always been ashamed of the Boston Tea Party, for that reason. The people who lost money were the folks who had their tea bales cut open and dumped into the harbor - it didn't hurt the king, it was just plain stupid. I'm sure the painted-up colonists had a ball doing it, and then spent the rest of the night bragging, but it didn't gain any pals for the Revolution from among the merchants, whose livelihoods were under threat.

As for the Trumps...

The political party who have persisted in lying to, and robbing the American people of the right to a valid and useful education, and truly healthful healthcare, own this. They own the Trumps, every single one of them. They've done nothing but support a class system which keeps whole populations ignorant, armed and angry. The religion they follow can best be described as Old Testament Christian, where a Tablet-toting Jesus comes down from the mountain, leads the Israelites through forty years of wandering, and arrives in Jerusalem, just in time to be crucified on behalf of my guilt-ridden neighbors.

What I want to see is a way through this. I'm tired of hearing about the latest lunacy; I want to know how these pests can be legally extricated from the White House and sent packing. I want my government back, and I want it now.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:53 pm

Hamburg is known for its extremist scene. There have been some violent clashes between police and protesters throughout the last years, but none of it was quite like this. A lot of these extremists were foreigners who were called by their "brothers" to assemble and wreak as much havoc as they could. The people I saw standing there, taking pictures and selfies with their mobile phones, however, were "ordinary" people, like you and I (I hate to say that). They were hanging around the scenes of destruction, luridly gazing, taking pictures like they were on a holiday, hopping around the reporters. It made me sick. Someone just said "grab them, give them a broom and make them help instead". But I'm sure the moment someone called on them for help, they disappeared like cockroaches when you turn on the light.

The same happens frequently at accident sites - people on the opposite driveway slow down to take pictures or start filming, instead of helping. Sometimes I really wonder if we're all going down the drain.

It's still stiflingly hot. There were supposed to be thunderstorms today, but so far, nothing has happened. Not that I want them to happen, I just want the cool-down.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:03 pm

Hamburg is known for its extremist scene. There have been some violent clashes between police and protesters throughout the last years, but none of it was quite like this. A lot of these extremists were foreigners who were called by their "brothers" to assemble and wreak as much havoc as they could. The people I saw standing there, taking pictures and selfies with their mobile phones, however, were "ordinary" people, like you and I (I hate to say that). They were hanging around the scenes of destruction, luridly gazing, taking pictures like they were on a holiday, hopping around the reporters. It made me sick. Someone just said "grab them, give them a broom and make them help instead". But I'm sure the moment someone called on them for help, they disappeared like cockroaches when you turn on the light.

O for cryin' out loud. I didn't realize that, how stupid people are. Just sickening.

It's still stiflingly hot. There were supposed to be thunderstorms today, but so far, nothing has happened. Not that I want them to happen, I just want the cool-down.

It's been muggy here, in spite of the rain. We've have one storm after another but it doesn't really cool down. Some of the trees have really taken a beating.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:41 am

Thunderstorm and rain last night, (though the thunderstorm didn't really last long and wasn't strong), and a thoroughly wet, loudly complaining Timmy who woke me up around 3 a.m. and hopped into my bed :lol: :lol:

Off to work now. Last day :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:32 pm

Padfoot wrote:Thunderstorm and rain last night, (though the thunderstorm didn't really last long and wasn't strong), and a thoroughly wet, loudly complaining Timmy who woke me up around 3 a.m. and hopped into my bed :lol: :lol:

:lmao: Shame on you, Paddy! How could you let him get so soaked after all the mice he brought you? :lmao:

Off to work now. Last day :D

Hope it goes well :) .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:28 pm

:lmao: I told him not to go outside if he doesn't need to. :lmao: So much for that. :lol:

Right now he's sitting on the armrest, aiming for the keyboard... :naughty: :D :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:02 am

:lol:

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:28 pm

Timmy and I have been enjoying our first holiday week together. :lol: He's all for sleep-ins in the morning - that is afterhe gets his breakfast at 5:30 a.m. :lmao: :lmao: Fortunately, he hasn't brought in any mice so far. This week, I managed to re-pot my orchids (wanted to do that for a long time), but I still haven't finished my room or cleaned my car. I'm kinda hoping for some rain - that would make it easier to do some work IN the house, not outside :lol: :lol: BUT I have already finished one book and started a second. :yay:

And now I'm off reading again! :lol:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:56 am

I really feel for Amy. We have been going out every day for the past four days, and it'll be like that early in the coming week. She looks so miserable, "O. Okay. You guys are leaving again. But it's alright. I'll just sit here - watching the my kibble go stale."

She climbs up on the sofa when we're watching tv and falls asleep between us. She's got this red mattress from her last owner, and I keep it on the couch so she can cuddle up on it. I never really knew her as a young cat, as young as Timmy is, so we missed out on her kitten days. Still, I'm glad we've got her. It sounds like her life was pretty empty - these girls that she was gotten as a present for, lost interest right away, and that's how she finally ended up with us.

This was the first day in ten that it didn't rain here! It looks beautiful, but there's whole sections of the country that could sure use the water. Anyway, what are you reading, Paddy?

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:48 pm

Heavy thunderstorms since yesterday, but now it's clearing up again. This morning, Timmy wasn't pleased at all with me getting up around 8:30 a.m. (OK, he WAS pleased with me getting up at 6:30 a.m. for his 1st breakfast :D ). He actually tugged at me, leading me to the stairs, showing the way :lol: , when that didn't work out the way he wished, he nibbled at my fingers and tried to tug me to the bedroom again :lol: . Might have been the weather, it was raining cats and dogs ever since yesterday evening.

I had a day of window-shopping in mind today. And that's exactly what I did. Bought nothing but some food for lunch :lol: But it was nice getting out for the day. And Timmy is getting his cuddles this evening :lol: I swear he'll make me pay for not getting back to bed and cuddle up there this morning. :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I like to go to shopping malls every now and then, but I hardly buy anything there. I DID find some nice shoes (and I could do with some decent loafers), but considering my balance, I have to wait until my tax return arrives... :paperbag:

Return to “General Chat”