Share your recipes!

resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

Share your recipes!

Postby resoundingjoy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:54 pm

... but make sure it's something you have tested and confirmed edible first!

I'll start. I found this a few years ago when I was trying to think of something else to do with gingerroot. The Asian market where I used to buy it would prepackage it with two or three big roots, and I always had leftover after marinading chicken and beef and pork.

Fresh Ginger cookies

INGREDIENTS

* 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
* 3/4 cup butter, softened
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1/4 cup molasses
* 1 egg
* Extra white sugar

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat ginger, butter, and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. Gently fold in flour mixture until just combined. Chill for 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3. Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and then roll them in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
4. Bake until edges start to brown, about 15 minutes. Centers will be slightly soft. Let stand on cookie sheets 1 minute and remove to racks to cool completely.

Make sure they are still a little soft in the center when you take them out, or when they cool they will be hard as rocks!
And if you're in a hurry, put the dough in the freezer for 15 minutes instead of in the fridge for an hour.

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Re: Share your recipes!

Postby PatriotBlade » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:08 pm

This is a church pot-luck favorite. I have a couple people who look for this dish once they know I've arrived.

Mac and Chick Cassarole

2 cups uncooked pasta of your choice.
1 can of Cream Of Chicken Soup, mixed to spesifications on can.
1-2 boneless chicken breasts, cooked.
1 egg.
Cheese (your choice).
1 large cassarole dish, greased.

Directions:
While pasta is cooking, mix chicken, soup and egg.
Pre-heat oven to 350.
When the pasta is cooked and cooled, mix in with soup until well covered, then pour all into the cassarole dish.
Cover the top with your favorite cheese(s), then cover with foil.
Bake for a minimum of 30 minutes, covered, then remove foil and bake until your cheese starts to brown.
Remove, let stand for about 10 minutes, then serve.
Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still UNWRITTEN...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Oh, those both sound so good! And the casserole would really be terrific the next morning right out of the fridge (see my breakfast post :D)

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:22 pm

My son came home from school with this after a home-ec class. He was the only one who ate it and he ate it all (that's what they told me; he was 15 then, so go figure). It's nice for company when you have people staying over. Make it the night before and pop it into the oven about an hour and a half before serving. :D

Mikey's Casserole
(please read through before starting)

Prepare 9”X13” bake pan by spraying generously with butter-flavored PAM or store-brand no-stick spray. Have no-stick foil on hand to cover the pan before refrigerating or baking. If going to bake it as soon as casserole is assembled, preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Measure the next four ingredients into large mixing bowl and beat them together until batter is smooth.

1 cup BISQUIK or store-brand bake mix – hard packed
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 large eggs – lightly beaten

Blend in 1-1/2 cups milk (I use skim cow's) and set the bowl aside. You then need:

1- 28-32 oz. bag of frozen O'Brien-style hash browns (potatoes are diced)
1 – 8 ounce package of diced ham
2-3 cups of sharp cheddar cheese - shredded

Make sure frozen hash browns aren't sticking together by placing the bag on the kitchen counter and lightly beating down with your fists until contents are uniform in feel. Pour entire bag of potatoes into pan and top with the diced ham and shredded cheese, in that order and make all three layers as even as possible. Give wet ingredients another few stirs before then pouring it all over the cheese, ham and potatoes.

Cover pan with no-stick foil (no-stick side down) and seal lightly. Put in refrigerator if baking the following day, or place in 350 degree oven for next meal.

Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 1 hour – remove foil and bake additional 15-20 minutes, or until top is lightly-browned and bubbling at the edges. Remove from oven and let stand 10-15 minutes before cutting.

It's good for breakfast or brunch with a fruit salad and some type of bakery if you're feeding 8-10. I usually make it for supper. Pull out or switch ingredients, like the ham for vegetarians, or use plain Southern-style hash browns if you've got kids who won't eat the onions and peppers.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

highlyeccentric
House Elf

Postby highlyeccentric » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:14 am

Here's what I made for dinner tonight (well, actually, I made it this morning):

Curried Spinach, Potato & Cannellini Bean Soup

Notes: Shireling, this won't be one for you, I'm afraid: too much chopping!
This is my slow cooker recipe - if cooking on the stove, bring stock to the boil and then cook for around 30 min or until potato is soft.

Ingredients

4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2-4 cloves of garlic, peeled and halved
2 tbsp curry paste
2 cans cannellini beans
2 bunches of English spinnach (~300 grams spinnach leaves)
1/2 cup cream or milk
3 cups stock (use 4-5 on a stove)

1. Heat some oil in a frying pan (or, if cooking the soup on the stove, use the bottom of your saucepan), and sautee the onion and garlic for 3 min. Add curry paste and potatoes and stir well; tip into the slow cooker. (If lazy, skip the frying part and go straight to the slow cooker)
2. Add beans and stock to slow cooker.
3. Set slow cooker to low and leave it all day (or I think it should work with an hour on high and just a couple of hours on low).
4. Chop up the spinach leaves and add them to the soup. Turn slow cooker to high, and when the spinach is wilted, grab a hand blender and blend until the soup is smooth.
5. Stir in milk/cream. Serve with pepper and sour cream if you have it.

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:18 pm

Everyone who's ever eaten this has loved it...my mom makes this all the time for every party we have or go to, and is absolutely famous for it among friends. There are several variations out there, but this is the recipe my mom uses:

Monkey Bread

3 large tubes of grands flaky biscuits (or similar)
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
cinnamon-sugar mix
Preheat oven to 325

Cut each biscuit into 6 triangle-shaped pieces (in half, then each half into 3)
roll all the pieces in cinnamon sugar mixture until coated
drop them all in a bunt pan
(at this point you can let it sit in the frige for a while if you need to)

right before you cook it:
melt the butter and mix in the brown sugar, then drizzle the mixture over the dough pieces in the bunt pan, then cook at 325F for about 30 minutes, depending on how gooey you want the inside to be.

Serve it nice and hot- you can cut pieces out of it like any other cake, or you can set it in the middle of the table and let everyone just pick at it...like monkeys.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Here is something I throw together sometimes. Very tasty.

The metric measurements are close approximations.

1 lb (450g) lean ground beef
8 oz (225g) elbow macaroni
2 14.5 oz (411g) cans diced tomatoes
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Pinch of sea salt
Garlic to taste.

1. Brown the ground beef, cooking thoroughly, seasoning with the pepper, sea salt, and garlic.

at the same time:
2. Cook the elbow macaroni. Usually in 4 quarts (3.8 liters) boiling water for around 9 minutes (9 minutes :P ).

3. Stir the tomatoes into the ground beef, keep warm.

4. Drain the elbow macaroni and stir into the beef/tomatoes.

5. Eat.

Mmmmm goooood.

You can find cans of tomatoes with some seasonings already in them, but I always taste them to make sure they are seasoned enough. I even add some dried herbs to the beef/tomatoes sometimes to up the flavor. I always add more garlic, though.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:23 pm

I've made similar concoctions of macaroni with ground beef in a diced tomato+ juice base....quite yummy!
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:41 pm

A family favorite, especially in the winter time.

Chicken Puffs

1 can Cream Of Chicken Soup (I like lots of "gravy" so I use 2 cans)
2 - 3 boneless chicken breasts, browned and cut into long strips
1 can Cressant Rolls (if you're feeding a large family like we do, you may want 2 cans)
1 greased (cooking spray works too) cassarole dish

Optional: your favorite cheese, mine's mozzerella or the shredded five white cheese mix.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 345.
Mix the soup as directed and set aside.
Open the can of cressant rolls and lay the triangles out on a large work space

Optional step: put the optional cheese on each triangle.

Starting at the wide end of the triangle, roll a strip of chicken in each cressant roll ( you now have a "chicken puff") and place in your greased cassarole dish.

When all your chicken puffs are in the dish, pour your soup over and around them. (more over, than around, they won't bee too soggy, promise.)

Optional Step: sprinkle shreaded cheese over the top.

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until your puffs start to brown.
Let cool for about 10 minutes, then serve.

At my house, we like to serve this with mashed potatos and green beans.
Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still UNWRITTEN...

Return to “General Chat”