The New Ivy Bush

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Re: The New Ivy Bush

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:20 pm

it's like a club-fair...a bunch of organizations are setting up tables so people can walk by and get information about getting involved. We're also having burgers available, so i have to organize the people and getting the funding and the food and the people to set everything up and get all these permissions and permits etc.
It's semi-fun but mostly stressful because so many people I email with questions just don't respond to me...then i have to call them a million times to get any response. grrr.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:34 pm

That's no way to treat you. I hope you get someone to give you a hand with getting those questions answered. What else have you been up to?
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:08 pm

people are just toooo busy, I think.
eventually I've gotten through to all of them.

Mostly just packing, other than that!
I took my little brother to his road test today and he passed so now he has his drivers license, which is SUCH a strange concept for me! The kid's been taller than me for 3 years but he's really growing up now....craziness!

how about you?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:06 am

I've never learned to drive. When you can walk to where you want to and the cost of running a car is high, you end up not bothering.

I've been temping, and hopefully this will lead to permanent work. I've enjoyed the temp assignments because I've had some crappy experiences but these recent ones have been good. They really love me at my current one, and I'm hoping to have a similar experience at the assignment that starts on Monday. This is also part time and will run concurrently with the one I've got already.

Brothers, eh? Mine can do a stack of stuff I can't, so keeping his respect can prove problematic sometimes, but he was impressed with the dinner I laid on and the general hospitality when he and Dad came to visit me for my birthday. He keeps saying we'll have to do it again. It was great fun!

My birthday was in June, BTW.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:22 pm

I'm always surprised when I find women who never learned to drive (and I've yet to meet a man who hasn't :D). It's a good skill to have, Candy, even if you don't own a car - like riding a bike or knowing how to swim.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:30 pm

I know, and rue not having it every time it transpires that knowing how to drive would be an advantage. When I've saved up a bit of money, I'll definitely invest in lessons and get my licence. Actually running a car is not on my to do list, but being able to drive -- yes, please!

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:59 am

I havn't learned yet, But i figure im in a transit-friendly city for the forseeable future and then possibly moving to where they drive on the other side! Also cars are a big part of pollution which sucks for being cancer and athsma and everything else causeing. And traffic... and costing a lot....
My sister who is 16 is learning, and is furious with me for not having my lisence yet. Apparently she is embarassed by having a 20 year old non-driving sister!
I'll learn eventually, theres too many places i want to go that probably are not transit friendly.
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:14 am

Hi Elvira, feel free to tell your sister you know a thirty nine year old woman who has never learned to drive. She needs to understand that the world doesn't work the way she wants it to.

Doesn't work the way I want it to, either.

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:16 pm

Hellooo?
Anyone about?
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi Azriel, how are you?

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:37 pm

Good good :) A little hot at the moment.
How about you? What are you up to?
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:51 pm

We haven't had much of a summer here. I'm working on my Batman v Predator story, and have since learned while researching canon that it's been done a few times. I've got some ideas for it that may be original, though. I was really stuck on it when it first occurred to me, so I might as well go for it.

My second part time job starts on Monday and will run with the first one.

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:58 pm

Oh good luck with the new job. What kind of jobs do you do?

It's been a fairly hot summer here, not terribly bad tempwise (hovering around 90F/33C) but it's REALLY humid so even temps in the 80s feel oppressive.

I'm just finishing up the 7th book on my list of 21 that I have to read before school starts at the end of this month. Slogging away through books for work instead of pleasure really takes the fun out of it :/

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:02 pm

Azriel wrote:Oh good luck with the new job. What kind of jobs do you do?

Thanks. I do admin/reception/data entry/filing.

It's been a fairly hot summer here, not terribly bad tempwise (hovering around 90F/33C) but it's REALLY humid so even temps in the 80s feel oppressive.

What's that in Centigrade? I find Celsius/Centigrade easier to understand.

I'm just finishing up the 7th book on my list of 21 that I have to read before school starts at the end of this month. Slogging away through books for work instead of pleasure really takes the fun out of it :/

What books are they? Would it help to discuss them here, fun-wise?

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:15 pm

90F is around 33C and mid 80s is around 30C.

Well I'm teaching 3 Jr.high and high school lit classes, so the books range from easy - Beverly Cleary's 'Dear Mr.Henshaw' to more difficult - Twelfth Night to deep - C.S.Lewis' 'The Screwtape Letters.'
What makes the reading tedious is that I have to read specifically with different grade levels in mind, have to think of projects and essay questions, pull out important quotes etc. Some of the books have teaching guides already but most of them I need to make up my own curriculum. Some of the books will be great fun to teach - Treasure Island, The 21 Balloons, The Outsiders, etc. But others are kinda meh like Robinson Crusoe and Pilgrim's Progress.
I have to get excited about them all though because I think my main challenge in these classes is going to be getting teens to be excited about literature. A lot of my students are ESL as well so that's another challenge. I look forward to it really - but I really need to make sure I'm prepared.

I may post a thread sometime soon with a list of all the books I'm teaching just to get people's opinions on which are the most fun etc.

Return to “General Chat”