Blue Heron & Mississippi Kite

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Blue Heron & Mississippi Kite

Postby TomCotton » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:14 pm

The other day I went out to get the emptied trash can and saw a blue heron flying around. It landed on a utility line in the back and stayed long enough for me to get a picture of it.
Purtyneet lookin' boid. :D

A few days later I was out front again and saw a Mississippi Kite land in a tree being harrassed by two mockingbirds. It flew to the back and landed at the top of a tree. The birds in the area were a bit peeved at it.
:)
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Blue Heron & Mississippi Kite

Postby shireling » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:00 pm

Wow! :thud: You lucky guy! They are so beautiful - that heron is awesome.

Over the past few years, we've been seeing more and more non-native-to-the-area birds, like sea gulls, cranes and buzzards. I came upon the latter one day while taking a short cut through an area park, taking advantage of the large raccoon lying dead in the middle of the road. These guys have six foot wing spans, and when it took off, it was quite a sight.

Thanks for posting these, Tom :) . My next phone has got to have camera.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:29 am

Beautiful birds. Isn't it unusual that they come so close to houses?

We have red kites and black kites in our area. Red kites are more common than black ones, but since there are some brooks and rivers in our area, the black kite has been coming back. So have the herons, buzzards, hawks, falcons and sparrowhawks. Vis-a-vis our hous is a huge spruce, and right on top of it a peregrine falcon couple built their nest and raised their young ones. They even used our garden for their flight training. Leah was a bit peeved and suspicious, but nothing happened. :) Beautiful birds, and a joy to watch how they were raised. We kept the binoculars ready on the kitchen window sill as long as they were there. :lol:
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:51 pm

padfoot, I stayed at a condo on the beach in Florida once many years ago. An osprey couple had made a nest on a tall lamp post and raised two chicks. Lots of noise during the day. An osprey has a large wingspan also. Some people do not really understand how big some wingspans on birds are. Most of the time they only see birds in nature films on TV or at the cinema where there is usually nothing to compare the size. When you see a large bird spread its wings up close and personal it is an eye opener. :thud:

dany500, take your spam and shove it. :mad: :naughty:
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:08 pm

It's fascinating! I loved watching them, could sit and watch them for hours. The parents were hard-working birds!

Unfortunately, once the Youngsters were raised, a couple of magpies took the nest over (since falcons themselves don't build, just accustom used nests to their needs), and they have been there ever since. I much prefer falcons to magpies... :D

I often see buzzards and hawks sitting on trees along the roads. Sometimes I think they're waiting for their food to be served (as in getting hit by a car), but of course they're also looking for mice, squirrels, etc.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:07 pm

We have had a bumper crop of buzzards! :/ They are all over the place!

Reminds me of the time we went to the zoo, and saw that a number of animals & birds had been 'adopted'. It's a really cool way to help keep the critters fed, but most gravitate to the cuties. So, as soon as the attorneys noticed that nobody was lining up for the reptiles and vultures, whole law firms took them on. They even named the South American condor Senior Partner :D .

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:18 pm

Some birds can be pretty smart. I might have mentioned this before, but a while back there was a mockingbird that would show up whenever I started mowing the lawn. It would fly in and hang out on an overhead wire until I passed by then swoop down and grab the insects that were flushed by the lawn mower. That went on for a few years and has not happened for quite a while.

Birds do show up when I go out back and put stale bread on top of a metal shed. All kinds of different birds sort of hang out on the wires and in the trees waiting for me to leave then they swoop in and grab the bread. The mockingbirds actually get quite close while waiting for me to leave. The sparrows stay further away. Must be more timid.

During the winter when I fill the bird feeders the chickadees will land very close and wait for me to finish. I have not coaxed one to feed from my hand yet, but I do keep trying. :)
Audere est Facere

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:36 am

So, as soon as the attorneys noticed that nobody was lining up for the reptiles and vultures, whole law firms took them on. They even named the South American condor Senior Partner :D .

Somehow this connection is very appropriate, don't you think? Reptiles and vultures/law firms... :D :D :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:32 pm

Senior Partner

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:42 pm

Padfoot wrote:
So, as soon as the attorneys noticed that nobody was lining up for the reptiles and vultures, whole law firms took them on. They even named the South American condor Senior Partner :D .

Somehow this connection is very appropriate, don't you think? Reptiles and vultures/law firms... :D :D :D

My cousin's a lawyer, and he knows all the jokes. For instance, what's the difference between a lawyer and a carp?

...one's a garbage-feeding, bottom-dweller and the other's a fish...

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:07 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

"Senior Partner" shows at least some decent self-mockery :lol: :lol:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:02 pm

How did we get so far off topic? :lmao:

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:27 pm

Did we? :lmao: :evil: :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:43 am

Well, yeah...broadly speaking, I think we did :lol: . But, to our credit, we're still talking about birds :D

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:05 am

:lmao: :lmao:

Return to “General Chat”