RIP Tom Magliozzi

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

RIP Tom Magliozzi

Postby shireling » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:51 pm

'Car Talk' Co-Host Tom Magliozzi, and one of National Public Radio's most popular personalities, died on Monday from complications due to Alzheimer's Disease. He was 77.

I don't remember a time when I didn't know about this show. Every Saturday, and if I managed to miss it, then every Sunday, I'd tune in just for the banter between Tom and his younger brother, Ray. I've included a clip from the show, that was posted on the NPR Newsite:

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlaye ... =357430667

The only things I remember from all those years of listening is that

A) the 1st & 2cd lanes on Interstate's are for driving, not for passing - though you can pass in the 2cd lane. You can travel in the 2cd lane, without passing, and people who tailgate you are wrong (and that's what the 3rd lane's for.)

B) don't carry a lot of keys on your car's key chain. It can inadvertently turn off your ignition.

Both of those are the opinions of Tom & Ray, and not those of NPR, but I agree.

Aw, man...You are already missed, Mr. M. Sincerest condolences to Ray, the rest of your family, friends, and those of us who tuned in, and will continue to for as long as my local station will carry reruns of the show.

Tom (right) and Ray grew up great friends despite a 12-year gap between them. Both graduated from MIT before going into the car repair business. - from NPR

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Re: RIP Tom Magliozzi

Postby TomCotton » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:19 pm

Yep, read that in the paper.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Return to “General Chat”