Re: Mental Health & Some Helps

Postby Padfoot » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:46 pm

I actually like this advice. Could be a motto! :D
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:35 pm

A plot twist. That's what today was like. From 6:20 AM until 20 minutes ago. My kitchen sink backed up and then that backed up into dishwasher, which flooded my floor. It was filthy brown water, and I couldn't get a soul to come until 11 o'clock. I fell down the stairs, and couldn't get up - thank God a neighbor heard me and got me turned round so that I didn't tumble head over heels. Right now, my dishwasher's running to clear out the gunk and my rugs are drying on the porch. The maintenance guy said it was okay; it's a rule you don't dry stuff on the porch.

I moved Amy's food and water into the bedroom, and that helped. We ate out for breakfast (just some McDonald's) and ordered pizza. I cried because I didn't have enough money to give him a proper tip - I'm still weepish. There's a cloud of profanity circling my ceiling; I'm not very imaginative. When I get angry, I fall back on the popular multi-syllable ones. And then I feel guilty for doing it at all, no matter how justified I feel. The plumber says it's from upstairs, but I don't care. I just am glad it's done. But the next time there's a plot twist, I want to be consulted first.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:30 pm

I hope the next plot twist is for the better! Consider yourself hugged from overseas! :hug: :hug:

If it came from upstairs, does that mean the plumber will have a look at the upstairs flat(s), too? What does the maintenance say about it?

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Well, it's confusing. The city drain & sewer man says it's from the hydrants - which doesn't make sense, because this was sewage in my appliance and sink. I don't think that's what's used to put out fires - just sayin' . The maintenance guy tends to go with that; now the plumber says it's from upstairs, but I don't see how. They all agree that we didn't do this, and the condo association will pay for all the work we had done yesterday, which is great. They just don't know where it all came from.

Btw, you hugs are much appreciated :hug: :hug: :) .

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:15 pm

ONE good thing: you won't have to pay.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:06 pm

Yeah! Especially since we got a bill about as big as the one for the car today :lol: .

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:50 pm

Right now, I'd have to say that we're both fighting depression. Mine is due to The Situation, which is well-known to one and all, :roll: but the Honey of mine's seems to be chemical.

His medication isn't working like it was. In the middle of September, he told the GP at his last visit about how he felt (like his soul was dead, and that he was falling into blackness), and then the Nurse Practitioner the following week. As scary as that was to hear him say that, what was so great was the reaction of both professionals. They didn't panic, they didn't call for the guys in the white coats, they just listened and we all talked about what might help at this point. The family doctor thought a boost in the Paxil might help, but only asked that he be kept informed of what was decided at Good Sam's.

There, the N.P. increased the Paxil from 20 to 40 mg, and put him on Wellbutrin 150 mg SR. It's been a little more than two weeks, so there's been no real change yet. He looks so sad. This morning I suggested maybe having lunch at the Mexican restaurant he loves (hadn't been there since March), and that perked him up a little. I need to schedule an appointment for at Good Sam's by the end of the week (she wanted to see him in a month.)

As for me, I just go online and find comfort in the various outrage sites :lol: .

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:38 pm

self-healing:

forgive yourself for the stagnancy that was produced from your depression

(via irishfino)

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:40 pm

self care for when you hit rock bottom

catstrus:

i fucking hate self care posts made by neurotypicals so here’s one from someone who Actually Gets It

-can’t shower or take a bath? me either. dry shampoo can make your hair look and feel cleaner, and baby wipes or makeup wipes work great to get the top layer of grime off your skin.

-can’t wash your sheets and make your bed? i feel you. push your blankets out of the way and shake the crumbs off your sheet. it will at least be a bit more comfortable.

-can’t even change out of your dirty pajamas? been there. hit yourself with some febreeze and a lint roller. if you can, brush your hair. if you can’t, hair ties and bobby pins are fantastic.

-can’t make anything to eat? same. if you can, there’s no shame in ordering food. in fact, it’s probably better you eat something rather than go hungry. if you can’t, try and find something that comes pre-made or takes minimal effort to make. at the very least, drink some water.

can’t respond to messages or reach out for help? yeah, i get that. set an alarm for a few hours from now and respond to any messages you need to once you’ve given yourself time to prepare. if they’re Important Messages that need Professional Responses, you can find fill-in-the-blank format rough drafts on google. as far as personal messages go, don’t feel bad for sending a mass “I’m sorry, I’m in a personal emergency right now. I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.” response to everyone.

-can’t even sleep because it’s so bad? asmr videos always knock me out, personally, but i also watch a lot of bob ross. just try to find something quiet and soothing to use as background noise and take your mind off it, or at least give you a more peaceful environment to think about it.

-can’t go for a walk/drive? try opening the blinds or curtains. you’re still exposing yourself to the outside world. baby steps. (i also play animal crossing or sims; it may be virtual but fuck it. i went on a walk.)

-can’t go into work/school? let people know. let your coworkers or classmates know it’s an emergency and you can’t make it. give yourself up to two days, but then you have to go back. ask to have your work emailed to you so you know what you missed.

-can’t brush your teeth and wash your face? makeup or baby wipes and gum or mouthwash. don’t let yourself physically rot bc you’re rotting emotionally.

-remember that you’ve been here before. if you survived then you can survive now. that’s what this is about- survival. you don’t have to be living your Best Life. right now, it’s more than enough that you’re alive.

(via dwarrowdams)

Tags: absolute best mental health this is so important

Return to “General Chat”