Characters and stories

"Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy" - come here to discuss your favorite books about things that never happened.
MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Re: Characters and stories

Postby MsBrandybuck » Sat May 05, 2012 9:01 pm

Good idea!
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat May 05, 2012 9:48 pm

I'm in!

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat May 05, 2012 9:57 pm

I've always loved the scene in the Mines of Moria (or Khazad Dum, as it is more properly known if you're a Dwarf), where the cave troll makes his presence felt. It's got all the thrills I've ever experienced of an old-fashioned horror movie with flavours of Jaws, King Kong, and Godzilla. Add the knight in shining mithril and you've got one winner of a scene!

To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat May 05, 2012 10:30 pm

I haven't seen this in a long time. God, I really miss the big screen versions of these movies :(.

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun May 06, 2012 12:32 am

Oh, you really can't beat the cinematic experience!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun May 06, 2012 11:41 am

No. Especially with these films. There is so much stuff in the background - and CGI wasn't all that old.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun May 06, 2012 11:12 pm

There are three things in the Book that I like better much in the films:

1) In the first few pages of TTT, Aragorn tells Legolas & Gimli that he would have guided Frodo to Mordor and gone with him to the end. In FOTR, Aragorn tells Frodo this to his face, and Frodo tells him to look after the others, especially Sam. Very touching, and most effective.

2) In ROTK, there's a two & half page discussion between Denathor, Steward of Gondor, and Gandalf over fight or flight; in TTT, Denathor starts screaming for folks to "Flee! Flee for your lives!" and Gandalf just bonks him with his staff. At that moment, everybody who had read the Book cheered.

3) Again, in ROTK, Sam wakes up to find that Frodo is already up and about. In the movie, Frodo awakens after all the others and finds Gandalf alive at the foot of the bed. It just struck me as more fitting.

But, I also have things that I preferred in the Book:

1) I missed the discussions between Frodo and Faramir, though I understand why they had to truncate them and give over more to Sam as Frodo's protector.

2) I love "The Scouring of the Shire". Just love it to bits - the hobbits taking the Shire back, that whole scene with Saruman in BagEnd! Yeah! It is so awesome to me! Again, it's giving Frodo his due and you can see why he's called the Wise.

3) I wish that the hobbits were arrayed in their Gondorian splendor when everybody bows to them at the Coronation. You do get a glimpse as they ride home, but at least we were spared the minstrel. Gandalf says their clothes will be preserved (as relics of history); Tolkien doesn't say that they absolutely do or don't wear the clothes (ie, rags and tatters) as Frodo and Sam are presented by the King, but I think they didn't.

4) I liked the Council of Elrond in the Book, though from what I hear, it took about as long to for them to film the scene even without Bilbo in it.
And I do like that Frodo said "I will take it!", three times instead of the once. I find the number three very significant - the cock crowed three times, Peter's denials were three, and there's a saying attributed to the Imam Ali, "O world! Delude some other than I! I need thee not. I have divorced thee thrice, I shall never wed thee again!"

All in all, I like the extended dvds much better. I wish now that they could have done the movies in the way that The Hobbit is planned, that we could have seen the trilogy over six years, instead of three. But that's me :).

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun May 06, 2012 11:21 pm

I don't like waiting, but I get what you're saying.

There's a lot of superfluous stuff in the books that I really couldn't engage with, Tom Bombadil being one of them. I got some insight into him later on, but still think the films didn't suffer for the lack of him. Sorry to all who were offended by that.

PJ could have avoided the multiple endings thing and tacked on another sequel for the scouring of the Shire. I hope somebody does a film version of that. It needs to be done, but it would be a self-contained affair, I think.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon May 07, 2012 12:54 am

Oh, I don't miss Bombadil at all, and I've been skimming over those bits for a while now. The actors have so embodied the characters for me, that when I read I hear their voices - even in parts that weren't made.

I'm guessing we'll see Beorn, and the Necromancer in The Hobbit?

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Mon May 07, 2012 1:28 am

If we're seeing Galadriel and Legolas, I hope so.

Return to “Fantasy”