Characters and stories

"Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy" - come here to discuss your favorite books about things that never happened.
Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Characters and stories

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:17 pm

What are your favourite stories in the Tolkien legendarium? Who are your favourite characters and why?
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Re: Characters and stories

Postby Shuggy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:21 pm

I cannot pick from the book, because as far as each character is written (personality-wise) the majority are indistinguishable from each other.

The films are much better for this. I loved Sean Bean's portrayal of a conflicted Boromir and David Wenham's noble and resigned Faramir, in particular.

ETA: I assumed everyone knew I was talking about LOTR.... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Shuggy on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:59 pm

I always liked Niggle in "Leaf By Niggle". The story, to me, is very entertaining. Niggle is complex enough to keep me thinking about his personality that is not necessarily discussed at length in the story. It is something that is hard to quantify, just something that has always intrigued me throughout the decades of reading Tolkien. :)
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:09 am

I've never had the pleasure of reading Leaf By Niggle, Tom.

I came across one of the HoME books and read about Aelfwine, and was intrigued by the thought of a Man living on Tol Eressea with the Elves. I was particularly taken with the notion of a cute little Elf girl sitting on his lap -- and telling him a story!

Keith
House Elf

Postby Keith » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:59 pm

I have a special fondness for the original version of the Fall of Gondolin. The original Beren and Luthien story has some rather naff bits (Sauron is a giant cat?!), but the Fall of Gondolin is at least as epic and tragic as LotR, presumably informed by Tolkien's then very recent experience of war. (The original story's dragons function rather like WW1 tanks.) It also has the greater sense of moral ambiguity and fallibility of the heroes that marks the Silmarillion-era stories. It's a real shame Tolkien never finished his rewrite of it.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:07 pm

I do love the epic quality of the Silmarillion. Sauron as a giant cat, though? Reminds me of the Disney version of Merlin!

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:23 pm

Turin Turambar. Brooding, dark, conflicted. Obvious babe magnet right there. Preferred the Sil version of the Children of Hurin tale rather than the just released book or HOME version. A very accomplished take on a traditional story theme esp seen in spoken sagas, dark age and medieval writings. There is a healthy willingness to display his psychological and social weaknesses and contrast these against his strength, determination and reckless bravery.
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:18 pm

He's a very developed character. The others are usually sketchy. I mean, we know Elrond is kind, a healer and has a deliciously angsty past, but that's all we know about him. I loved the Hugo Weaving portrayal. That's how I think of my favourite peredhel.

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:52 pm

In terms of awesomeness, Eowyn is probably my favourite character. While the "badass babe with a sword" has sort of become a staple of fantasy, Eowyn avoids being just that. She's fiercly proud and protective of her people, and does her duty untill she can she she isnt being put to her best use. She then takes Merry under her wing and goes and STABS an NAZGUL in the FACE! Holy crap!

I saw an article someplace about the women of middle earth being super passive and i was like "uhhhmmm what? did you even read it?"
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:02 pm

ElviraStarkeeper wrote:In terms of awesomeness, Eowyn is probably my favourite character. While the "badass babe with a sword" has sort of become a staple of fantasy, Eowyn avoids being just that. She's fiercly proud and protective of her people, and does her duty untill she can she she isnt being put to her best use. She then takes Merry under her wing and goes and STABS an NAZGUL in the FACE! Holy crap!

I saw an article someplace about the women of middle earth being super passive and i was like "uhhhmmm what? did you even read it?"

Whut? No, they are NOT! They are very well developed indeed. I mean, if we go through a list of ME women and the way they are portrayed, you will find they have personalities and do more than simply pop the odd sprog now and again.

I love Galadriel for that reason. She's tough, but very much a woman.

When I write women, I write them as women, not as men dressed up as women. I think it's entirely possible, though, to have a woman act like a woman and be strong and not, "Ooh! I broke a nail!"

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:28 pm

Exaaactly! That is why the article made me rage so much! I mean, even Arwen who we hardly see has some very difficult and painful choices to make.
I've loved Galadriel since before I even read the books. My dad told me about the elven queen in the golden wood when i was probably 3 or thereabouts. Ever since then she has been this mysterious magical regal figure just fixed in my imagination.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:43 pm

If you've read the background stuff in the Silm and the Histories of ME, you'll find that she's done a fair bit of fighting. You don't have to be an Elf, it seems, to be tough. There have been a fair few tough women in Tolkien's tales.

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:04 pm

I have sadly read only part of the Silm and very little of other middle-earth stuff.. I should do though! Next time i am moaning about "nothing to read".
Tough Tolkienian women don't surprise me though, not looking at some of the things he drew from. The Sagas and Beowulf and things, and anglo-saxon/viking culture in general. Women were being tough all over the place! Well, everyone was..

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:12 pm

True, dat. What I really loved is that they were also women, if you know what I mean. Eowyn knew it was aberrant to "vie with the men" and to generally act like one, but she couldn't bear the thought of only being the one who sorted out the housekeeping. She couldn't see any value in herself or her life as it was, so she sought it in death.

I was almost amused at the Gondorian reaction to the discovery of Eowyn on the battlefield: "Have your women come to help you in your hour of need?"

Heck, the Rohirrim were as surprised as he was!

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:22 pm

Yeah. One thing i think a lot of modern societies have lost is the fact that being hardcore and being womanly are not opposites. Same with being sexy and being smart not being oppostites. rant rant rant ect. This is why Eowyn and those like her are so cool :)

Return to “Fantasy”