China Mieville

"Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy" - come here to discuss your favorite books about things that never happened.
Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

China Mieville

Postby Withywindle » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:35 pm

Read books by this man. He is the best fantasy author alive today.

Astounding.

You can now return to your workstations.
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Re: China Mieville

Postby Shuggy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:06 pm

I'm lazy - explain why I need to read his books, please.
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

Postby resoundingjoy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:32 am

I read "Kraken" and apparently I was completely misinformed in regards to what the novel was going to be about (not a shining moment for this librarian-in-training). I was under the impression that it was going to be a science fiction novel about a giant squid, which it is, but the squid only one of many minor characters in the overall plot. If I had to classify it, I might say major genre: science fiction, subgenre: fantasy with a strong urban horror bent. It was very good for what it is, but when I read it, I was still thinking it was more fantasy and was quite confused until I figured it out.

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:12 pm

Nice try Shuggy... but it is just a recommendation not a review. ;-)

Anyone can pop his name into a search engine and read his book reviews - done by professionals. :-) If anyone is too lazy to do that... well they are probably too lazy to read a book anyway. ;-)

If someone on here is in a library or a bookshop and thinks "Hey! China Mieville. Didn't someone suggest him on the website?" and they then check out or perhaps buy a book then my work is done.

What I find interesting, amazing, imaginative and creative in his books might not inspire other people or may indeed put them off!

Use your own judgement people. I trust you. :-)

RJ: First kudos on your job choice. Librarians may be the only kind of wizard we have in our world. Occasionally frightening, mostly kindly. May the gods smile on you and bless your work. And I am only half joking. Good stuff. :)
I'm reading Kraken next. Several of his books are based 'on Earth' albeit CM's version of contemporary Earth in dear old sunny London (apart from The City & The City set in eastern europe which is a corker). Most of his novels however are set in the Bas Lag world setting which is more fantasy than sci fi - although both elements are again present. Horror too of course! ;-)

Edit: When I can get it to work that is... Try again. Bah! OK. Think I've got it. From those I have read he does cross several genres. The three mentioned are ever present in varying proportions but Iron Council could also be described as a Western and The City & The City as a Noir Thriller.
Last edited by Withywindle on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Withywindle wrote:Nice try Shuggy... but it is just a recommendation not a review. ;-)

Anyone can pop his name into a search engine and read his book reviews - done by professionals. :-) If anyone is too lazy to do that... well they are probably too lazy to read a book anyway. ;-)

That's my point - an expert or 'critic' can tell me if it is a well-written book, and how it functions technically as a piece of prose, but only a fan can tell me why I should enjoy the book, or why I need to read it.

You with me?

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:14 pm

You with me?

Nope. ;) :) You will find plenty of fan reviews on t'interweb too.

What I find interesting, amazing, imaginative and creative in his books might not inspire other people or may indeed put them off!

Use your own judgement people. I trust you.

I'm not you. You aren't me. I like it. You might not. Pick one up and take a punt. Or don't. It's just a name to think about if you are at a loose end and you have the opportunity. :)

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:54 pm

I've read UnLunDun, but that's it. I liked it but from what I remember it seemed slightly too convoluted... I've been meaning to pick up some of his other stuff though - perhaps his adult books instead of YA.
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:57 pm

Warning: China Meville prose and plotting is tremendously convoluted in his adult novels! If you don't like that then I'd steer clear.

That said it is dripping with ideas, imagination and the fantastical. :)

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:52 pm

Withywindle wrote:I'm not you. You aren't me. I like it. You might not. Pick one up and take a punt. Or don't. It's just a name to think about if you are at a loose end and you have the opportunity. :)

Your enthusiasm isn't exactly selling it! :lol:

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:29 pm

Nothing wrong with a solid unfussy recommendation. Never was a swooner. Otherwise I'd have stayed on the old boards alot more than I did! ;-)

Keith
House Elf

Postby Keith » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:13 am

I read Perdido Street Station a while ago, and to be honest I was a bit underwhelmed. The setting was good, if a bit steampunk-cliched, and in fact everything going on in it (the intelligent machines, the anti-government groups, the hand creatures, the Weaver) seemed much more interesting than the rather pedestrian main plot.

Return to “Fantasy”