A Song of Ice and Fire by GRR Martin

"Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy" - come here to discuss your favorite books about things that never happened.
Vairë
Crimebuster

A Song of Ice and Fire by GRR Martin

Postby Vairë » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:16 pm

Anyone else reading this? I know Frodophile was and has probably long finished it. Mistress and I have been reading it too. I'm in the fourth book "A Feast for Crows" and am amazed at the pace this author is able to keep up. I've read the King Arthur series by Jack Whyte, which was also very good, but Whyte, I think, lost steam toward the end. Martin is amazing in his ability to keep you solidly entertained, chapter after chapter, book after book.

As a bonus, it seems there is a pilot for a tv series that has recently wrapped up with Sean Bean as Eddard Stark. No date on its release yet but I am anxiously awaiting more news!
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

Cassie
Wyvern

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire by GRR Martin

Postby Cassie » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:38 pm

I keep hearing things about these books but I've never got around to reading them....what's the general plot? :)
[Under Construction]

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:55 am

Sorry it took me so long to reply, Cassie! I think I messed up some setting and didn't get notified that anyone had posted. :?

It's set in a fictional land called Westeros, a land of conflicting kingdoms. It is set in an age similar to LotR. Wikipedia explains it better than I can:
"There are three principal storylines in the series: the chronicling of a dynastic civil war for control of Westeros between several competing families; the rising threat of the Others who dwell beyond an immense wall of ice that forms Westeros' northern border; and the journey of Daenerys Targaryen, the exiled daughter of a king who was murdered in another civil war fifteen years previously (War of the Usurper) and now seeks to return to Westeros and claim her rightful throne. As the series progresses, all three storylines become intensely interwoven and dependent on each other."

It's VERY well written, exciting and hard to put down. Martin includes lots of appendices at the back listing the characters and who they are associated with, which I found incredibly helpful at first because there are lot of them and I kept getting them mixed up. As well, there is an exceptional reference website at http://www.towerofthehand.com/ which is much like the Encylopedia of Arda is for LotR.

It doesn't come across as typical fantasy reading but more realistic, almost believable. It's pretty graphic, however, and has some sexual encounters that would curl your hair, and violence that makes you wonder what kind of mind could think of this and then write it down! However, it's all in an effort to paint the characters with a full brush and sometimes I feel I can see them so clearly, I wonder if I've been watching a movie or reading a book!
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:03 pm

Certainly sounds interesting! I will have to look them up :)
[Under Construction]

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:08 pm

Oooh, Sean Bean as Eddard Stark?
This could be good.

I've only read the first one so far. It took a while to get into because of all the different characters and their individual plots, but once I got to know them all and could keep the names straight, I really started to like it.
I recently bought 2-4 used, so I'm looking forward to continuing these.
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:43 pm

Wouldn't he make a delicious Ned Stark? :twisted: Bummer his character gets bumped off AGAIN. :cry: If the Compleat was still up and running, they could add "Death by Ice" to his list.

I'm still reading A Feast for Crows which seems to be dragging a bit. In an author's note at the back, Martin even admits "This one was a b*tch" and you can tell. However, the book after AFFC isn't even out yet so I'm in no great hurry to finish up and leave all these characters!

Keith
House Elf

Postby Keith » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:20 pm

I've been following this series for some time now, after binge-reading the first three books back around 2003 then reading A Feast for Crows when it came out. I agree that it wasn't the strongest book in the series - in particular, I think it was a mistake for Martin to add extra point-of-view characters in Dorne and the Iron Islands who we only see for one chapter each and who frankly don't all need to be in the book.

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:18 pm

Yes, Keith, goodness knows he's got enough characters in there! :shock: He could be developing them more in the next book, I suppose. But I'm anxious to find out what's happened to all the characters he left out in AFFC! He's dealing with all my least favourites in this one, although Jaime is growing on me.

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:55 am

I guess my wife is reading this on her iPhone & says its pretty good after the first book. I may have to give this yet another go...
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:45 pm

I enjoyed the first book too, myself. I enjoyed the last one the least. I wonder when the next one will be out. Hope it doesn't take too long or I'll forget what happened before and have to start over again! :shock:

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:56 pm

I'm glad they came out with the mini-series. I just can't get into reading this series. Tried again, but it didn't happen.

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:02 pm

I don't blame you Halasian. I feel like the whole thing has grown out of even Martin's control! I guess I'll continue to read the novels as they come out, just because I've invested the time and energy into the story so far and want to see the outcome, but to be honest, the "joy" has worn off...

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:43 pm

Guess I should be thankful I only managed to get 7 chapters into Game of Thrones once, and that was after 6 months! The only reason I've attempted this so many times is because several people whom I have high respect of their opinions said it was a great read. I guess it either clicks with the reader or it don't. Mini-series I can watch. Thanks HBO!

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:01 am

What do you like to read, Halasian? Right now I'm really enjoying a series by PJ Parrish about a young cop named Louis Kincaid. They're murder mystery/police drama style. Very exciting and very well written, not too much bad language or gross violence.

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:33 am

Fantasy-wise I'm working my way through the Malazan series.
Took a break to read a WW2 based novel called Wheels of Terror.

Return to “Fantasy”