J K Rowling and her poorly written cash cow to stagger on...

"Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy" - come here to discuss your favorite books about things that never happened.
Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Re: J K Rowling and her poorly written cash cow to stagger o

Postby Candy Kane » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:32 pm

Noooooo!!!!!
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:11 pm

Twilight. Something else for the book shelf next to HP: Gen2 and Eragon. ;)

A side note: here is a site where you can down load a paper model pdf of the Key to Time.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Postby Shuggy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:29 pm

It's the contempt for the reader that Rowling has that gets me; a Werewolf shows up at Hogwarts at exactly the same time as a Professor whose surname is 'Lupin'... She then continues the rest of the book as if the big reveal that Lupin and the Werewolf are the same ISN'T painfully and insultingly obvious. I mean, Jesus - wolf/Lupin - really?!
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:38 am

I stopped reading the first one half way through. As soon as Potter got to the mirror of ERISED. Mirror and Erised. Desire backwards. Dear me. I know they are for kids but treating kids as total numbskulls is pretty insulting.
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:50 pm

Haha, wow what a passionate bunch ;)

My thoughts on the article: Well of course she's going to write more. Anyone not expecting that is a bit slow. I personally don't think she should write more HP books though. It's time to realize when things have come to an end. If she tries to re-create the HP hype she'll only fail. If she continues writing it should have no links to HP imo.

Re: her writing.... So, Withy are you really basing all your thoughts about HP on *half* of the first book?

I agree that she stole stuff, it wasn't a hugely original plot, and it's not high literature. BUT I enjoyed the books a lot, she had some fun characters, some good humor, and I think she's not bad at the actual writing (as Stephenie 'adjective abuser' Meyer IS).
The names and the dog-latin spells annoy me a lot though.

There's a difference between being inspired by something, and copying something.
We say pretty easily that Paolini copied things... but Tolkien was inspired by things. But I begin to wonder where we draw the line. Is it ok to be inspired by things only if they are very old? Nobody gets on Tolkien's case for using Anglo Saxon names or copying old myths and legends into his books - is that because they're old enough that people don't realize he did so?
I mean seriously.... Theoden is the Anglo-saxon word for 'king'
If Rowling had a king and named him King Rex or King Konig we'd all be rolling our eyes at the stupid pun.... but it's ok when Tolkien does it....why?

I don't mean to compare Rowling and Tolkien, there's a clear difference in their types of writing - I don't think YA fanatsy can really be compared to Epic literature. I'm just using a for instance.
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Good argument, Az. Now I feel less silly for enjoying it. Fair dues to Withy, though: he made some good points.

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:47 pm

Half was all I needed. Erised was the final straw! I know appalling when I read it and why should anyone read several books of something they hate just to say: I really, really hate that? :/ After all someone would then probably say "Well for someone who hated it you've read enough of them!" :P That I didn't even manage a full book tells you what I did think of that I did struggle through!

There is an absolute world of difference between inspiration and plagiarising I agree. And to be fair I did say she was a borderline plagiarist... ;) Tolks The Hobbit has Beowulf references all through it but I defy anyone to say it is plagiarised in any way shape or form. He is just a fabulous writer and dare I say it... puts a bit more bloody effort in!! :lol: At least he used anglo saxon, finnish, welsh etc to base his own languages on to 'make up' his names. I'll forgive him the odd Theoden!

JK's writing in itself (never mind the content) did for me.

As it is I'm no longer a Mome Rath and am now a bloody House Elf! :help:
Last edited by Withywindle on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:56 pm

Would you think I was an idiot if I said I liked the opening line? I found it amusing, and the descriptions of the Dursleys are well funny. Dudley as "a pig in a wig" -- Priceless!

And I noticed the "borderline" comment, so that's why I said fair dues. I think you're right in many ways, so I find it hard to argue with you. Nonetheless, apart from the items you pointed out, I did enjoy it.

Yep, they annoyed me, too.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:42 am

Is it wrong to like it anyway?

Nope, don't think so. I myself, like it a lot... :P

And I agree with Azriel, good points there. I have to say I liked the humour of the books, and I frankly admit that I'm not that much familiar with the old northern legends or the works of other writers (or the Dr. Who franchise, come to that), or old languages to see or to know right away what is a rip-off and what's "inspired by".
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Postby Shuggy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:03 pm

Azriel wrote:There's a difference between being inspired by something, and copying something.
We say pretty easily that Paolini copied things... but Tolkien was inspired by things. But I begin to wonder where we draw the line. Is it ok to be inspired by things only if they are very old? Nobody gets on Tolkien's case for using Anglo Saxon names or copying old myths and legends into his books - is that because they're old enough that people don't realize he did so?
I mean seriously.... Theoden is the Anglo-saxon word for 'king'
If Rowling had a king and named him King Rex or King Konig we'd all be rolling our eyes at the stupid pun.... but it's ok when Tolkien does it....why?

I don't mean to compare Rowling and Tolkien, there's a clear difference in their types of writing - I don't think YA fanatsy can really be compared to Epic literature. I'm just using a for instance.

I don't think anyone is comparing Harry Potter directly to LOTR, as they're completely different in all respects; we're just talking about the mechanics of writing - fantasy in particular, as you say.

I think the difference is that (as you said) Tolkien was inspired by Anglo-Saxon and Norse mythology - he didn't directly rip it off. I would suggest hardly ANYONE (including me) knew that 'Theoden' was Anglo-Saxon for 'King' until you mentioned it, but did Rowling really think that the teenagers who read her books were so stupid that they wouldn't know 'lupine' meaning 'of the wolf'?! :roll:

That and the other things I mentioned; lazy, lazy writing.
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:54 pm

Remembering that the series was originally meant for 8-10 year-olds, I'd probably cringe if I re-read some of the books that I felt were wonderful at that age! It is age appropriate.

JK and her series (thanks to an amazing promotion) really helped influence hundreds of thousands of kids to begin reading full length novels, and turned them on to fantasy. She really knew how to reach her intended audience.

resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

Postby resoundingjoy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:38 pm

As a librarian-in-training, I have conflicted thoughts on this particular discussion. There's no denying ashbow's point that Rowling has brought about a great resurgence of kids who are interested in reading, and are not afraid of massive novels. And we have welcomed the opportunity to point kids who have zoomed through the series towards other, perhaps higher-quality literature and novels.

I also read an article a little while back which commented on how we have confused quality with reading level. Yes, of course books for younger children with developing minds and critical thinking skills need to be written at their age level, but that doesn't mean we dumb things down. Can there be reading-level appropriate novels without oversimplification? I believe there can be. But I also think that mass market fiction for adults has become increasingly dumbed down as well. Have you looked at some of the popular fiction lately?!?

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Postby PatriotBlade » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:36 pm

Hey now! I thought this thread was about Harry Potty? ;)

I happen to like Harry Potter and Eragon, as well as Twilight, but when I read stuff like this, I try not to take them too seriously until I've read them all the way through.
Last edited by PatriotBlade on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still UNWRITTEN...

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:55 pm

Well, we've got the potty bit right -- some of us are potty about it, and others go potty at the thought of more of it coming out. Then there are those with potty mouths, but the less said about that, the better.

Return to “Fantasy”