Locked in to certain fantasy and sci-fi....

"Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy" - come here to discuss your favorite books about things that never happened.
Mingbearer
Mome Rath

Locked in to certain fantasy and sci-fi....

Postby Mingbearer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:20 am

I don't really seem to have moved far beyond JRRT, CS Lewis and Julian May.

Oh! And Bob Salvatore.

I guess this would really mean that I'm not much of a sci-fi or fantasy fan. Perhaps?

*goes back to Emily Bronte, Shakespeare and Thackerey* None of whom used asterisks to denote physical actions.

Perian
N00b

Re: Locked in to certain fantasy and sci-fi....

Postby Perian » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:41 am

Well, it might mean that you're not much of a sci-fi or fantasy fan, or it might mean you just haven't yet found the other authors you'd like.

In the fantasy field, have you read anything by Patricia A. McKillip? What I love most about her books is the rich and varied descriptions she uses in her writing, but she also has complex and sometimes quite unpredictable plots, and interesting characters.

There is also Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising sequence, and although it's written for young people, I found it more interesting than some adult books. It's quite well written; one of the books in the sequence won the Newbery Award, as I recall.

One of Ursula LeGuin's early books, Rocannon's World, is as much fantasy as it is science fiction; the main character is a scientist of sorts, but the story is set on a world that has strong elements of fantasy.

Anyway, those are three that I thought of because they are all very competent writers...the writers you list are a diverse group, but they all have this in common--at least the ones that I'm familiar with--they have the ability to tell a story that grabs your interest, and to tell it well. :)

Peri

Mingbearer
Mome Rath

Postby Mingbearer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:44 pm

Well, I've listed a few that I like, and I was a teenage D&Der.

I suppose I just tend not to 'read' fantasy books, but like the genre and watch all the movies I can.

Perian
N00b

Postby Perian » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:16 am

It looks like maybe I didn't get the drift of your first post...thanks for replying anyway, I appreciate it.

I was curious about two of the authors you mentioned, though...I'm currently looking for new books a/o authors to check out (new to me, that is, not necessarily recently published). I'm not familiar with Julian May or Bob Salvatore---are their any of their books that you'd particularly recommend as a starting point?

Peri

Mingbearer
Mome Rath

Postby Mingbearer » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:26 am

Well Perian we can always rely on Wikipedia (except for university work):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_May

The Saga of Pliocene Exile is sublime, and deals with the residents of 21st Century Earth who are using a time travel device to escape to 4/5 million years ago in earth's history.

What they don't expect to find is a warring alien race in residence.

It's brilliant; and Aiken Drum is a very worthwhile hero (not that he is a 'hero').

Bob Salvatore is one of the best writers of D&D's Forgotten Realms stories.

resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

Postby resoundingjoy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Have you tried Naomi Novik's Temeraire series? It's an alternate history of the Napoleanic Wars, except in addition to traditional war weapons, there are also sentient dragons! It has a historical aspect to it, which might appeal to you since you've listed Bronte and Thackerey as authors you like.

Perian
N00b

Postby Perian » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:50 am

The Saga of Pliocene Exile is sublime, and deals with the residents of 21st Century Earth who are using a time travel device to escape to 4/5 million years ago in earth's history.

What they don't expect to find is a warring alien race in residence.

It's brilliant; and Aiken Drum is a very worthwhile hero (not that he is a 'hero').

Thank you, that does sound promising! I'm going to see if our local library system has this. :D

Peri

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:46 pm

The Saga of Pliocene Exile sounds super cool! I shall check it out!
I also stand by Joy's recommendation of the Temeraire series. It's very well written for both historical fiction and fantasy, as well as being a fun and (fairly) unique concept.
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Arwen#1 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:44 pm

My suggestion would be anything of the Dragonlance series. The authors vary depending on what book you read, but the main ones are Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis. I started reading them when my friend ran out of R.A. Salvatore books for me to borrow.
"We're all a little crazy, just some of us are better at hiding it."

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:26 pm

The Dragon Riders of PERN books by Anne McCaffrey are interesting. The books were written and published in non-chronological order in the developement of the planet society so you can either read them as published or try to read them in chronological order.

The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny is good. The last five Amber books not so good. I have The Great Book of Amber with all 10 books in one volume. The writing style and story telling difference bewtween the first five and last five are glaring.

Faerie Tale by Raymond Feist is a very good, intense book. Not recommended for young readers or those easily disturbed.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Return to “Fantasy”