Tolkien estate demands destruction of novel about J.R.R.T.

"Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy" - come here to discuss your favorite books about things that never happened.
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Tolkien estate demands destruction of novel about J.R.R.

Postby shireling » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:24 pm

Yep...

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:35 pm

I am guilty of watching 'Seinfeld,' but have only ever watched maybe 2 'Friends' episodes. thankfully, I was able to ignore it- I really have no idea of the plots and characters and such. Yay! :D
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:41 pm

A story is a story...and that's all it is.
Just about everything at the book store could be labeled as fiction, regardless as to whether it tries to pass itself off as a biography or even a documentation. Any book that claims to be an actual account of a person or event (even an autobiography) is merely based on what the author took the time to find, and wishes to include...or leave out.

One of my favorite types of books would be labeled as historical fiction or alternate history. In these stories actual events are clearly and drastically changed from history as we know it. But what do we really know as truth. History textbooks can skew the facts and completely misrepresent the character of a person or community. Newspaper accounts are determined by the leanings of the writer or publisher, and oft repeated accounts often turn to tall tales by design or accident.

The reader has an obligation to themselves to seek other writings, or even to scour through original documents to make a generalized perspective opinion...but even then..it is just an opinion gleened from what they had available to them.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:02 pm

MsBrandybuck wrote:I am guilty of watching 'Seinfeld,' but have only ever watched maybe 2 'Friends' episodes. thankfully, I was able to ignore it- I really have no idea of the plots and characters and such. Yay! :D

:lol: There were no plots - loads of characters, but who would really want to admit knowing them?

ashbow wrote:A story is a story...and that's all it is...The reader has an obligation to themselves to seek other writings, or even to scour through original documents to make a generalized perspective opinion...but even then..it is just an opinion gleened from what they had available to them.

True.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:41 pm

Good point, Ashbow. Thanks for breathing life into this thread.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Ashbow- have you ever read anything by author Harry Turtledove?
He enjoys devising alternate history scenarios, rather tongue-in-cheek at times. You may enjoy some of his work.
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:21 pm

I'll look for one of his books the next time I get to the library...which seems like forever between trips now!

Return to “Fantasy”