Terry Pratchett: News, articles etc.

"Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy" - come here to discuss your favorite books about things that never happened.
Niamh Sage
House Elf

Terry Pratchett: News, articles etc.

Postby Niamh Sage » Fri May 07, 2010 5:51 am

Hi all,

I thought it might be nice to start author threads that are separate from book discussions, so that people can keep up to date with what the authors are doing (e.g. attendances at cons, interviews, articles, etc.).

If everyone agrees this is a good idea, I'd like to hereby declare the Terry Pratchett news thread open. :D (Let me know if it's a problem though!)

And to kick it off, here are some things of interest:

A blog post by Pterry and an article about that blog post, regarding his disappointment with the new Dr Who:

Terry Pratchett vs Who

Terry Pratchett attacks 'ludicrous' Doctor Who

(crossposted to the Dr Who thread in the TV forum, because I thought it might be of interest to discuss there - perhaps wisest to pursue any discussion of it in that thread rather than this one).

Also, Pterry will be giving a lecture at this year's Winchester Writer's Festival. The lecture is titled "Why are you listening to me when you should be at home writing?" I would love to see that *yearn yearn* - maybe they'll put a transcript of it up somewhere after the event.

Niamh Sage
House Elf

Re: Terry Pratchett: News, articles etc.

Postby Niamh Sage » Tue May 25, 2010 6:17 am

Hey all,

As you may be aware, on 25 May we Wear the Lilac to commemorate the Glorious Revolution of the 25th of May (were you there?) (see Night Watch if you don't know what I'm on about).

Since Pterry announced his diagnosis with early-onset Alzheimer's in late 2007, fans have adopted 25 May as a day to also support resarch into Alzheimer's. If you'd like to help, there's a Facebook page to join, and if you're on Twitter, you can tweet #wearthelilac to help make it a trending topic and raise awareness that way too.

If you'd like to contribute to funding into Alzheimer's research, a donation made to your local charity in the name of Sir Terry Pratchett would also be very much appreciated. Here are URLs for Alzheimer's charities in a few countries - please feel free to post your own local equivalent!

Alzheimers Australia

Alzheimer's Research Trust (UK)

Alzheimer's Association (USA)

Alzheimer Society (Canada)

Internationale Stichting Alzheimer Onderzoek (Nederland)

Stichting Alzheimer Onderzoek (België)

Thanks!

Niamh Sage
House Elf

Postby Niamh Sage » Tue May 25, 2010 11:53 am

Nice article by Pterry: The Secrets of my Success.

I particularly like the following:

I think once people know what they're capable of being, they become, not a better person, but less likely to be an unpleasant one.

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:06 am

EEE Terry Pratchett! This is a good thread! Yay!

Thanks for the links!

What do you think of his latest Discworld one?
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

highlyeccentric
House Elf

Postby highlyeccentric » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:04 pm

Heee! That article was entertaining. So far as its content... um... Terry Pratchett is not exactly in a good place to criticise the plausibility of sci-fi franchises, seeing as the place he's in is bang smack in the middle of the sci-fi section in most bookshops...

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:17 am

Hmm he's in the fantasy one in most book shops around here that i've seen... also i think he just writes whatever he feels like and gets away with it.
As a writer, I don't think even TOLKIEN has inspired me as much, and THAT was a hard one to surpass.
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Postby Shuggy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:41 am

Terry Pratchett is one of the - if not THE - best authors I have ever read.

Aside from Truckers, Diggers, Wings, The Carpet People, and the first few Discworld novels (I think it took him a while to get into his stride), I love everything he's ever written. I have no other way to describe the majority of his work (and his writing style) except as 'perfect'.
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:27 pm

There is a book with a paper model of the Unseen University that you can cut out and glue together. :)
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Postby Shuggy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:44 pm

TomCotton wrote:There is a book with a paper model of the Unseen University that you can cut out and glue together. :)

If Pratchett's description of UU is anything to go by, it should be (deliberately) physically impossible for human hands to assemble! :lol:
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Return to “Fantasy”