Dune

This is your place to discuss books that make the improbable seem possible.
Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Dune

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:12 pm

I recently discovered that I'm not the only one who likes Frank Herbert's Dune series. What are your favourite books in the series, and what do you like about it in general?

For me, the completeness of the universe created by Herbert, the epic scope and the intriguing characters make it last in my memory as a weird, tripped out spectacular. Shame about the movie, though.

Agree? Disagree?
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Re: Dune

Postby TomCotton » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:11 pm

Dune and Children of Dune , after that it got too much into a franchise feeling. The non-Herbert Dune stuff has not piqued my curiosity at all and will remain unread by me.

The story and character developement are what I like the most. Complex enough to keep it interesting and the pages turning.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:14 am

Yeah... the guy who wrote part of the series also wrote the Saga of Seven Suns, which, on occasion, was really too hokey to get into. I read all the books for completion, but I don't think I could read any more of it if he decides to write another sequel.

I liked the characters and set up -- the bad guys were particularly interesting, but the goodies had a bit of depth. The idea of an order of space nuns breeding people and interfering in social development was rather creepy, but very effective because of the implications.

And Baron Harkonnen... *shudder* He reminds me of the excesses of the loopiest Roman emperors.

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Postby Shuggy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:59 pm

Candy Kane wrote:Yeah... the guy who wrote part of the series also wrote the Saga of Seven Suns, which, on occasion, was really too hokey to get into. I read all the books for completion, but I don't think I could read any more of it if he decides to write another sequel.

I liked the characters and set up -- the bad guys were particularly interesting, but the goodies had a bit of depth. The idea of an order of space nuns breeding people and interfering in social development was rather creepy, but very effective because of the implications.

And Baron Harkonnen... *shudder* He reminds me of the excesses of the loopiest Roman emperors.

Tried the book and the film once - found both to be too bloated and self important for my liking. The book generally reads like the world's most bizarre cheese-dream as well, as I recall.

Very strange how the PC game based on the Dune world, 'Dune II' went on to become one of the most influential games on any platform; but especially the PC. Classic game - can't fault it. It's also the only RTS game that I can recall, or am aware of, that is ballsy enough to include an element whereby your game in progress can be severely hampered/totally trashed at random by circumstances beyond your control. To quote 'Beetlejuice' - "Damn Sandworms - don't you just hate 'em?!"
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:15 pm

Ha ha! I must confess, I didn't mind the pretension overmuch because it seemed to suit the genre and he was going for an epic feel. He didn't half go overboard sometimes, though. Am I the only one who found Irulan annoying?

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Postby Shuggy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:21 pm

Candy Kane wrote:Ha ha! I must confess, I didn't mind the pretension overmuch because it seemed to suit the genre and he was going for an epic feel. He didn't half go overboard sometimes, though. Am I the only one who found Irulan annoying?

You see, I thought Herbert was trying TOO hard for 'Epic', and the entire premise just couldn't back up the pretension.

I have no idea who or what an 'Irulan' is.
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:15 pm

Ah, my nerdiness comes forth: she's the princess Paul Atreides married to secure his place as emperor. He didn't love her, he already had a concubine called Chani, the love of his life.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:29 pm

The Emperor's daughter - one of the few 'humans' you could be sure of, since the Atreides had at least one animal (Harkonnen) ancestor. I loved the first four books but they lost me after "God Emperor".

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:50 pm

Yeah, he was really tripping there, and pretty much lost the plot. I read it up to then for completion, but he ran out of new ideas so I left it after that.

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:50 pm

Irulan seemed like a throw away character. It is almost as if she was included to appease some standard convention.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:05 pm

That's what princesses are pretty much all through - money, land deals and brood mares for dynasties. I always felt a bit sorry for Irulan, though - Paul said he'd allow her lovers, but no children. Candy and Tom are right - she's your basic royal pawn.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:12 pm

That explains her hardness.

Return to “Sci-Fi”