The J.R.R. Tolkien Handbook...compiled by Colin Duriez

"Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book" - Come here to discuss books about people who have lived, about things that have happened, and about everything else grounded in reality.
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

The J.R.R. Tolkien Handbook...compiled by Colin Duriez

Postby shireling » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:01 pm

A nice alphabetically-arranged guide to everything Tolkien.

I found it in paperback, and just about whatever you can think of to ask about either the works, world or the Professor himself, you can find here. Or - and in some cases, even better - where you can find more information on your topic.

I have a handful of books that cover the peoples, cultures, geography, architecture and creatures of MiddleEarth, but this fits easily in my jacket pocket and I can tote it anywhere. Like the doctor's or the dentist...

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Re: The J.R.R. Tolkien Handbook...compiled by Colin Duriez

Postby TomCotton » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:02 pm

What a coincidence, I just ordered that book from Amazon. :yes:

I have a book called The New Tolkien Companion by J.E.A. Tyler that is more than 30 years old and showing its age. Lots of browning from the high acid content of the paper. Some of the entries in that book seem a bit dodgy but for the most part it is an OK quick reference.

I also have Tolkien's World from A to Z: The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth by Robert Foster on order. Can't get enough of stuff about M-e. :help: :D :P ;)
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: The J.R.R. Tolkien Handbook...compiled by Colin Duriez

Postby shireling » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:12 am

Always knew you had excellent taste, Tom :D !

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Return to “Non-Fiction”