Jane Eyre

Any older movies that do not fall into either the Fantasy or Sci-Fi genre can find a home here
Allegra
Mome Rath

Jane Eyre

Postby Allegra » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:08 pm

I was wondering how many people here liked the movie Jane Eyre. I've seen several versions. There was a version in 1948 with Laurence Olivier and a version of it in 1996. It's one of my favorite stories.

Vairë
Crimebuster

Re: Jane Eyre

Postby Vairë » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:08 pm

I do! I have enjoyed the beautiful versions of the Jane Austens and Brontë sisters' novels that have made it to the Big Screen. So far, my favourite Jane Eyre, however, was a tv edition made in 1997 with Ciaran Hinds as Mr. Rochester and Samantha Morton as Jane. The two of them had real chemistry! I understand the young star of Alice in Wonderland, Mia Wasikowska, will be Jane in an upcoming movie. She was lovely in Alice and I'm sure she'll make a very good Jane.
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

annekr
N00b

Postby annekr » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:40 am

This is my second attempt at replying here - I obviously haven't got the hang of the new board! :roll:

I really loved the last version of Jane Eyre that I saw about two years ago. I can't remember the name of the actress who played Jane, but she was wonderful. Toby Stephens, who I always enjoy watching, was a somewhat unlikely Mr Rochester, but he did a creditable job.

My favourite Bronte story is 'Wuthering Heights' but I was extremely disappointed in the last version of that I saw last year. The guy who played Heathcliffe was just awful!

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:44 pm

Hi Anne! Glad you got in finally! I'm a "Wuthering Heights" fan too and, imho, nothing can beat the old one with Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon. Maybe the black & white added to the bleak effect, I don't know, but nothing I've seen since can beat it.
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:20 am

Has anyone seen the new version starring Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender?
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:50 pm

There's a new one? I'd like to see it. My mother had two favorite movies and I try to watch them whenever they're on, "Elephant Walk" with Liz Taylor and Peter Finch, and "Wuthering Heights".

My sister and I used to tease her by yelling "Heathcliff!", "Cathy!" at each other from different parts of the house :lol:.

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:18 pm

shireling wrote:There's a new one? I'd like to see it. My mother had two favorite movies and I try to watch them whenever they're on, "Elephant Walk" with Liz Taylor and Peter Finch, and "Wuthering Heights".

My sister and I used to tease her by yelling "Heathcliff!", "Cathy!" at each other from different parts of the house :lol:.

My fault - A new version of Jane Eyre, that is.

And the 2006 version is due on TV next Thursday and Friday, and I'll make sure to watch it, because I'd like to see Toby Stephens playing the good guy (Rochester) :lol: (he was the only reason to watch "Die another Day", and he made a great slimy politician in "Strike Back", you wanted to kick the smirk out of his face all the time. :lol: :lol: ).

I'm not sure about a new version of Wuthering Heights, but I'm sure it won't be long before a new one comes out. They never get tired of those classics ;)

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Padfoot wrote:My fault - A new version of Jane Eyre, that is.

And the 2006 version is due on TV next Thursday and Friday, and I'll make sure to watch it, because I'd like to see Toby Stephens playing the good guy (Rochester) :lol: (he was the only reason to watch "Die another Day", and he made a great slimy politician in "Strike Back", you wanted to kick the smirk out of his face all the time. :lol: :lol: ).

I'm not sure about a new version of Wuthering Heights, but I'm sure it won't be long before a new one comes out. They never get tired of those classics ;)

Oh, I never get tired of Jane Eyre. I've never read the book, just seen every movie ever made - except this last one.

Btw, there is a new biography out on the Brontes, called The Brontes Wild Genius on the Moors: The Story of a Literary Family by Juliet Barker.

There have been others, but this sounds like a wonderful read - like this author really loved and felt responsible for her research into these folks.

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Sounds interesting!! *is off to Amazon to have a look....*

Return to “Classic Movies”