Pride And Prejudice (and other films of Jane Austin's works)

Any older movies that do not fall into either the Fantasy or Sci-Fi genre can find a home here
PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Pride And Prejudice (and other films of Jane Austin's works)

Postby PatriotBlade » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:11 pm

One of my favorite classical authors (authoress) is Jane Austin. In addition, I've enjoyed many of the film adaptations of her works and about her.

Pride and Prejudice (the newer BBC one with Collin Firth as Mr. Darcy, better than the one with Kiera Knightly)

What are your favorites and why?
Last edited by PatriotBlade on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still UNWRITTEN...

Elizabeth
N00b

Re: Pride And Prejudice (and other films of Jane Austin's Wo

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:37 pm

Jane Austen is awesome. I've read Pride and Prejudice and Emma so far, and would love to see other film adaptations besides the one with KK and the idiotic "Clueless".

I love her work because it's so elegant and real at the same time, even though it happened centuries ago; the way she captured the meaningful emotional connections between people in daily basis activities is very entertaining, and the fact that it's mere human nature that can easily be replicated nowadays (with minor adjustments) is simply amazing.

Niamh Sage
House Elf

Re: Pride And Prejudice (and other films of Jane Austin's wo

Postby Niamh Sage » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:10 am

I love the BBC 'Pride and Prejudice', it makes me go all wibbly. :D It's one of my favourite indulgences. I watched it a lot when my son was a tiny baby and I was feeding him. It's also where I first saw Colin Firth *happy sigh* :D

I think watching them all again (and reading the Austen books for that matter) will have to be my summer entertainment project.

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:24 pm

PatriotBlade wrote:Pride and Prejudice (the newer BBC one with Collin Firth as Mr. Darcy, better than the one with Kiera Knightly)

Agreed, though I will say that Kiera did a very good Elizabeth, even if Mr Darcy wasn't as up to par as I would've liked.

I need to do some reading along these lines - we never did any Austin at school :shock: and since moving across the pond I've been feeling a need to "connect" with the motherland again. I might have to invest in some classics :)
[Under Construction]

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Postby PatriotBlade » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:32 pm

LOL! Another "late bloomer"! I didn't learn to love Austin until just a couple years ago.
Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still UNWRITTEN...

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:16 pm

Oh... now you opened a can of worms here.. Big Jane Austen fan!! And I love the 1995 version of "P & P" I have both BBC versions on DVD (the 1980 and the 1995 edition) - like them both, but I still think the 1995 version is the better one.

I also have "Emma", "Persuasion" and "Sense and Sensibility" on DVD, as well as all of her books and her biography. I keep re-reading them, it's a miracle they've not fallen apart yet.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Postby PatriotBlade » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:41 am

LOL Yay! I loved Sense and Sensability too(the newer BBC), but I have been unable to read all of Emma. I just simply disliked her too much (I live with a chronic medler, so I wasn't keen on reading about one), but after seeing the one with Kate Beckensale, I will eventully try again.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:45 am

:lol: My friend Laurelin says the same about Emma. She insists she's her least favourite character of all :lol:
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

GriffinRider
N00b

Postby GriffinRider » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:10 pm

Despise Emma. Though it makes a rather good movie. Glad to see we all agree on the BBC version of P&P. I have to say as far as Austen movies go my FAV is Northanger Abby. 90's BBC of course. Thrilling. Yet very artistic and disconnected. Most people i share it with don't get it at all... :(
Love S&S with Emma and Kate. oooo and Alen Rickmen....*prrr*
Yes It is good to see Austen Fans so strong :D

locksley
House Elf

Postby locksley » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:20 pm

Agreed, though I will say that Kiera did a very good Elizabeth, even if Mr Darcy wasn't as up to par as I would've liked.

Agreed as well!

I absolutely love 'Sense and Sensibility'. :)
"He walked into mid-autumn, hearing nothing but the winds. One night as he sat before his fire, vaguely feeling the winds urge against his shape, he looked down and saw the starred harp in his hands ..." (Mckillip, The Riddle Master trilogy)

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Postby PatriotBlade » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:56 pm

The Emma I meant was the BBC one with Kate as Emma and Mark Strong as Mr. Knightly. I must admit it's strange to see him play a good guy.

Mingbearer
Mome Rath

Postby Mingbearer » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:09 am

I cannot watch anything other than the 90's BBC version.

Any film that tries to replicate what that six hour version did is pointless (regardless of how good the acting is).

Saying which, Jennifer Ehle is Elizabeth Bennett (and Colin Firth does a pretty good job). The actors that play the other Bennetts are good too (especially the father).

Return to “Classic Movies”