Fantasy books you'd like to see made into movies

From well known to obscure, talk about any Fantasy movies here
Keith
House Elf

Fantasy books you'd like to see made into movies

Postby Keith » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:01 pm

What the title says. Are there any fantasy books you think would make great movies which haven't been adapted (and aren't in the process of being adapted, like A Song of Ice and Fire) yet?

As I mentioned in the Hobbit thread, I hope Guillermo del Toro's planned movie of HP Lovecraft's At The Mountains Of Madness eventually sees the light of day. It would make for a very atmospheric movie if tinkered with a little to add more incident (the original story has a lot of exposition), which would be quite easy if some of the events that occur 'offscreen' in the original are shown.

I'd also like to see some of Michael Moorcock's work make its way to the big screen. An adaptation of his Elric of Melnibone stories has been talked about for a long time, but has yet (as far as I know) to make it to the stage of a finished script etc. Most of his works consist of short stories and relatively short novels linked together into longer stories, making them easier to adapt without ditching a lot of detail.

Finally, I have a secret hankering to see ER Eddison's The Worm Ourobouros filmed, but it's probably too strange and old-fashioned to make its way into the mainstream media to such an extent.

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Re: Fantasy books you'd like to see made into movies

Postby TomCotton » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:00 pm

Maybe The Chronicles of Amber books by Roger Zelazny just to see how bad they would screw that story up. It is a ready made sequel fest too.

I was reading those again a few years ago when it finally dawned on me on how much The Pattern seemed like a Cretan labyrinth with all of the twists and turns and walkers getting close to each other for some fighting.
Attachments
cretan7path Classical.jpg
cretan7path Classical.jpg (22.42 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
Last edited by TomCotton on Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:43 pm

My husband's a fan of Stephen Donaldson, and I know he'd like to see The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever made.

I love Dune and was much happier with the SyFy Channel version than the original movie.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:58 am

I'd like to see Naiomi Novik's His Majesty's Dragon as a movie. Napoleonic wars.. Dragons.. acessable to a wide audience. :)

I only got partway through At the Mountains of Madness due to it being 5 am when i attempted it, and some dingbat had decided to upload it as white text on black. My eyes were like "SCREW THIS NOISE". Lovecraft films would be very cool though.

Has Wizard's First Rule been made? I think it would be awesome, along with some of the Pern books.

I'm sort of hesitant to recommend books i like to be made into movies, they so seldom do a good job :( I was initially excited about the Beowulf movie, as Beowulf is awesome.. but i couldn't even bring myself to go see it :(
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:02 pm

ElviraStarkeeper wrote:I'm sort of hesitant to recommend books i like to be made into movies, they so seldom do a good job :( I was initially excited about the Beowulf movie, as Beowulf is awesome.. but i couldn't even bring myself to go see it :(

Do you mean this last one, Elvira, with the animation, Hopkins and Jolie? It was another 'take' on the story, but what I liked about it was that the sons of the mother appeared to be sired by the spiritual flaws of their fathers. The worst of their personalities are what brought these creatures into being - at least that's what I see. Please, see it; I'd love to know what you think.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:22 pm

shireling wrote:My husband's a fan of Stephen Donaldson, and I know he'd like to see The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever made.

I'd go for that too.

I'd like to a see
Peirs Anthony's On a Pale Horse
Simon Hawke's Time Wars series and Psychodrome

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks shireling, perhaps i will. Yours is the first good review i've heard of it.
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

Keith
House Elf

Postby Keith » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:57 am

ElviraStarkeeper wrote:Has Wizard's First Rule been made? I think it would be awesome, along with some of the Pern books.

There's a TV series, Legend of the Seeker, which is based on Terry Goodkind's books.

The Pern books would be interesting - there's too many to film them all, but you could make a trilogy out of the main parts of the story quite easily.

Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Arwen#1 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:47 pm

I would love to see the Forgotten Realm or Dragonlance books turned into movies, though I'm afraid they'd be bad :(
"We're all a little crazy, just some of us are better at hiding it."

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:42 am

I think I would like to see A Harpy's Tale *super furious blushing*

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Postby PatriotBlade » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:33 pm

I would like to see the Earthsea books redone properly. The si-fi channel mini-series was aweful!
Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still UNWRITTEN...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:32 pm

PatriotBlade wrote:I would like to see the Earthsea books redone properly. The si-fi channel mini-series was aweful!

Hey you! :glomp: Glad to see you!

It's been ages since I read those. I didn't know there was a mini-series.

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Postby PatriotBlade » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:00 am

Good to see you too! I think I'm simi-back.

If you really want to see it, I'd be happy to mail it to you for you to borrow. Just don't hold it up in comparison to the books or you'll hate it. If you watch it as a fantasy story, it's fine, but I can barely see any resemblance to Mrs. LeGuine's world.
Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still UNWRITTEN...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks, PB, but I think I'll pass :) .

It's so good to see your pretty avatar again! :hug:

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Postby PatriotBlade » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:13 am

That's funny! I picked that avatar because I thought it looked sad and I was depressed at the time.

Return to “Fantasy Movies”