The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 1st Trailer

From well known to obscure, talk about any Fantasy movies here
Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 1st Trailer

Postby Arwen#1 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:36 pm

I loved it. Padfoot, I honestly thought for a long time all the extra chin fat was supposed to be a beard on the goblin king. I'll have to go through the book again, but I'm pretty sure there was also no necromancer in the book. I'm wondering if he's going to be in the next movie as well.
"We're all a little crazy, just some of us are better at hiding it."

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:58 pm

The necromancer is mentioned in passing as Gandalf explains where he has been at the end.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:23 am

I loved it too! I've seen it twice now, regular 3D and the HFR 3D, and want to see the 2D version because, like many of us here, I am not a huge fan of 3D, HFR or otherwise. In fact, the HFR, while crystal clear and magnificent for outdoor scenes, was not to my liking at all in the scenes in Bag End. It came across as a televised live play somehow and the "real" feel was lost imho. I need to see it once more because, while I've had my eyes peeled, I missed PJ's cameo! Apparently he appears as a Dwarf running away from Smaug at the beginning. I figured he might and was watching them closely, but not closely enough.

I looked up Azog too and he was killed 140 years prior to this story, I understand. I guess PJ needed another threat to be trailing the party of Dwarves and Hobbit for more tension?

Anyway, just wanted to briefly add my cheers to being completely thrilled with this movie, as I expected I would. Purists won't be happy, but for a very entertaining almost-3 hours, I loved every minute!
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:03 pm

Anyway, just wanted to briefly add my cheers to being completely thrilled with this movie, as I expected I would. Purists won't be happy, but for a very entertaining almost-3 hours, I loved every minute!

So did I. :) I didn't get to see the 2D version while visiting Laurelin, because the Original Version only runs in 3D, so we decided not to go and watch again. I'm checking out cinemas nearby, there might be one showing the German 2D version, so that's going to be it, then. Or I wait for the DVD to come out, but that'll be some time... *sigh*
Last edited by Padfoot on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:59 pm

:bday: HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! :bday:
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:22 pm

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:13 am

Ditto :lol:

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:29 am

My hubby and I went to see it yesterday. My thoughts:

It's a visual feast, with lovingly-rendered landscapes and rich snippets of life in Middle-Earth. The scenes with Gandalf and Bilbo are great fun and all the dwarves are given a chance to make their mark. The transition of Bilbo from comfort-loving homebody to warrior Hobbit is believable and Martin Freeman is fantastic in the role. His scene with Gollum is terrific fun and the two actors work well with each other.

The creatures are very well rendered. Jackson went to a lot of trouble to individualise them and although Azog doesn't belong in the narrative the way he's portrayed, he makes an excellent menace. The warg-riders should have been incidental — bandits on the road — but here they're an ongoing threat, adding tension to the movie. Barry Humphries is brilliant as The Great Goblin, a loathsome diseased figure steeped in cruelty and cunning malice. Great casting, there. It was also stomach-churningly horrible to see the giant spiders on their way into Mirkwood.

References to LOTR abound. Jackson lays it on thick here, with the "getting the band back together" vibe being milked for all it's worth. That said, Elrond looked better than I thought he would and it was nice to see the implication that when he's not being Doctor Nerd, he's kicking A. The part where they return from their "hunting" trip and the byplay with the Dwarves is reminiscent of a certain scene from TTT. Jackson adds little tics like this throughout the film to tie it to LOTR.

Departing from the source material is par for the course in adaptations. The Hobbit is no different. I noticed the departures because I've read the book but they weren't too jarring. Radagast was fun and frivolous but as with all the comic relief characters he's got a core of steel and his strength is revealed under stress.

The fight scenes, if anything, were a bit too choreographed to me. There's no real sense that the Dwarves are in danger, they're just made uncomfortable from time to time. Mind you, they're pretty tough. The set piece towards the end was a bit silly but Bilbo got a chance to shine and prove himself. As a race of warriors and princes you'd expect more in the way of table manners. They're rough and ready, friendly enough but I wouldn't let them in the house!

The explanation of why they don't get on with the Elves is plausible but I daresay Jackson thought it was a bit too early to get started on the Silmarillion.

Well the stage has been set for the next installment, which promises to be just as long. Those of us who have read the book know they've got to meet Beorn, part with Gandalf, go through the creepy forest, encounter the spiders and fall foul of the Elves. Okay, what about the "meanwhile..." parts? Jackson will probably get the old gang back together for that. Will we see more Mirkwood Elf action? More backstory? Watch this space...

Overall, I liked the film and would recommend it as long as you're not too keen on purity and sticking to the source material.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:32 pm

Absolutely the best review I've read to date!

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:13 pm

Aw, shucks! I can't wait for the next installment. Can't wait. Can't wait...!

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:28 pm

Me neither. My oldest niece asked me if I would go and watch it again with her. Of course I will, although she opts for the 3D version. So, I guess I'll have to put the glasses on once again. :redeyeroll: :lol:

Candy, did you watch it in 2D or 3D?

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:09 pm

Excellent review, Candy, and I agree 100% with all observations!

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:23 pm

I watched it in 2D. 3D effects distract from the film itself because the effects are overwhelming. I think I got the standard RPM as there was no jarring or hyper-real sensation while watching the film, which meant I got to watch the film, not be constantly reminded of the special effects.

Excellent review, Candy, and I agree 100% with all observations!

Thanks, Vairë.

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:04 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing it in 2D myself. Being way more familiar with that, I think I'll enjoy it more. As you say, the effects can be overwhelming! I didn't care for the scenes in Bag End in 3D and want to see them "normal". Maybe it'll feel more like I'm really watching the goings-on in Bag End and not in a sound studio.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:57 pm

THAT's why I'm not so keen on 3D. That works best for "obviously fake" films like the Pixar ones. It doesn't jar then.

Return to “Fantasy Movies”