The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 1st Trailer

From well known to obscure, talk about any Fantasy movies here
Vairë
Crimebuster

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 1st Trailer

Postby Vairë » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:20 am

Excellent observation, Candy! That's exactly it!
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:34 am

I got to watch the film, not be constantly reminded of the special effects.

I agree, that's why I'd like to see the film in 2D. Lean back, relax and actually watch the movie, not the effects.
Last edited by Padfoot on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Padfoot wrote:...I agree, that's why I'd like to see the film in 2D. Lean back, relax and actually watch the movie, not the effects.

:yes: That's how I feel too!

I'm wondering, from what the rest of you have said, how you all feel about theatre performances where the cast is virtually, and at times, literally, in your lap? It makes me very uncomfortable, and if I'd known that this one performance of A Christmas Carol meant that I was going to have to tuck up my feet so that the Ghost of Christmas Future wouldn't trip over them, I'd rather not.

I didn't know until I was already there (I went with a bunch from my book club who had bought the tickets), but now that I know how this particular troupe works, I pass on their stuff - unless I'm going to be in the loft.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:37 pm

It depends on how it's done. In a big theatre it's less likely to happen. In a small local one, anything can happen.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:07 pm

I have not yet come across something like it, but I'm not sure whether I would like that at all.

When I go to performances (cabaret, magic or something like it) I usually duck when at some point someone asks for a volunteer... :paperbag:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:25 pm

Padfoot wrote:I have not yet come across something like it, but I'm not sure whether I would like that at all.

When I go to performances (cabaret, magic or something like it) I usually duck when at some point someone asks for a volunteer... :paperbag:

:lmao: You don't want to be sawed in half?

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:02 am

No. :lmao: Nor do I want to disappear or put into a water tank... :lmao:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:27 pm

I once volunteered to be used in place of a CPR dummy...won't do that again.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:24 pm

I can understand...

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:04 pm

Well I finally saw it. It took admittedly quite a long time! I suppose I had a expectation it wouldn't be my cup of tea. It wasn't :-(. The much maligned opening 45 minutes was brilliant but the rest apart from the odd scene was pretty poor. The shire, the trolls, the snippets of smaug and Gollum impressed. Martin freeman was very good but Ian mckellen is turning into a frightful old ham! The dwarves did a solid job. Radagast, azog who should have been bolg and the goblin king were very average. Worst of all is Jackson's tinkering with plot and jarring tendency to intersperse novel dialogue with his own often within a single sentence. The lonely mountain looked very cool though and the costume design wad impressive.
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:11 pm

Oh and the worst bit? The stone giants. What a crock! Could have saved 10 mins there! :-D
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:52 pm

Your points are well-taken...btw, it's so good so see you! :D !

I don't remember the Rock Creatures :? . Either I just skipped over them or ...I just skipped over them, because I don't remember them at all. All the things that work for me, the stuff that I love, I find that you do too.

I enjoyed the movie and I'm looking forward to the "Desolation of Smaug", but this isn't grabbing me like LOTR did. I'm not going to buy the DVDs or the music; I've seen it once and that I don't feel as though I need to see it more than that, is surprising to me (I'm the same with Harry Potter - saw all the films once in the theater - though if they're on TV, I might tune in - read two of the books, and don't own a single copy of anything HP.)

The only things I disagree with you about is Ian McKellen, (I see Gandalf very like the way he was played in this (except for those times when he was meeting with any of the members of the White Council - didn't have any particular ideas on that), and Radagast, of whom I've always been very fond.

I am wondering, though, if anything that anybody's said since "Journey" came out, is going to impact on "Desolation". Will we find out later, that some changes were made that might not have been, if there hadn't been certain things said?

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:04 am

I enjoyed the movie and I'm looking forward to the "Desolation of Smaug", but this isn't grabbing me like LOTR did.

I have to agree with that. Although, I'm going to buy the DVD... :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:37 pm

If there's extended DVDs, I might buy them. I'm a pushover for those :D .

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:17 pm

shireling wrote:If there's extended DVDs, I might buy them. I'm a pushover for those :D .

Ditto. :/
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

Return to “Fantasy Movies”