Postby Padfoot » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:59 am

Me, three... :D ;)
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 1st Trailer

Postby shireling » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:55 pm

Has anybody spotted PJ's cameo?

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:01 pm

Not really. Will do when I get the DVD. :D

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:19 pm

No, where was it?
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:07 pm

We won't know for another week at least...

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:16 am

Have any of you seen this? If Bilbo had a lawyer, we probably wouldn't have story :lol: :

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:56 pm

Great stuff! Of course, it could have been a lot of fun if Bilbo had gone to arbitration over some of the terms. All disputes to be dealt with in Dwarvish using an arbitrator of the Dwarves' choosing? I'd have called that out as unfair. Dwarves didn't make it easy to learn their language.

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:46 pm

Greetings, all! I've enjoyed reading your thoughts about the movie.

I finally got to see it the last week of January - I was on a business trip to train up some new buyers at our sister plant, and discovered that one of the buyers was a Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Superhero geek. She asked if I'd seen The Hobbit yet, and upon hearing that, "No, not yet," we made a date to go see the movie together the next evening after work.
We had the entire theater to ourselves, so we really whooped it up! It was marvelous to watch it with a fellow fan that wasn't family. :D

So - my thoughts:

I loved the beginning with Bilbo and Frodo, just before the staging of the Long Expected Party. It was such a real and touching exchange between them.

The flashback to Bilbo blowing smoke rings and his encounter with Gandalf was spot on. Martin Freeman's interpretation of Bilbo was fantastic! And Ian McKellen's Gandalf was well played; he was a more light-hearted character which lent credibility to his being younger in age, and also less burdened by events.

The Unexpected Party was just brilliant. I wasn't put off by the Dwarves' bad manners - here are certainly old friends and family members who hadn't met together in fellowship as a group in a long time... and the 'party' got a little rambunctious.

Heck, last night my hubby and I with my younger daughter (age 17) went out for dinner at a pizza restaurant, and we started up an impromptu belching contest. The goal was to produce the 'quietest' obnoxious belch as possible. :D

No, the Dwarves were not wearing their colorful, detachable party hoods, nor did I expect that they would- and I didn't miss that detail. These were folks in exile, or nomadic. Why would they have had party duds?

The day after the party, when Bilbo awoke to an empty home.... at first thought I asked myself what would it have hurt to have it happen as in the book where Gandalf comes in to find Bilbo at breakfast (or was it 2nd breakfast?) and points out the letter left for him on the mantle, then urging him quickly out the door to meet up with the Company.

"But...." said Bilbo.
"No time for that!" replies Gandalf.
"But!!..." exclaims Bilbo a bit more forcefully.
"No time for that, either!" Gandalf exclaims preemptively.

While that would have been pleasing, on second thought I think it was good to see Bilbo come to the realization himself, that he needed to catch up to the Company.
We see the full range of emotion on Bilbo's face, expertly executed by Martin Freeman, of first confusion: Was that all just a dream I had?
To comprehension and relief: Ah, well they at least cleaned up after themselves, and good riddance!
To quiet contemplation when he sees the contract left on the table: Hmmm... did they really want me as their Burglar?
To the snap decision: Wait for me, I'm coming!!!!!!!
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:04 pm

I'm glad you liked it, Ms B!! :)

:lol: reading the contract analysis... :lol: If Bilbo had a lawyer at hand, he would have missed the adventure of a lifetime, and we wouldn't have a story at all. :lol: :lol:

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:38 pm

Hi Paddy! :)
Yes, the contract analysis was interesting. Leave it to lawyers to find the loop holes. :D
I have to add here that I think PJ did a great job characterizing the Dwarves. There are 13 of them to remember, and it is easy to forget names (for non-book readers, not us who have that all memorized, LOL!) and to tell one from another so PJ did well to give them each their own characteristics and personalities.

Further movie analysis from me:

The Troll encounter:
I'm not sure... something seemed to be missing. Maybe we didn't get a good sense of Bert, Tom, and Bill.
They changed Bilbo's motive for sneaking up on them from pick-pocketing to lifting the knife so as to free the trapped ponies.
Maybe PJ didn't want to have Bilbo appear to be utterly stupid.... and yet that scene in the book shows what an utter "babe in the woods" Bilbo really is to think that 1) he needs to prove to the Dwarves that he IS a Burglar and 2) that it WAS really dumb to try to pick the Troll's pocket.
Instead, Bilbo seems to be a fast, logical thinker; and quiet enough to be able to sneak up behind the Troll and go for the knife.
I am guessing that PJ didn't want Bilbo to be an inept bungler for the entire first movie, so gave him a modicum of 'street smarts' from which to grow into a more useful member of the Company later on.

Radaghast the Brown: I absolutely adored him!!! Tolkien didn't have too much to say about this character, which gave PJ free reign to embellish, and I think what he came up with was brilliant! A lover of animals, indeed; a bit of a recluse, certainly! But underneath the eccentricities we have a very capable Wizard!
The bird nest on the head, and the rabbit sled were over the top yet much needed whimsy, I think, in a story that quickly gets dark right after the Unexpected Party.
Raddy may have been strange, but he wasn't barking mad. He had courage to go check out what was happening at Dol Guldur, and held his own against the Witch King/Necromancer.
And the incident in his hut with the large spiders was nice foreshadowing.

Azog chasing the Dwarves: OK, I had trouble with this. We know this does not happen in the book, and the timeline is wrong for it. Having said that, Tolkien does hint at "dark forces or evil creatures" being interested in the Dwarves' journey. It was a subtle thing that PJ took and made into a tangible threat. And it makes sense to do this for a movie venue rather than having Dwarves on and Adventure and along the way they encounter strange beings and weird situations..... if PJ left it at that, we'd have had another Alice in Wonderland story.
So I've made peace with the Azog plot - but my remaining gripe is that he is a CGI character and I would have preferred a live actor in costume and prosthetics. The scenes with the CGI orcs felt more like LOTR Online, and I didn't care for it.
Maybe that is what was missing from the Troll encounter....I don't know.

Rivendell: well done. Elrond is just not King of the Elves (as it were) but rides out to battle with the orcs. Galadriel: Cate is still able to portray that ethereal/other-worldliness that makes us all both admire her beauty and cower at her veiled power.
Saruman: what a know-it-all blowhard, LOL! But we knew this. Gandalf: at this point we see that he has friends in high places and does not just hang out with Hobbits and Dwarves. It seems that there is a lot more going on with Gandalf than what we've seen until now. ;)
I am glad that the Dwarves were a bit prickly with the Elves....
"What is this stuff? Where is the meat?!"
... and that they beat a hasty and stealthy retreat out of Rivendell. It sets the tone quickly that Dwarves have no truck with Elves if they can help it, and why.

At this point, I should say that PJ did a GREAT job with showing us Erebor back in the day of the Dwarves' height of prosperity and the respect showed them by other peoples. PJ gave us a marvelous back story for the Dwarves, and I loved all of the costumes and scenery of their halls which does justice to their skill and might.

The Stone Giants: it was pretty cool, and Tolkien did mention the possibility. This can turn into the same argument as the Balrog wings... did it have real wings? And so the stone giants... did they really exist, or were they a legend made up by mountain folk to explain why the thunder crashes so loud around them? I didn't have a problem with PJ making them real and the Dwarves being caught up in one of their battles.

The Goblin Cave: brilliant and awesome! Similar gripe about the Goblin King that I had with Azog.... why CGI?

The Riddle Game: this was what I've waited to see, and PJ did not disappoint! Andy and Martin were fabulous and did everything absolutely right and perfectly as well. The motion capture/CGI of Gollum was incredible.... the detail of his facial expressions, surely captured from Andy Serkis and digitized, but the detail of Gollum's body from the texture and imperfections of his skin, to the strands of hair on his head, to the movement of muscle underneath the skin- all was just amazing, and it made Gollum appear as a real creature. And I can't say enough about Andy, who understands the mind of Gollum/Smeagol and lends him such depth.
— Worf

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:48 pm

The rest of the story how Bilbo escapes is OK, including that scene where he was going to slay Gollum, although I think his decision to spare Gollum at that point was diluted by that one sentence from Gandalf earlier in the troll cave where they find Sting: "True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."
I don't think they should have had Gandalf say this - it takes away from Bilbo's character that he came to that thought on his own.

In all - I think the movie was very well done, was entertaining, and I can't wait to see the next installment.

Do we know what is going to comprise the 2nd movie?
Battle of Dol Guldur?
The Company travels through Mirkwood?
What else could be in there?
— Worf

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Beorn will have to be in there. They stop off at his house before going through the woods. Apparently Bilbo meets the dragon at the end of this installment, but don't hold me to that. I'm guessing from what I've seen in the media.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:28 pm

MsBrandybuck wrote:The rest of the story how Bilbo escapes is OK, including that scene where he was going to slay Gollum, although I think his decision to spare Gollum at that point was diluted by that one sentence from Gandalf earlier in the troll cave where they find Sting: "True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."
I don't think they should have had Gandalf say this - it takes away from Bilbo's character that he came to that thought on his own.

In all - I think the movie was very well done, was entertaining, and I can't wait to see the next installment.

Do we know what is going to comprise the 2nd movie?
Battle of Dol Guldur?
The Company travels through Mirkwood?
What else could be in there?

Your commentary's making me want to go and give it another look. I've only seen it once, and that was in the first week :paperbag: .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:06 am

Code: Select all

Your commentary's making me want to go and give it another look. I've only seen it once, and that was in the first week

Me, too. And now I'm waiting for the DVD to arrive... :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:17 pm

Today's the day! And I saw Martin Freeman on a rerun of "The Graham Norton Show" this morning, dated 12/14/12.

Return to “Fantasy Movies”