The Desolation of Smaug... Pictures, trailers etc...

From well known to obscure, talk about any Fantasy movies here

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Re: The Desolation of Smaug... Pictures, trailers etc...

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Here's an article I totally disagree with, concerning most of the "mis-castings"!

Simon Gallagher is an idiot. The casting was perfect, end of!
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:30 pm

Candy Kane wrote:
Here's an article I totally disagree with, concerning most of the "mis-castings"!

Simon Gallagher is an idiot. The casting was perfect, end of!

Couldn't agree more, Candy :) .

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:20 pm

Richard Armitage is an excellent actor, and very much his own character. He was actually more true to the book than Viggo was. Aragorn was not meant to be a reluctant king, he was supposed to be driven in order to win the hand of his lady.

Thorin's expression as he hammered the iron at the forge perfectly captured the sense of a prince brought low. He's got a lot of screen presence and a flick of the eye or twitch of the corner of his mouth conveys as much meaning as any words.

Saruman, etc., didn't look that much older. Elrond was certainly more lively. There was a hint of humour and hijinks, and I daresay he likes to get out and stretch once in a while. He's certainly less dour than he was in LOTR. His interactions with Gandalf reveal a long and rather colourful friendship, as if he's resigned to Gandalf showing up with strangers in tow every once in a while.

The cast list for Desolation shows that they're not going to end it in the Elvish prison at Mirkwood. I thought they'd have drawn that out more. The Battle of Five Armies can't be in Desolation, though. What about the third film?

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:54 am

Richard Armitage is an excellent actor, and very much his own character.

Thank you, Candy. I couldn't agree more. ;) This guy really pissed me off (sorry for the language).

Seriously, I don't understand all this comparisons between Richard's and Viggo's characters (and the actors themselves). Thorin and Aragorn are two totally different characters (OK, one thing they have in common is their respecive lost kingdom - but their motives are different, aren't they?), so what's to compare there? And Richard and Viggo are two totally different personalities as well (although I think, if brought together, these two would hit it off together quite well), and I don't think that one actor is lesser than the other. Both of them are quite excellent. They're just different, and that's OK.

Enough ranting for today... ;)

I think there's quite a lot to expect from Richard, considering Thorin's going to crack up more or less, once he's got a hold of the treasure, and his obsession with the Arkenstone gets worse (he's getting the "sickness of the dragon", as Tolkien puts it). He's quite good at playing such characters :lol:

The cast list for Desolation shows that they're not going to end it in the Elvish prison at Mirkwood. I thought they'd have drawn that out more. The Battle of Five Armies can't be in Desolation, though. What about the third film?

I think the second movie might end at Laketown, or when the Dwarves arrive at the Lonely Mountain, searching and finding the hidden entrance (considering the side-story with Gandalf fighting the Necromancer etc., which will probably be told in Desolation as well). The Battle will certainly be (a kind of climax) in the last movie. It has to be in the last movie, because after the great battle, very much the only thing happening is practically Bilbo's returning to the Shire...
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:23 pm

Well that's what I'm saying, unless they fast-forward to the Scouring of The Shire, where Saruman gets what's coming to him. 'Nuff people were unhappy to see that left out of LOTR.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Candy Kane wrote:Well that's what I'm saying, unless they fast-forward to the Scouring of The Shire, where Saruman gets what's coming to him. 'Nuff people were unhappy to see that left out of LOTR.

Oh, I was...still am! The one consolation I have is whenever I read that chapter, the actors voices are what I hear, so there's some continuity in it for me.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:03 pm

I missed that too. I would have loved to see Grima, Saruman and the Sackville-Baggins-Family get what they deserve. :evil:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:30 pm

Well, even I felt sorry for Lobelia at the end (she came out very skinny for a hobbit), but no such sympathy for Grima or Saruman. Frodo was very gracious, I'd expect nothing less from him, but I don't think I'd have cut them any slack.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:41 pm

Well Lobelia changed her ways. The others didn't. One thing I'll never understand was the willingness to let some people get away with all sorts of nasty stuff because they were of high rank. A crime is a crime, there should be one rule for all. PLUS letting the bad guys get away just means they'll be lurking round a corner waiting to get you later on. It seems dangerously naive, considering the consequences.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:04 am

One thing I'll never understand was the willingness to let some people get away with all sorts of nasty stuff because they were of high rank.

Just like in real life... ;)

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:09 am

Sigh. You're right, of course.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:04 am

Yeah, I wish I weren't.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:24 pm

:hug: :)

Return to “Fantasy Movies”