The Desolation of Smaug... Pictures, trailers etc...

From well known to obscure, talk about any Fantasy movies here
Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Re: The Desolation of Smaug... Pictures, trailers etc...

Postby Padfoot » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:03 pm

NICE!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:21 pm

I saw DoS a couple of weeks ago.... and I hate to say this, but WTH was that?!??!!

I am not a rabid Tolkien fan, and have supported Peter Jackson's vision throughout - and was ready to do so again even after learning that The Hobbit would be a trilogy - but DoS seemed to be just TOO FAR removed from the storyline.
It wasn't about Bilbo anymore.
It was about Legolas, Tauriel and the Orc fight.

I was extremely disappointed. :(
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:04 pm

MsBrandybuck wrote:...I am not a rabid Tolkien fan, and have supported Peter Jackson's vision throughout - and was ready to do so again even after learning that The Hobbit would be a trilogy - but DoS seemed to be just TOO FAR removed from the storyline.
It wasn't about Bilbo anymore.
It was about Legolas, Tauriel and the Orc fight.

I was extremely disappointed. :(

You're right, it was that. I really think that PJ resented the pushback against having Arwen at Helms Deep, and I think he did so much, that he was going to have his say here, and damn anybody who disagrees. Btw, does anybody know if that whole thing was deliberately leaked? I can remember seeing clips of Liv Tyler fighting alongside Viggo after it came out.

But, for me - and I am a rabid fan (God help me :lol:) - the saving graces are those parts where the characters do hold true. Martin Freeman's portrayal is an absolute joy, and so is Cumberbatch's Smaug. I like the expanded part of Radagast, whom I never felt got his due in the book. This was someone, after all, who had his finger on the pulse of MiddleEarth - the canary in the coal mine, so to speak - and Gandalf was the only one who took him seriously. Also, Bard's back story was most welcome (though I cringed at what his children and home were put through; I also cringed at the dwarves escape from Thranduil's dungeons :roll: .)

Most fans of the book were taken aback - and I'm one, because this isn't just a matter of dropping characters, like Glorfindel or Bombadil in LOTR (which, in retrospect, made sense), and, not to mention Beorn being reduced to a smidge more than a cameo, imho, in this. It is a re-interpretation of the material, that I'm not comfortable with either. But, I can't fault the casting and when the actors are permitted, it's those moments, as few and rare as they are, speaking Tolkien's actual words, that I love. It's because of the book, that I wanted to see the film, why we all wanted to see it, and this isn't the first time I've been disappointed (right now, I've got the director's cut of DUNE on my DVR; there are three total versions of this film out there, and it may take David Lynch dying in order to get something cobbled together that keeps me from screaming!)

Still, I can't wait for this last bit coming in December. Just call it a weakness :roll: . Btw...

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE YOUR HOBBIT? - from Soup von DerOrwischer

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:18 pm

Haven't watched this because I feared the worst... Saw the first half hour tonight as it is now on Netflix. Worst film ever. Beorn and Mirkwood were awful. Truly awful. What a crying shame. To paraphrase Gandalf in the Chamber of Marzabul... I feared it was so and like Gimli I'm casting my hood over my face. Jackson you have made a load of rubbish. Shame on you.
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:32 pm

Grrrrr. Back again because I was so angry I missed properly stating how bad Mirkwood was (Beorn was bloody piss poor too...) and why I stopped watching before I even got to this Tuariel shite. Who having read the book thought Mirkwood looked anything like what was so crappily realised and frankly Christmas tree lit up as Jackson seems to think? It's meant to be dark, dark, dark and darky dark and scary - the wood in Snow White made in 1938 as a cartoon is more scary!!! Absolute effing rubbish.
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:37 pm

Yep, the Tuariel (or Tooleygirl as I call her) shite, shield surfing Legolas again :roll:, dwarves in open barrels and the whack-a-mole(dwarf) river chase scene :roll:, ninja orcs in Lake-town :roll: :wtf:, Bard the smuggler :roll: . Well, actually, just about everything in that !#$@&! movie.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:10 am

You know I did buy the DVD, but I couldn't made myself re-watch it .. yet...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:00 am

*tried hard to give PB benefit of the doubt - per previous post - but yeah, confess having come to hate TH:1 & 2 as much as SW:1-3*

...and yet I wish I could see the third film along with you guys so that we could all be screaming together...

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:10 am

Ditto...
it actually makes me really sad, because the actors are classy. But.... :/

On the other hand, we had our hopes set so high, wasn't PJ supposed to fail anyway? :shruggy:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:25 pm

Padfoot wrote:Ditto...
it actually makes me really sad, because the actors are classy. But.... :/

On the other hand, we had our hopes set so high, wasn't PJ supposed to fail anyway? :shruggy:

I don't think so. I really loved his LOTR, I still do and don't see a time when I won't. And it wasn't until I saw the artificial lengthening of Hobbit that I began to worry. But, knowing how much he and the whole team loved the Don and his works, what could possibly go wrong? *insane giggle/hiccup*

He has a brilliant cast, absolutely, but they are given very little to do. The few times that they are allowed to shine - and you recognize them, they stand out - are not enough. Cumberbatch is fantastic, and that whole bit in Erebor with Freeman is the best thing in my book. But... :bang: :comp: :help:

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:24 am

He has a brilliant cast, absolutely, but they are given very little to do. The few times that they are allowed to shine - and you recognize them, they stand out - are not enough. Cumberbatch is fantastic, and that whole bit in Erebor with Freeman is the best thing in my book. But... :bang: :comp: :help:

Agreed...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:56 pm

I was looking for something else when I found this...

http://www.hypable.com/2013/12/23/hobbi ... c-problem/

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:06 pm

Interesting blog. The discussion has some interesting points too.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:08 pm

This is what brought me to tears (in italics):

"The additions to the storyline that worked did so because they enhanced that bare-bones story and the characters. For instance, in the scene where Bilbo viciously attacks the spider, and then realizes that he did it for the Ring, he is horrified and rightly so. It is a wonderful wordless moment that shows much about his character.

We also get a longer interrogation scene between Thranduil and Thorin than in the books. The dialogue and acting was great, and it exposed us more to Thranduil, who becomes very important during the Battle of the Five Armies.

Unfortunately, the effect (and cause) of this inconsistency of added material was an inherent marginalization of (what should have been) the movie’s basic plotline..."

I'm with you, Tom. Some of these responses are just so gold!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:01 am

I just thought this belongs here:

Reposted fromenidkapelsen enidkapelsen viaw4eg w4eg

Return to “Fantasy Movies”