The Desolation of Smaug... Pictures, trailers etc...

From well known to obscure, talk about any Fantasy movies here
Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Re: The Desolation of Smaug... Pictures, trailers etc...

Postby Padfoot » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:07 pm

So how did you like it?
I will have to wait. No 2D Version available where I Live, I'm still undecided about 3D, Not too keen about it.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:59 pm

I'm having a hard time talking about it, Paddy...

I don't know if I even liked it. There are parts that were dear, because I loved them from the book; I want so much to love it - but there's so much straying from the actual material and there's all that added filler, that it's more like sitting next to an extremely skilled gamer, than watching a movie based on a deeply treasured story.

Too much time was given to a character that doesn't exist on the pages (I'll let you guess who that is), and too little to one of the best known, even though a lot of work went into portraying their home (hint: likes to wear fur, and keeps goats as servants.)

Now, when they are allowed to, it's a joy to see the actors grow their characters (one of PJ's chief complaints was that he had to sacrifice character development in LOTR, for the theatre version, but then he was able to redeem some of that in the EXDVDs.)

We did see it in 2D, and I hope you can find it out your way. I'm not sorry we saw it, but I wish it could have been finished with this film.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:58 am

What you say echoes what a friend of mine told me. She lives in Stuttgart and she was able to watch in in 2D as well.
She very much said the same about it as you did. So ots of Tauriel and sacrificing Beorn instead? Hmmm. Not to my liking.

How was Smaug, though?

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:11 pm

Oh, Smaug/Benedict Cumberbatch was amazing!!!!! Just incredible. And Martin Freeman/Bilbo's interaction with him was just what I hoped for :) .

Oh, I should mention that Bard is given his due, and then some. There's a wonderful backstory, included for him, in this. So, ahhhhhhhh...what do you do? There's great stuff, but...you know? Some of it makes me want to scream, and not in a good way.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:13 pm

Azog Motion Capture :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:13 am

Image One of a kind art dolls, repainted Ken and Barbie to resemble Bard and Tauriel. Pretty good.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:38 pm

I've just come home from the theatre. I like it quite well. :) Smaug was fantastic, so were Bilbo and Thorin. Beorn got too little screen time and the character of the Master of Laketown barely scratched its surface. But I liked Bard a lot, I'm looking forward to see more of him. And though I'm not the biggest supporter of the Legolas-Tauriel-Kili triangle, oddly enough, to me it neither seemed involuntarily comical nor out o place, so I can live with it. :D :)

I missed the sleeping Bombur and the Dwarves carrying him through the woods, though...

In general I think it was ia good idea to include the Story of the Necromancer/Sauron, to explain where Gandalf went. In the book he disappears and reappears on the Eve of the battle, without much of an explanation

Generally, I liked the quieter moments of the movie, when the characters were given a bit of time to show what's beneath the surface (in Thranduil's case quite literally).

All in all I say it was well done, with a few minor complaints. :D Now the DVD may be released soon, I can look forward to it.

Did anyone else think that there's a certain resemblance between Orlando Bloom and Luke Evans?? :D :paperbag: :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:47 pm

Padfoot wrote:I missed the sleeping Bombur and the Dwarves carrying him through the woods, though...

Oh, geeze! I forgot all about that :lol: !

In general I think it was idea good idea to include the Story of the Necromancer/Sauron, to explain where Gandalf went. In the book he disappears and reappears on the Eve of the battle, without much of an explanation.

Generally, I liked the quieter moments of the movie, when the characters were given a bit of time to show what's beneath the surface (in Thranduil's case quite literally).

All in all I say it was well done, with a few minor complaints. :D Now the DVD may be released soon, I can look forward to it.

Did anyone else think that there's a certain resemblance between Orlando Bloom and Luke Evans?? :D :paperbag: :D

I do. They look like brothers to me :) .

resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

Postby resoundingjoy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:50 pm

I was just listening to the DoS soundtrack and Tauriel's theme caught my ear -- you can hear it in "Feast of Starlight" and "Kingsfoil" -- it really makes me think of one of the instrumental pieces from the animated Lion King soundtrack!

I thought the Tauriel/Kili interaction was interesting because it does portray a sort of minority interracial relationship, though of course at this point it's not quite the age of men. I just like the idea of two non-human characters being able to explore the idea of romance (wow, this reads a lot weirder than it did in my head). I think the idea I'm trying to get to is that you still don't see a lot of interracial romance without one member of the majority race being half of the couple.

... and I still wish Smaug had four legs. Heck, even the Balrog got four legs and wings! I keep trying to tell myself that they modeled Smaug on the shape of a bat which almost works when he's thrashing around inside the mountain, but when I see him running out of Erebor covered in gold I keep thinking of a chicken flapping around the barnyard. I do love the shot of him spiraling up into the sky though.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:25 pm

resoundingjoy wrote:I was just listening to the DoS soundtrack and Tauriel's theme caught my ear -- you can hear it in "Feast of Starlight" and "Kingsfoil" -- it really makes me think of one of the instrumental pieces from the animated Lion King soundtrack!

I thought the Tauriel/Kili interaction was interesting because it does portray a sort of minority interracial relationship, though of course at this point it's not quite the age of men. I just like the idea of two non-human characters being able to explore the idea of romance (wow, this reads a lot weirder than it did in my head). I think the idea I'm trying to get to is that you still don't see a lot of interracial romance without one member of the majority race being half of the couple.

Yeah, I hadn't thought of it that way :) , but you're right and, no, it's not weird at all (methinks, such wisdom should sport italics :D .) It's a step beyond what I think Tolkien would have considered, though he came up with two Elf/human couples; I wrote a poem/song, it's in here somewhere, about an Elf/Halfling match - I'll bet there's fanfics galore out there, with all variety of couples.

I don't think the Professor would have liked the Ninja Elf Maiden, but what do I know? In Narnia, C.S. Lewis had Father Christmas give Susan and Lucy weapons, to be used "in great need", and topped that off with,"battles are ugly when women fight." I don't think Tolkien had all that different a frame of mind, and Eowyn is an exception to the rule (imho, he really was very fond of MacBeth, don't you think? You've got the walking forest, and a play on the words no man (of woman born...) I always liked that, when Eowyn and Merry do in the Witch King - oh, and Merry wasn't a 'man' either :/ .

... and I still wish Smaug had four legs. Heck, even the Balrog got four legs and wings! I keep trying to tell myself that they modeled Smaug on the shape of a bat which almost works when he's thrashing around inside the mountain, but when I see him running out of Erebor covered in gold I keep thinking of a chicken flapping around the barnyard. I do love the shot of him spiraling up into the sky though.

I agree, but it's believable, the chicken dancing thing, made me think of a penguin or seals out of water. He not only looks ungainly, because of his anatomy, but when was the last time he used his legs? Was probably pretty out of shape. Btw, have you seen this? Benedict, all alone, on what looks like a padded ping pong table, being Smaug :D

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:43 pm

When I see that, I think that actors really need loads of imagination. All the more respect for him and Andy Serkis!
I'm not sure whether Tolkien would have liked the Ninja Elf Maiden, too, but how can we know? It works for me. Eowyn was a fighter, too, so why not the Elven ladies?
Yes, the MacBeth reverences are quite obvious, aren't they? Also a bit of King Lear, I think (Theoden - Wormtongue - Eowyn/Eomer), though with a better ending.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:33 am

Padfoot wrote:When I see that, I think that actors really need loads of imagination. All the more respect for him and Andy Serkis!

There's a handful of pictures of Cumberbatch at work, and the last one shows him getting up from that table...he looks exhausted.
I'm not sure whether Tolkien would have liked the Ninja Elf Maiden, too, but how can we know? It works for me. Eowyn was a fighter, too, so why not the Elven ladies?

Well, I'd rather nobody fought :paperbag: , and it's been difficult for me because I've lived with the story, as it was, for so long. I know Tolkien doesn't specify that it's only male Elves that do the fighting - it's easy to just assume that's the case, because that's what some of us, especially my age, are used to.
Yes, the MacBeth reverences are quite obvious, aren't they? Also a bit of King Lear, I think (Theoden - Wormtongue - Eowyn/Eomer), though with a better ending.

You know, I hadn't thought of Lear...hmmm.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:13 am

There's a handful of pictures of Cumberbatch at work, and the last one shows him getting up from that table...he looks exhausted

Yes, he does. Physically and emotionally, I suppose.

I thought of King Lear because of Theoden's relationship with Eowyn and Eomer. He banishes those who love him and listens to those who want him no good, and he goes mad (under Grima's spell). Of course, once the spell is lifted and he comes to his senses, Theoden has the better ending for him. :)

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:36 pm

Padfoot wrote:I thought of King Lear because of Theoden's relationship with Eowyn and Eomer. He banishes those who love him and listens to those who want him no good, and he goes mad (under Grima's spell). Of course, once the spell is lifted and he comes to his senses, Theoden has the better ending for him. :)

Thanks for this, Paddy! I was overthinking it - the three daughters, splittin' up the kingdom, etc. - I see it now :paperbag: .

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:30 pm

Just started watching Sherlock and noticed Smaug and Bilbo are in it. :D
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Return to “Fantasy Movies”