Spot on Viggo!

From well known to obscure, talk about any Fantasy movies here
Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Spot on Viggo!

Postby Withywindle » Thu May 15, 2014 6:21 am

Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Spot on Viggo!

Postby shireling » Thu May 15, 2014 12:38 pm

I loved Fellowship more than the rest, and I wish that the character develop hadn't been diminished in the other two.

I remember Elijah saying that the day they shot Amon Sol, was the first day Viggo was on set. So, there's Aragorn torching and slashing Nazgul, just come up from out of the wilds :) .

CG has it's place - like when you need something that doesn't occur in nature, like a cave troll - but there's been way too much of it. Thanks for posting this, Withy.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Mon May 19, 2014 3:01 am

I say I would have to agree with that as well, Withy. It's like PJ is drunk on the power of CGI and has forgotten to pay attention to the story in 2 and 3 of LotR, and completely within The Hobbit.

Still - this is not enough to keep me from watching the series to the end. I've no loyal integrity to Tolkien, it seems. ;) Even though he's already buggered up the story beyond belief, I love the view of Middle Earth become reality, and seeing Bilbo, Thorin, Gandalf, et.al. in the flesh, as it were. :)
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon May 19, 2014 11:59 am

If you can, watch Dominic Monaghan's Wild Things. There's an episode where Billy Boyd joins him in New Zealand; they've got the Shire all to themselves (it's really beautiful), and they hunt down a weta, which is the mother of all bugs, and I mean one huge, but very shy and gentle cricket :) .

When they were filming Fellowship, in the Farmer Maggot scene, when the hobbits hide from the Nazgul and all those worms and spiders come up out of the ground? Well, they had a weta there, too, along with that millipede that pops out of its hole. But then the millipede seized on the weta and ate it - right in front of cast and crew, traumatizing everybody, especially PJ. I found a piccy of one on a hand to give you some idea of scale.

It's amazing to consider what happened, especially when you get a look at the exoskeleton on the thing. Btw, since I'm already so far off-topic :lol:, did you know that the moth that came to Gandalf at Orthanc, was kept cold right up until the last moment, so that Ian could interact with it? It was CG at some point but, when it's in his hands, it's a real critter.

This goes back to what you shared, in 'Vikings', Ms B. You can computer generate damn near anything, but nothing beats the real thing.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:53 am

I'm also with Viggo, and I don't think he's disrespectful towards PJ. He's telling the truth, and I think PJ can stand that from an accomplished actor and friend. Friendship can stand some criticism.

I can accept a certain amount of CGI, but the Hobbit has far too much of it.

PJ acts like a child in toyland. I think he really enjoys what he's doing, and that's why I keep on forgiving him :P , but some things just are too much and way too overdone.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

Return to “Fantasy Movies”