Star Wars: Original Trilogy

Enter here to discuss anything from Aliens to....some Sci-Fi movie beginning with "z"
Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Star Wars: Original Trilogy

Postby Shuggy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:44 am

This is the thread for all SW: OT discussion. When I get more time, I'll populate this thread some more!
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Star Wars: Original Trilogy

Postby shireling » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:02 am

Saw it a total of 75 times in theater, but more times for SW:ESB than the other two. It's still my favorite of the original trilogy.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:29 pm

shireling wrote:Saw it a total of 75 times in theater, but more times for SW:ESB than the other two. It's still my favorite of the original trilogy.

I've always been a bit confused about the time duration of the flight to Bespin/Luke's training on Dagobah - Is the Falcon on the run for weeks, or is Luke in training for a couple of hours? :?

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Postby PatriotBlade » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:10 pm

The Falcon's on the run for for several days, possably weeks, as was Lukes training, according to the books.
Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still UNWRITTEN...

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:19 pm

But we're not shown this in the film. Unless the hyperspace jump to Bespin is instantaneous for the jumpees, but takes weeks in reality. Again, this is not even hinted at in the film.

I personally believe a 'Book of the film' should enhance the film, not plaster over any plot holes.

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:17 pm

shireling wrote:Saw it a total of 75 times in theater, but more times for SW:ESB than the other two. It's still my favorite of the original trilogy.

Interesting, it's my least favorite :lol: It just seems to be filler to me. I can go from watching IV to VI without any problems lol.
[Under Construction]

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:27 pm

That's okay :D. I loved it for the Taun-tauns (which smell worse inside than out), the battle on Hoth, and the family revelations of L, L and DV. Luke's training by Yoda and the repartee between Leia & Han were things I especially liked.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:31 am

My favorite will always be ROTJ (Return Of The Jedi). It's the first one I ever saw, and as much as I like it now, Dad had to MAKE me watch it!
Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still UNWRITTEN...

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:47 am

My dad got my sister and I to watch the old movies when i was about 11, maybe 12. They were my first exposure to them even though ep. 2 had come out a few months before.

I like ANH and RotJ about equally. ANH stands really well on it's own, while RotJ is flippin epic! ESB is of course brilliant in places but it does have filler-y bits as well as some parts that frightened/grossed me out when i first saw it. First impressions.. man...

Sooo... Han or Luke? My friends and I spent many an hour in Highschool having fangirl arguments. :P I think it's much more important than this edward/jacob business :P KIDS THESE DAYS ect
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:49 am

Han Solo has always done it for me. ;)
Seriously, Ford's easy manner and reluctant swash-buckling is very entertaining.

As one of the 'Olde Pharts' on the boards, I saw A New Hope in the theater when it was first released in May 1977.
The special FX were unlike anything ever seen before- the dogfights between the X-wing fighters and the others was breath taking.
I think this will always be my favorite of the original trilogy. "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!"
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:19 pm

The Original Trilogy had the pacing and cliffhanger situations of the old movie serials like "The Perils of Pauline", and set it in a believable (for the time) future.
But more than that, it added the comedy teams of R2D2 and C3PO reminiscent of Felix and Oscar of the Odd Couple, as well as the comedic sexual tension of Han and Leah straight out of the Spencer Tracey and Katherine Hepburn mold.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:48 pm

I love the original films, and wish that I'd never seen the prequels (I can still remember the discussions about prequel as to whether it was a word or not). What I imagined about Vader and the twins' mother was based on those, and it was better.

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:43 pm

I was out of the country when the first one was released and did not know a thing about it. When I got back about two weeks after its release I had no idea of the popularity of the film. I went to see it as an impulse view. The theater marquee looked inviting.

STAR WARS
oooh :?
Turned out to be good.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:46 am

TomCotton wrote:I was out of the country when the first one was released and did not know a thing about it. When I got back about two weeks after its release I had no idea of the popularity of the film. I went to see it as an impulse view. The theater marquee looked inviting.

STAR WARS
oooh :?
Turned out to be good.

:lol:

As a country, I think we were still enamoured of space, and aliens. Close Encounters of the Third Kind came out a few months later and so began the battle of the wunderkinds of Lucas and Spielberg.

It was an exciting time in the theaters.
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:57 am

And there was E.T.. We hounded our parents until they went to see it, and my mom cried all the way home. The only other movies that made her cry were Wuthering Heights and Imitation of Life; sentimental she was not.

Return to “Sci-Fi Movies”