Star Wars: Prequel Trilogy

Enter here to discuss anything from Aliens to....some Sci-Fi movie beginning with "z"
Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Star Wars: Prequel Trilogy

Postby Shuggy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:48 am

This is the thread for all SW: PT discussion. When I get more time, I'll populate this thread some more - with bile-dripping rants! :x
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Allegra
Mome Rath

Re: Star Wars: Prequel Trilogy

Postby Allegra » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:50 pm

I saw the new films and the prequels way back in the 1970s and 1980s. In my opinion, I enjoyed these films than those that were made in the 1990s. It's just my opinion.

margarath
House Elf

Postby margarath » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:16 pm

I do think that the Original trilogy is better than the new ones, but nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed episode 3, and how it ties the whole thing up. The last half hour of ep3 makes up for the rest of 1, 2 and 3.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:00 am

margarath wrote:I do think that the Original trilogy is better than the new ones, but nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed episode 3, and how it ties the whole thing up. The last half hour of ep3 makes up for the rest of 1, 2 and 3.

That's how I feel, too.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:12 pm

Same here!
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

GriffinRider
N00b

Postby GriffinRider » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:27 pm

I just cant get over how timeless the look of the originals is because it was all real!! they actually built the stuff they were working with rather than the stupid green screen crap they do these days. I think that forever dates and degrades the prequels. You believe 3,4 and 5 are in another galaxy because they MADE it in another galaxy...
Really greenscreen is to blame for everything. I think the quality of the acting is lessened by nothing real to work with. How can you really get in character and act up against a neon wall???
Overall, its star wars so i love it for that sake but i was disappointed....
But the other point to be made is that the original trilogy was Magic... because it was ORIGINAL!!! And you cant force the kind of magic it had. Lucas pored his heart and soul in to them and you can tell... all the rest is tainted with success...

locksley
House Elf

Postby locksley » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:26 pm

I think the original trilogy far surpasses the prequels. :)

What mostly ruined Episode III for me was the horrid, flat acting of Hayden Christensen. He was a terrible choice to play Anakin.

(And don't get me started on Jar-Jar :roll:)
"He walked into mid-autumn, hearing nothing but the winds. One night as he sat before his fire, vaguely feeling the winds urge against his shape, he looked down and saw the starred harp in his hands ..." (Mckillip, The Riddle Master trilogy)

barkybree
Mome Rath

Postby barkybree » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:47 am

um, yeah, Star Wars prequels = bag of awful :x

Keith
House Elf

Postby Keith » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 pm

Bashing on the Star Wars prequels is a bit like kicking a three-legged puppy these days. :P I don't think they're as awful as some do, but I agree that the original trilogy is better in nearly every respect. The biggest problem with the prequels, for me, is that they're too busy in ways that don't add anything. Too many wacky aliens flouncing in CGI-fake-walk in the background, too many different locations, too many 'cool' action sequences that just take up time, etc.

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:08 pm

That's because they were actually very long adverts for video games and action figures, not movies in the traditional sense.

What irritates me most about making prequels decades after the original movie(s) is the advance of technology in the real world makes the prequels, many of which take place in a time frame long before the original movie time frame, seem more technologicaly advanced. Some try to hide that by saying some apocalyptic event happened to knock civilization back a few centuries, but I don't buy it.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

merryb
House Elf

Postby merryb » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:58 pm

The prequels are like sand. I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like the originals. The originals are soft and smooth.

Keith
House Elf

Postby Keith » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:30 pm

merryb wrote:The prequels are like sand. I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like the originals. The originals are soft and smooth.

You win the sum of 1 internet for that post. :D

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:39 am

Keith wrote:
merryb wrote:The prequels are like sand. I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like the originals. The originals are soft and smooth.

You win the sum of 1 internet for that post. :D

AHHHhaha i quite agree!

The prequels were terrible! I think I like ep 1 as a kids movie maybe. The pod race was fun, and when it came out i was quite young so I didn't really realise how bad the acting was (padme and obi-wan excluded.. they did their best with the script they had, i think)

2 and 3 basicly went "you see Darth Vader? He's such a cool villain isn't he! Mysterious past, really evil ect! you can actually fear/hate him! Now we are going to turn his backstory into a wibbling pile of angst which has been crapped upon vigerously by the bad-scriptwritting-monster and the CG-beast."

Also: plot holes. Leia states she remembers her mother. She clearly cannot do that if padme dies in childbirth! Lucas wrote the damn thing, he should know better!
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

Keith
House Elf

Postby Keith » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:18 pm

I saw an interesting documentary called "The People vs George Lucas" a while ago that (along with featuring a lot of fun footage of fan films, conventions, people sounding off etc.) raised some quite interesting points about the reasons for the fan backlash towards the prequels and the earlier 'revisionist' special editions (Greedo shoots first, etc.). In particular, it was noted that whereas directors often do special editions of movies, most don't wait 20 years to do it. A lot of the fandom ire towards the special editions was therefore due to the fact that people had grown up with a particular version of the story and, even if it wasn't what Lucas would have done if he'd had CGI and a bigger budget, that was what they had come to love and changing it was never going to go down well. This is less likely to happen if a special DVD edition comes out less than a year after the original movie.

It was also noted that waiting 20 years to do the special editions and prequels meant that Lucas was inevitably a different person when he got round to them - older, more conservative, less inclined to be edgy. The more kid-friendly tone of the prequels (and things like Greedo shooting first) can arguably be attributed to Lucas having kids of his own. The original trilogy is actually pretty dark in places without being explicit about it - genocide, dismemberment, implied torture, kinda-sorta sexual enslavement, incest, etc., which helps make them distinct from other movies of the same genre (including a lot of their imitators). The prequels, by contrast, inevitably come across as kind of generic because the violence is more cartoonish (and a lot more of the deaths are droids or faceless semi-robotic clones), and the necessary drama of things like Anakin's angst is diluted by the lighter tone and comes across as po-faced and weak. It's hardly surprising that Revenge of the Sith is most people's favourite of the prequels.

v0id
Mome Rath

Postby v0id » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:02 pm

locksley wrote:
What mostly ruined Episode III for me was the horrid, flat acting of Hayden Christensen. He was a terrible choice to play Anakin.

He's also ruined RotJ when some bright spark decided it would be a good idea to replace Sebastian Shaw's Anakin ghost at the end

...and don't get me started at greedo shooting first in ANH :mad:

Return to “Sci-Fi Movies”