The Avengers Assemble!

Enter here to discuss anything from Aliens to....some Sci-Fi movie beginning with "z"
Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

The Avengers Assemble!

Postby Shuggy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:41 am

So we've had Marvel's 'Hulk' film, which was fairly critically acclaimed and a modest success, and we've had two run-away successes with Iron Man 1 & 2 - each film having a post-credits sequence* which tied it into another Marvel upcoming or existing property, all hinting at this - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45904

The Avengers. A bold move, considering that the fate of this film rests (at the moment) on Robert Downey Jnr's shoulders and his work in Iron Man 1 & 2. Why? Because, obviously 'Thor' and 'Captain America' haven't even finished filming yet, so both are untested, and Edward Norton isn't coming back as Bruce Banner.

Will this be a spectacular, or a spectacular failure?

*If you didn't already know, the post credit sequences and tie-ins are as follows:

Iron Man - Nick Fury (Sam Jackson) meets Tony Stark in his house and talks to him about the 'Avenger Initiative'.
The Hulk - Tony Stark meets General Ross in a bar and says he has a proposition for him.
Iron Man 2 - SHIELD Agents converge on a crater in the New Mexico desert. In the crater we see a familiar, huge hammer...

As well as a nod to Captain America in Iron Man 2; a sequence was filmed for The Hulk where the camera passes by a frozen glacier - we briefly catch a glimpse of something red, white and blue frozen in the ice. It is unclear where this footage was going to fit into the film.
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Azriel
Crimebuster

Re: The Avengers Assemble!

Postby Azriel » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:34 pm

Superhero movies seem very hit or miss....
I tend to like the first one but sequels go downhill in my opinion. I loved Ironman (haven't yet seen the second one - hard to afford to go to the movies here in Japan when it costs about $18), Spiderman 1 was good (2 was dumb, I can't be arsed to watch 3), Batman Begins was good (thought The Dark Knight was too cheesy), X-men was good (2 and 3 were ok, Beginnings was made of cheese) etc.
I think the reason for this is that once the filmmakers realize what people like, they make another and try to make sure to include all the things people liked in the first instead of giving it it's own new identity.
Avengers could go either way, but I predict it's going to flop due to having too many heroes. They'll try to make sure everyone gets enough screen time, try to make sure all the in-jokes get included, and plot will be forgotten.
Just my prediction.
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:31 pm

Azriel wrote:Superhero movies seem very hit or miss....
I tend to like the first one but sequels go downhill in my opinion. I loved Ironman (haven't yet seen the second one - hard to afford to go to the movies here in Japan when it costs about $18), Spiderman 1 was good (2 was dumb, I can't be arsed to watch 3), Batman Begins was good (thought The Dark Knight was too cheesy), X-men was good (2 and 3 were ok, Beginnings was made of cheese) etc.

Iron Man 2 is WELL worth a watch, and suprisingly character-driven. It has few action scenes just like the first film, but what scenes there is are bigger, better and longer. (Reminds me of me!)

You are missing nothing by ignoring Spider-Man 3 - it's HORRIBLE.

As time goes by, I fall more and more out of love with 'The Dark Knight', but for all its' faults I would never describe it as 'cheesy' (apart from Jim Gordon's speech right at the end) - please elaborate.

Azriel wrote:I think the reason for this is that once the filmmakers realize what people like, they make another and try to make sure to include all the things people liked in the first instead of giving it it's own new identity.
Avengers could go either way, but I predict it's going to flop due to having too many heroes. They'll try to make sure everyone gets enough screen time, try to make sure all the in-jokes get included, and plot will be forgotten.
Just my prediction.

I agree - I think too many heroes will be jammed into the film, all vying for attention will be the ruin of 'The Avengers' - especially as the only superhero who has earned the attention thus far is Iron Man.

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:53 pm

I was never into the comic book super heroes or comic books in general at all. The movies based on those characters seem to be nothing more than extremely long adverts for the upcoming video game and action figures as well as all the other cwrap that is tied in to the movie. You can pick out the parts in the movie where you will loose some life force.

I really don't see how they can do any kind of a good job in condensing decades of story and interaction between characters into a few movies of a couple of hours each. Movies of throw away lines, CGI, and large explosions get to be a bit ridiculous after a while. :roll:

Besides everytime I see The Avengers I think of John Steed and Emma Peel (Diana Rigg, hubba hubba Image).
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:54 am

I only watched TDK once so my memory of what exactly I found cheesy is fuzzy. But I definitely founds bits that were meant to be serious amusing, I remember I couldn't take Gordon's character seriously at all, Batman's 'mysterious' exits and entrances had me rolling my eyes etc. It felt to me like it was trying too hard to be deep and dark and that sort of thing always has the opposite effect on me.
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:27 am

Azriel wrote:I only watched TDK once so my memory of what exactly I found cheesy is fuzzy. But I definitely founds bits that were meant to be serious amusing, I remember I couldn't take Gordon's character seriously at all, Batman's 'mysterious' exits and entrances had me rolling my eyes etc. It felt to me like it was trying too hard to be deep and dark and that sort of thing always has the opposite effect on me.

Now Gordon in Batman (1989) and Batman Returns was a complete joke in all respects, but I had no problem with Gordon in TDK.

I can only recall one 'mysterious exit' by Batman in TDK, and I thought it was handled quite well ("He does that.")

I suppose it depends on your definition of 'cheesy'. As I said - Gordon's speech (supposedly to his son, which if you bear that in mind makes it CHEESIER) at the end is heavy on the fromage.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:39 pm

:? Wasn't sure where to post this. Enjoy! :D

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri May 01, 2015 1:16 pm

The Avengers: the Age of Utron is out today!!!!! :)

And I have to stay home to wait for the AC guy :( ... which is good, because it promises to heat up next week :) , but bad because it's virtually impossible to avoid spoilage even now :( *wish I could bestow Hulk thrashings on any and all spoiler-makers :evil: ...and this needs to be green - and very angry big, in torn trousers, just for this post*

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat May 09, 2015 1:54 pm

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun May 10, 2015 11:30 am

AGENT CARTER RENEWED!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun May 10, 2015 7:09 pm

You have our sympathies, Frigga. Happy Mother's Day, you goddess, you!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:26 am

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is about to begin the fall season :D . I keep waiting for a crossover with the Avengers - I actually thought there would be one near the end of last season, but then they stiffed us :( .

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:58 pm

(Source: volvano, via volvano)

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:22 am

:lol: :lol: Can't wait for "Age of Ultron" to be released on DVD... :)
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:07 pm

If you can, check out the DVD and then decide, that's what I'd do. I've wanted to see it so much, and then I started hearing how Joss Whedon has become to Marvel what Steven Moffat is to Doctor Who. I'm waiting for it to come up ON DEMAND.

Return to “Sci-Fi Movies”