Alien monsters

Enter here to discuss anything from Aliens to....some Sci-Fi movie beginning with "z"
Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Alien monsters

Postby Candy Kane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:19 am

What are your favourite alien monsters?

I love Alien, Predator and all that, but what about the other greats? Let's talk about them here.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Re: Alien monsters

Postby Shuggy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:08 am

Wow - this could get epic! :D

Aliens (Ridley Scott's & James Cameron's) are brilliant; as is the Predator - put them together on film; not so much.

John Carpenter's 'The Thing'; now THAT was good. The SFX were obviously great at the time, but the majority of the 'horror' for me, came from not knowing who or where the 'Thing' was.

Tusken Raiders - one of the very few Star Wars alien races that survived the original trilogy 'remixes' and the prequel trilogy in general with their dignity intact.

I shall have another think and return....
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:48 pm

Alien monsters...the only ones I can think of are ones that were monsters only because humans disrupted their lives. My favorites are from classic Star Trek like the salt vampire, shape-shifter in "The Man Trap" and the Horta in "The Devil in the Dark."

And the Cardassians were way better than the ones we've got now ;).

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:59 pm

Aliens in the Ridley Scott movies.

The Blob from the Steve McQueen movie

Gort

I always like the Ray Harryhausen stop motion monsters. Not alien monster types usually but still cheesy good. :D

Triffids

Servalan :P
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:09 pm

Who's Servalan?

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:06 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servalan

I've discovered some epic crossovers with alien monsters and other series:

http://www.youtube.com/v/jOZVp9NFhQE&co ... edded&fs=1

A nicely done fanvid, would you believe, and not just spliced scenes, but people acting and whatnot.

I thought it would be clever to write a Predator V Batman fic, but it's been done over and over again. I wrote it anyway. The first chapter is up.

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:11 pm

Both versions of the Thing.
Early versions of War of the Worlds
Both versions of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"

Were the Aliens really aliens in the movie?? It seems that the earthlings really wandered into their territory, therefore we were the true aliens.
I guess that goes for most Star Trek episodes too.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:12 pm

One thing I loved about Star Trek is that it was a massive departure from the idea that aliens were automatically the bad guys.

Of course, they had some marvellous bad guys!

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:43 pm

TomCotton wrote:Triffids

:help: They scared the crap out of me when I was kid :lol: I even remember I nightmare I had once when I was about 9 or 10...I had butt-length blond hair at the time and my friend who lived next door had a large plant in her living room. It looked nothing like a triffid :P but in my dream it was one and it was eating my hair at the ends and slowly working its way up to my head :/
[Under Construction]

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:36 pm

Cassie wrote: :help: They scared the crap out of me when I was kid :lol: I even remember I nightmare I had once when I was about 9 or 10...I had butt-length blond hair at the time and my friend who lived next door had a large plant in her living room. It looked nothing like a triffid :P but in my dream it was one and it was eating my hair at the ends and slowly working its way up to my head :/

Yep, my sister had a tall bush outside her bedroom window that would brush against the screen in a wind. She screamed one night and woke us all up after we saw that movie because she thought the triffids were after her. :um:

I also remember once while we were visiting an old cemetary out in the piney woods of NW Louisiana that we saw a tall thistle type plant down in a shallow ravine that looked like a triffid. My brother picked up a sizeable rock and threw it at the plant, knocking it down. We all let out a cheer 'cause that was one triffid that was not going to get us. :lol:
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:36 pm

ashbow wrote:Both versions of the Thing.
Early versions of War of the Worlds
Both versions of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"

Were the Aliens really aliens in the movie?? It seems that the earthlings really wandered into their territory, therefore we were the true aliens.
I guess that goes for most Star Trek episodes too.

They certainly were ‘aliens’: ‘Aliens’ meaning ‘hugely foreign and unknown to humankind’, and ‘Aliens’ in the sense that they were from another planet.

Obviously they weren’t from Earth, and given both the first 2 films are set on (based around) the planet LV-426, and the Aliens are discovered inside a crashed ship belonging to other aliens, this almost conclusively proves that LV-426 is not the Alien’s home planet. This, therefore makes them ‘aliens’ in every sense (including body horror!).

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:24 pm

Damn, that was an excellent movie! I loved the tough woman role that Sigourney Weaver made her own. It was a refreshing change from the "Ooh, I broke a nail!" type women clinging to the hero's leg.

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:28 pm

On the lighter side of alien "monsters", you have Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and ET.
Just goes to show that if we can make music together and bring along some Reese's Pieces, we'll all get along.

There is another twist to the outer space monster theme...comets or ships that bring radiation, germs, seeds, etc.. and turn normal law-abiding citizens into zombies or super meanies. Usually a few are left unaffected to provide food and exercise for the ones who have turned.

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:30 pm

Or comets/foreign bodies that act as a catalyst for doom: 'Cloverfield', 'Day of the Triffids' (again - damn those Triffids!).

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:36 pm

Oh, I loved the Triffids! Brilliant, brilliant stuff!

Does anyone remember Tripods?

Return to “Sci-Fi Movies”