Star Trek 12

Enter here to discuss anything from Aliens to....some Sci-Fi movie beginning with "z"
MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Star Trek 12

Postby MsBrandybuck » Thu May 19, 2011 2:18 am

Almost as Trek11/2009/Reboot wrapped up, there was promise of another movie.

So, where is it??

http://www.scificool.com/jack-ryans-problems-are-star-treks-gain/

Trek was delayed because the studio was developing a Jack Ryan movie [main character of Tom Clancy book/movie "Hunt For Red October" and others].

So why shelve one in favor of the other? Because Chris Pine [Captain Kirk] is signed to play Jack Ryan. But now because of script problems on that movie, Star Trek has been put back onto the front burner. Tentative release date of 2012!

Jack Ryan re-write: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=76965

Star Trek 12: semi-spoilers about script development: http://blastr.com/2009/11/8-big-spoilers-for-star-t.php
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Re: Star Trek 12

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:14 pm

'Tis here: http://www.movieweb.com/news/star-trek- ... pock-pinch

Star Trek 2 comes to theaters May 17th, 2013 and stars Zoe Saldana, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Benedict Cumberbatch, Anton Yelchin, Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, John Cho. The film is directed by J.J. Abrams. Report by Movie Web
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:01 pm

*squeal* The first one was on TV a couple of times this past week!!! Geeze, that's more than a year off...:(

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:14 am

Yeah, Chris Pine had signed on for a Jack Ryan movie, which delayed the S.T. shoot.
The 2nd S.T. movie was going through re-writes anyway so they were happy to wait for his other project to wrap up. But it [the other movie] never got started either.
So I guess that since he's been released from that other obligation that he's free to do the Trek movie now- and thankfully they got a script together that they can shoot.
So now we wait......
— Worf

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:30 am

Too Cool! Really liked the re-boot. Let's see where they take it!
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:46 am

Is it bad that I think they messed too much with the lore? Okay, I think they drove a coach and horses through it and I didn't like the new captain. That said, if they'd renamed it, the film would have stood on its own. Okay, I'm a purist...!

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:55 am

Star Trekken'???
It was no worse than when they started next gen, where they strived to deconstruct what was put forth by the original series. As a TOS purist, I still can't watch much of the first seasons of next gen. It did get better when they got past that. I think the best Next Gen episode is Ryker going crazy in 'Frame of Mind'. Now Deep Space Nine I truly enjoyed!

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:01 pm

Oh, DS9 was glorious. TNG could get a bit preachy at times but DS9 gave us meaty, complex plots leavened by comic relief from the Ferengis. Fantastic stuff!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:07 pm

I loved DS9, too. What's wrong with us :lol:? Most everybody I know hated it because everybody came there and you didn't get to see "new worlds and new civilizations" - that's the reason they gave for thinking nothing good of it :? .

I liked the exploration of cultures. You could spend entire episodes just investigating them, and the social issues addressed always mattered more to me than the science, which I don't get.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:11 pm

DS9 revolved around the planet Bajor and had ambassadors from a variety of worlds... dang, I'm such a Trek nerd!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Yep, you are, Candy :D. I didn't know that.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:30 pm

What can I say? I like good Sci-fi.

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:15 am

I couldn't get into DS9 because I could never remember which night it was on, and then after missing a bunch of shows it was hard to follow the storyline. I think that the story arc is problematic in that way as opposed to the self-contained 1 episode story.
Fringe is about the only story arc that I've followed consistently- and I know if I'd missed a few episodes in a row then I'd be hopelessly lost. ['Lost".... another show I didn't follow...]

And I didn't even mind that it was on a space station - I was cool with that. And you gotta love those Ferengi.

Next Gen started out slow and jerky - but I was so Trek deprived that I gave it another shot for the 2nd season and liked that the cast had gelled a bit and the characters became more interesting. Yes... it got preachy... yes, there were some stinker episodes, but in all I liked it. And this was after being a TOS purist for a lotta years.
— Worf

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:09 pm

MsBrandybuck wrote:I couldn't get into DS9 because I could never remember which night it was on, and then after missing a bunch of shows it was hard to follow the storyline. I think that the story arc is problematic in that way as opposed to the self-contained 1 episode story.
Fringe is about the only story arc that I've followed consistently- and I know if I'd missed a few episodes in a row then I'd be hopelessly lost. ['Lost".... another show I didn't follow...]

My friend Mel could be you! She's said much the same (when Lost went time-traveling, that's when I think a lot of the fans just 'lost it'.) But I think
what keeps me coming back to Fringe is that I love the characters. I'm a fool for characters. Once they seduce me, I am well and truly in their thrall (one day back in the spring, I was getting out of the car in a small parking lot and found a red licorice twist just outside the door. Walter? :/ )

And I didn't even mind that it was on a space station - I was cool with that. And you gotta love those Ferengi.

(Did you know that Ferengi means "foreigner"? You can't get much more foreign then them - though a friend of mine once said that if you could see the souls of the robber barons of Wall Street, that's what they'd look like.)

Next Gen started out slow and jerky - but I was so Trek deprived that I gave it another shot for the 2nd season and liked that the cast had gelled a bit and the characters became more interesting. Yes... it got preachy... yes, there were some stinker episodes, but in all I liked it. And this was after being a TOS purist for a lotta years.

I agree with all of that. I've never seen the first season complete.

Speaking of TOS, has anybody seen the subtle little changes that were made in the DVDs? We were watching "The Menagerie", and saw that in places where you'd be on the Enterprise and near a window (which was always filled in), the space would be open and filled with...ah...space?

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:57 am

Next to Star Trek II (Khan), the best battle scenes were in some of the DS9 episodes.

And after the TOS legacy of Kirk, Picard SURRENDERS the Enterprise in what, the first episode, or was it the second? And counselor Troi... gag

One of the reasons I liked DS9 was Sisko was everything Picard was not. And they developed Miles O'Brien from more than a 20 second transporter operator, and furthered Worf's character.

Anyone want to mention the far-fetched Voyager? I pretty much watched it for Jeri Ryan. And don't get me started on Enterprise... Abrams
HAD to re-boot it after that.

Return to “Sci-Fi Movies”