Dune

Enter here to discuss anything from Aliens to....some Sci-Fi movie beginning with "z"
Halasian
Crimebuster

Dune

Postby Halasian » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:21 am

I've seen the 1984 David Lynch movie, and this century's Sci-Fi mini-series.
I have to say I liked the newer one better. The older movie one needs to watch the extended directors cut, and still I can't get over some of the bad acting in it.
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Re: Dune

Postby TomCotton » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:29 pm

Agree about the 1984 movie, especially that idiotic sound wave projection BS.

The mini-series was OK. It seemed like the Fremen in it spent too much time at the local pub. In the books they seemed to be very lean due to their lifestyle and the environmental conditions they lived in instead of having the well watered physiques they all sported in the mini-series. The guy playing Stilgar was not quite right in physical appearance. The sietches also seemed to be in the open instead of in caves.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Dune

Postby shireling » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:08 pm

:paperbag: I love that movie, you guys! :lol:

There's nothing wrong with it that removing David Lynch from every single bit of writing, directing, and editing wouldn't have helped. I've seen the extended version and can't understand why they don't have Irulan doing the narration (her voice is at the beginning of each chapter.)

It was never made clear, to anybody who hadn't read the books, that some of the Harkonnen minions were deaf (which made some of the acting awkward, not to mention the stilted dialogue), and while the Harkonnens themselves may have been 'animals', they weren't meant to be disgusting (btw, I always thought of the Baron as having had a beautiful face, as I was reading - and while Kenneth McMillan was a fat guy, he was quite handsome. I absolutely hated how they and the Fremen were portrayed in the movie; there was so much that could have been done better. I don't know what Frank Herbert was thinking.

Supremely hated that weirding modules tripe (put in because Lynch didn't want to see Kung Fu moves across the desert - huh? Sheesh! Kicking ass (when they weren't actively participating in their kwisatz haderach breeding program), was what Bene Gesserits did! They didn't need no stinking weirding modules!

Anyway, has anybody seen Jodorowsky's Dune? And if you have, what do you think?

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Return to “Sci-Fi Movies”