The Vikings

Halasian
Crimebuster

The Vikings

Postby Halasian » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:43 pm

Has anyone watched The Vikings? I tried recording the series on my PVR, but only got a few episodes (I think I screwed up the setting when I programmed something else later). Anyway, watched the first few episodes, and now that I have the 1st season DVD (yes, a 2nd season is in the making), I plan on watching the whole season. From what I saw of the first few episodes, it was quite good even if not 100% accurate. It is great TV.

(Should this go instead in the 'Historical Movies' forum?)
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: The Vikings

Postby shireling » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:27 pm

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:57 am

I'm looking forward to season 2!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:30 pm

February 27th, at 10 PM! :yay: Finally actual, if fictionalized, history is coming back to The History Channel!

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:50 pm

Almost here! I've recorded a bunch of episodes from the last season because I got into this so late, and I hope to get them all watched by Monday next...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:48 am

Managed to get caught up on all the past season's episodes yesterday, and watched the new one's premiere last night...

Spoilers:
O-kay :/

It broke my heart to see that Lagerta had lost the baby, and then little Gyda dies from what looked like a prehistoric version of 1918's influenza at the end of last season. And I am really, really ticked off at Ragnar for takin' up with that walkin'-talkin' mannequin Aslaug (Brynhildr and Sigunds's daughter - yeah, right.)

In this season's first episode, I don't blame Lagerta for packing up and leaving, but I don't want her to go. She's my favorite character, just a tad above Athelstan. His inner-faith struggles have really been a joy to to watch; just how do you keep to your core beliefs (Christian, monotheistic) when you've been scooped up and placed in a society where you're the only one with them? Especially when so much of Viking religious and social values really aren't all that far from your average 5th century Anglo-Saxon. I'm looking forward to his continued growth.

Thank Odin, Rollo finally got to go against Ragnar big time and get it off his chest - bad idea, bad bad idea. Now that he's been given a second chance, let's see what he does with it. But above all, I want Lagertha back, and I want her now!

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:31 pm

I have to admit that I haven't heard of this one yet.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:21 pm

I stumbled onto it late last year and saw the final two episodes; it's on our TimeWarner History Channel

Because of the Thor movies - and the Hiddleston's Loki :redeyeroll: - I've gotten all caught up in Norse mythology, which is very nice because worship of the gods is deeply ingrained in these peoples lives. Knowing the names ahead of time helps, even though the spelling varies, as well as Athelstan's questions - I got a full explanation of Ragnarök :D !

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:01 pm

I have the 1st season DVD & am recording the 2nd. A good series this.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Image ImageImage

"Gyda, I have come to say goodbye to you, properly. I’ve been thinking about you, about when you were small. You were so lively you could run as swiftly as the wind. You were like a quick-silver. But then, before I knew it, you stopped running here and there and everywhere, and you became still. At 12 years old you had the stillness and the calm of a fine woman. What children you would have produced! What joy that would have brought to all of us!

Dear child, Gyda, you are not gone because you are always in my heart. They say that a man must love his sons more, but a man can be jealous of his sons and his daughter can always be the light in his life.

I know very well that you are with the Gods. But I will wait here, a while, and if you wanna come and talk to me, then come and talk., and I will gently stroke your long and beautiful hair once again with my peasant hands.”

Just one of the many reasons why I am loving this show...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:27 pm

Read this - even if you aren't as teary over Athelstan as I am. It's got lots of good facts :) ...and I had hoped with all my might that the whole thing was just another one of his hallucinations :( .

http://www.miriamjoywrites.com/2014/03/ ... ngs-style/

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:17 pm

The show will start on Friday, 25th. :)
Unfortunately, "Elementary", which has been moved to another TV station, is airing at the same time... :bang: :wtf:

I haven't decided yet what to watch... :/ :slowblush:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:59 pm

I wish I could have found a bigger picture, but they all want you to watch The Vikings! Me too! Sherlock will forgive you, Paddy :) .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:23 pm

The Vikings it is, then. :)

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:20 pm

There's two more episodes here, and that's the end of the second season. I can't believe how fast it went! Let me know what you think, Paddy.

Return to “Fantasy”