Re: The Vikings

Postby Padfoot » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:01 pm

Oh oh...
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:05 am

Bjorn in the wilderness, is being berserkered and beared; there's trouble in Rollo's paradise (can't they find anybody who speaks Old Norse for this guy?) Both King Ecbert and Ragnar have visions of their favorite monk - Ecbert and Judith become much better acquainted; Judith takes illumination classes, and Ragnar drops in on Helga and Floki.

Kalf teams up with Horik's son (definitely up to no good); uneasy lies the head on Lagertha's pillow; Aethelwulf shows up in Wessex with Kwenthrith and Magnus in tow, and chips another notch on Mercia's bedpost.

Only complaint is that the episodes go too fast. I can't believe how quickly they're over.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:05 am

It's Yol-tide and the log is on the fire!

The former King Horik's kid and Kalf were surprise, surprised! King Aelle is very upset with daughter Judith over her brand-new beau (he doesn't even know about Aethelwulf with Queen Kwenthrith.) He also doesn't like the fact that she does illuminations of scripture. Then Kwenthrith is still spreading it round that son Magnus is Ragnar Lothbrok's (and I don't remember seeing that at all, not that it couldn't happen.) Btw, Aelle has sworn to kill Ragnar - by God and his angels, he swears.

Anyway, the late King Horik's daughter-in-law has left her hubby; Lagertha will be even more busy, but she doesn't mind this job. Helga and Floki are back home. Aslaug's Oriental acquisition has been given a new position by Ragnar.

Meanwhile in Paris, Rollo has mastered sufficient French to impress the fair Gisla. Just in time, too, because there was a cardinal present to give the annulment. Upon hearing her hubby speak...well, I don't want to spoil it. Oh, and Floki went to see the Seer...

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:36 pm

Lagertha and Kalf are having a baby :D ! So, they decide to get married...ah, well, gee I didn't see any of that coming...SPOILERLagertha stabs Kalf to death! and immediately after, declares him dead and herself Earl.

Back at Kattegat, Torvi and Bjorn are trying to find balance in their new relationship. And, as they talk, Torvi casually mentions that the ring Bjorn took from the Berserker, belongs to her 'husband', Erlendur (previously known here as King Horik's kid.)

King Ragnar and Yidu (former slave to Queen Aslaug) have hit it off; Ragnar fired her from slavery because she does such a poor job of it. Meanwhile, Yidu's been plying Lothbrok with what maybe opium (?) As for Queen Aslaug, she's taken her son, Ivar, to be trained in Vikingness by Floki (because of Ragnar's friendship with Athelstan, she doesn't believe he's capable.) Well, *sigh* during a game of 'keep away', Ivar and another boy get into a tug'o war, and SPOILERlittle Prince Boneless wacks the other kid in the head with his Fisher-Price hatchet :thud: . So, the Queen does I've seen other parents do in that situation - she snatches up her boy and high-tails it for home, leaving the other child either critically-wounded or dead.

Back in Paris, it's hard to read Rollo, who swears he's honest about protecting France and his in-laws (I just don't know, I'll believe it when I see it.)

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:32 pm

“Don’t waste your time looking back,” says King Ragnar Lothbrok to his sons. “We’re not going that way.”

Our gang is on their way back to Paris, and Ragnar is taking his next two eldest sons, Ubbe and Hvitserk, with him (to the discomfort of Aslaug.) But, he's dad - and king - and once the boys are given their sacred arm rings, they have 'come of age.' Basically, they're just there to watch, not fight. And there's plenty to see - nothing that I'd want my kid to observe - but then, Ragnar hasn't been himself ever since he started this Oriental medication regime at the hands of Yidu (he has become seriously addicted - it can be seen in his eyes and behavior.) So, he's taking her with him so that she can keep him supplied, and bonus she speaks Frankish.

If looks could kill, Floki would have deep-sixed Ragnar weeks ago (well, he humiliated and tortured the boat-builder for the murder of Athelstan - whom Floki has referred to as Ragnar's 'pet Christian'.) Anyway, Floki made some new friends, among them a guy smothered in tattoos, one King Harald, who modestly calls himself 'the King of Norway' (I'm not impressed by his boasting, but if he does something to back up the talk, I'll let you know.)

Meanwhile, in Wessex, young Albert (bastard son of Judith and Athelstan), will be pilgrimaging to Rome with Aethelwulf (his legal dad), and Father Prudentius (Judith's art tudor.) Albert will get to meet the Pope, see the Vatican, and will have a much better time overall - except for the 12 mile a day forced march to reach 1,100 mile away Rome. Now, who will be looking out for Queen Kwenthrith, with her lover, Aethelwulf, gone out of the picture for who knows how long? It won't surprise you that nobody wanted to do any of this, except King Ecbert, who made the command and then quieted any small protests by touting how great it's all going to be (I actually know a guy like this, with this attitude, and the character has creeped me out from the beginning.)

In Kattegat, there's been no follow-up on the 'accident' Ivar Boneless caused, and both he and Sigurd Snake-in-the-Eye watch their father and step-brother Bjorn, leave for Paris. Once on the boat, Bjorn shares with Tovi where he got Erlandur's ring (awk-ward.) Oh, and Harbard is back. He may not be Odin, but I doubt any of the Kattegat ladies care about that.

If I truly feel for anybody, it's little Siggy. She's Bjorn's toddler daughter by Porunn, and the baby looks unkempt and unloved. I hope Porunn comes back for her...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:45 pm

The series has a few episodes coming up this next week :D (not new season, but I love this so I'm watching.)

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:17 am

2017 Calendar featuring Norse Goddesses...

http://fuckyeahrichardiii.tumblr.com/po ... lady-feral

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:59 pm

The first three episodes... :/

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:50 pm

I'm not sure whether the show will continue to air in Germany. The ratings weren't what was expected. The same goes for "Black Sails".
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:24 pm

I don't want to spoil anything, but it's been a really good ride.

Return to “Fantasy”