The Vikings

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: The Vikings

Postby shireling » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:21 pm

btw, Vikings showrunners, it would also be rad if you could depict some interactions between Ragnar’s people and the Finno-Ugric and especially Saami peoples, because that was a Really Big Thing.

We could say that since the Vikings who sacked England were Danes, then Ragnar’s homeland is therefore Denmark, and those other groups were primarily in Norway and Sweden (and Finland of course), but the show has consistently labeled Ragnar’s home as “Scandinavia” more broadly. It would make a lot of sense to have these other peoples depicted so that viewers could see that the Scandinavians weren’t the only ethnic group in that region...from fyrichardiii

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:39 am

I just had to post where you could find this summary of Vikings, because "it is a perfect intro to the show for rookie viewers." (Caution: you will learn things that are only known in the second season if you read this.)

http://fuckyeahrichardiii.tumblr.com/po ... ed-to-your

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:38 pm

That is my agony. - Athelstan

RIP...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:42 am

Found this in Wiki about The Last Kingdom, from BBC-America and which - as of today - still doesn't have a starting date...

Set in the late ninth century, when what is known as England today was several separate kingdoms. The Anglo-Saxon lands are attacked and in many instances ruled by Viking forces. The kingdom of Wessex has been left standing alone under the command of King Alfred the Great. The main protagonist, Uhtred - the orphaned son of a Saxon nobleman, is kidnapped by norsemen and raised as one of them. Forced to choose between a kingdom that shares his ancestry and the people of his upbringing, his loyalties are ever tested.

Alfred the Great is, supposedly, the son of the late Athelstan and Judith of Wessex. Ragnar Lothbrok also appears in this (he must be really, really old by then!) I am cautiously looking forward to this...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:19 am

I keep looking for this show, The Last Kingdom, and don't see when it'll be broadcast. All there is has been trailers on BBC-America :/ .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:21 pm

Is this based on a Bernard Cornwell book? If so, it should be really good. I haven't heard about his books being turned into a tv series, but the storyline sounded familiar to me (the name Uthred), so I guess it is. Something to look forward to.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:13 am

Padfoot wrote:Is this based on a Bernard Cornwell book? If so, it should be really good. I haven't heard about his books being turned into a tv series, but the storyline sounded familiar to me (the name Uthred), so I guess it is. Something to look forward to.

This is what I read...

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/filming- ... t-kingdom/

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:24 am

YES! :yay: :yes: This cast sounds extremely promising!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:34 pm

They do. I would just really like to know when to expect them...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:41 pm

YES! Broadcast date of The Last Kingdom is October 15th!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:41 am

...the Fabulous Four...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:44 am

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:00 am

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:13 pm

Well, the new season has begun (The History Channel on Thursday nights at 10.)

The French think that they've won the Battle of Paris, because the place hasn't been completely decimated (the Princess Gisla, daughter of the Emperor, is the only one who isn't happy; she's got her reasons, but I won't spoil it for you), and Ragnar's lot thinks that they have because of all the goodies they've come home with.

Bjorn takes some matters into his own hands, without consulting his father. Queen Aslaug has bought some new property for the household. Lagertha is making her way through the politics of her new home (as well as cutting away some old business), and Floki is in really deep trouble - but he's the source of it, so, what'cha gonna do?

Of everybody, I think Rollo has done really well for himself so far this season - and it's only the first episode :D! I can't say how glad I am this show is back!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:24 am

Remember when Loki was punished for killing Balder, by being tied to three rocks with the entrails of his son, Nari? No?

Well, the gods did just that, then turned the entrails to iron bands and suspended a serpent over Loki's head so that the venom dripped from its fangs onto his face. Siguna, Loki's wife, stood near him, holding a dish to catch the venom as it fell. When the dish was full, she went out and poured its contents away. However, while she's doing this, the venom falls on Loki, causing him such intense pain that he struggles, making the earth quake. Ragnar has decided that the murder of Athelstan requires a similar sentence.

Floki is not having a good time.

Return to “Fantasy”