Outlander

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Outlander

Postby Padfoot » Wed May 20, 2015 11:33 am

Anyone watching Outlander? I haven't read the books, but I'd like to watch the show, it starts airing tonight.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Outlander

Postby shireling » Wed May 20, 2015 12:25 pm

I am, and once again! :lol:, you're a season behind. Tonight you'll get to meet Claire, in her own time, and her husband. The show snagged me pretty quick, and I liked her from the first.

Season Two ends on May 30th - and I feel like I've been up and down and all around the moors in a rickety cart, draw by horses with three lame feet. What I mean to say is that it's absolutely riveting; it is such a roller coaster. Another dangerous, superstitious period piece, and it makes me wonder how I would survive (and for how long) if I were in Claire Beauchamp's shoes. I haven't read the books either, but I have gone and read the reviews after some episodes, just to see how closely the series mirrors it; so far, everybody is simply enthralled, and the discussions in the comments have been great.

Which only goes to show, that if you have a great vehicle, combined with great writing and captivating storytelling, you'll get that response (the likes of which I have never seen with either The Tudors or The White Queen, mainly because the historical foundations were so shaky in both, and there was too much "OMG! Can we talk about Aneurin Barnard's hair?" in the latter.)

I love these characters. With the exception of the two protagonists - whom I would describe as handsome - all of the cast faces are very human (a lot like Wolf Hall) - no overly pretty people, no delicates here (they'd never last the day.) Good people, too, but no saints - very much the products of their time (I've even noticed that the teeth are discolored, which is always a nice touch.)

The cruelty depicted in the time is what shocks me the most. For example, there's one child's punishment for theft that just left me speechless. Claire, as a 20th Century/WWII Era woman, has oodles of opportunities to show outrage, and keeps having to check herself - it ain't at all easy. There is an underlying heartlessness shown to the people of "the lesser classes" and that they in turn show to one another, that I simply can't fathom. For all the blood and torture shown in The Tudors or The White Queen, that never rose to this level. And this is set in the 17th Century! Right on the heels of those!

So, with that in mind :) , these last two episodes (the one I've already seen and the prevue of the next) are just plain brutal (so much so that I watched it with the sound muted; I just couldn't bear the screams.) If you love plot/character-driven drama, combined with time-travel, you cannot go wrong with this. I love it. But, as long as you can remember that this is all acting, and that if anybody did get hurt, it was completely unintentional and their care was immediate, you should be fine :D .

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed May 20, 2015 12:52 pm

So, with that in mind :) , these last two episodes (the one I've already seen and the prevue of the next) are just plain brutal (so much so that I watched it with the sound muted; I just couldn't bear the screams.)

So did I while watching the last episodes of "Vikings" (when Ragnar killed Horek). It was extremely brutal.

Another show that's got me (kinda) hooked, despite its brutality, was "Black Sails" (mainly, because I'm a huge fan of Toby Stephens). It's not easy to watch (I'm kind of torn between disgust and fascination), but the second season gave the characters time to develop, and that was good.

Edit: I like it. And Graham McTavish is great as Dougal. However: Tobias Menzies' wig is as bad as Sean Bean's in "Clarissa" :D I had to laugh.

I wish the gaelic dialogues had subtitles, though. For someone who has no clue of the language, it would be a great help, no matter how beautiful it sounds. And Sam Heughan reminds me of Paul Gross (check out "Due South").

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu May 21, 2015 11:25 pm

Padfoot wrote:
So, with that in mind :) , these last two episodes (the one I've already seen and the prevue of the next) are just plain brutal (so much so that I watched it with the sound muted; I just couldn't bear the screams.)

So did I while watching the last episodes of "Vikings" (when Ragnar killed Horek). It was extremely brutal.

Another show that's got me (kinda) hooked, despite its brutality, was "Black Sails" (mainly, because I'm a huge fan of Toby Stephens). It's not easy to watch (I'm kind of torn between disgust and fascination), but the second season gave the characters time to develop, and that was good.

Edit: I like it. And Graham McTavish is great as Dougal. However: Tobias Menzies' wig is as bad as Sean Bean's in "Clarissa" :D I had to laugh.

I wish the gaelic dialogues had subtitles, though. For someone who has no clue of the language, it would be a great help, no matter how beautiful it sounds. And Sam Heughan reminds me of Paul Gross (check out "Due South").

Yeah, they don't caption the Gaelic; you have to rely on what Claire is given in translation, or some other Sassenach, because they don't understand it either :lol: . And Dougal is one to watch; he's a real driving force in this. I'm sorry now that I didn't see Black Sails, but I can. It's in the Starz Originals list, right along with The White Queen.

Oh, I'm so glad you like the show, Paddy :D !

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu May 28, 2015 6:26 am

I watched „Outlander“, Episode 3 + 4, yesterday evening. I really like the show. I'm getting more and more impressed with Graham McTavish. I knew he was a good actor before, but his Dougal ist just a fantastic ambigious character who obviously has a hidden agenda, and he pulls it off greatly. Can't wait for next week.

Hmm... Mrs. Fitz.. is she suspecting something about Claire? I wondered because she's also serving as Claire's maid, and she saw the strange garments (underwear) she was wearing, she MUST have wondered what that was, 18th century underwear was definitely completely different from the 1940s, :lol: ;)

By the way, how is the name Geilis pronounced? In German they make it sound like „gay-liss“ but I'm not sure if that's correct.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu May 28, 2015 10:48 am

Padfoot wrote:I watched „Outlander“, Episode 3 + 4, yesterday evening. I really like the show. I'm getting more and more impressed with Graham McTavish. I knew he was a good actor before, but his Dougal ist just a fantastic ambigious character who obviously has a hidden agenda, and he pulls it off greatly. Can't wait for next week.

You nailed it :) . He's most definitely the one to watch.
Hmm... Mrs. Fitz.. is she suspecting something about Claire? I wondered because she's also serving as Claire's maid, and she saw the strange garments (underwear) she was wearing, she MUST have wondered what that was, 18th century underwear was definitely completely different from the 1940s, :lol: ;)

I got the impression from her that, as far as she's concerned, English people just don't have the same moral values as Scots, and Claire's underwear affirms it.
I did a search and what women wore were shifts, just short enough so that they wouldn't extend beyond the petticoats, and then stockings to the knees. They wore nothing else underneath, though knickers did come into use by the end of the century. But, it seems, that only prostitutes would wear them; sooooooo, nice women - like the men in their kilts - all went commando :paperbag: Who'd of thought?
By the way, how is the name Geilis pronounced? In German they make it sound like „gay-liss“ but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Yes, it's pronounced 'gay-liss'. I hadn't thought of this before, but how is the theme song presented. Is it sung in German?

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu May 28, 2015 11:28 am

No, in English (fortunately) :lol:

BTW - was anywhere mentioned what happened to the Laird's legs? Some sort of Polio?

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun May 31, 2015 6:30 pm

Padfoot wrote:...BTW - was anywhere mentioned what happened to the Laird's legs? Some sort of Polio?

That's just what I thought when I first saw him, but today it's called Pycnodysostosis or Toulouse-Lautrec Syndrome, after the artist, who might have had the disorder and had some of the symptoms:

http://www.medicinenet.com/pycnodysostosis/article.htm

Collum's legs really do look affected and I don't know they did that.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun May 31, 2015 9:53 pm

Season Two just ended. And I can wait, seriously, for Season Three to begin.

The final three episodes are just so worrying and full - I just sat there with tears in my eyes this morning, watching this. I don't want to give anything away (there will be a Season Three, and I think that's enough to know.) What an amazingly, brilliant show. This right along with Vikings, are the ones that I just absolutely love.

Btw, I'm following two steampunk melodramas - Penny Dreadful, which includes almost all of my favorite monsters from 19th Century literature, and Ripper Street, set in Victorian Whitechapel (which you could probably tell from the name :lol: . Jack is there, mayheming, murdering, hunting and hunted, but he's rarely brought up. This police force has so much more on their hands then him.) I don't have the same emotional attachment to those characters, like I do to Kattegat & Company, and those Highlanders. Them I genuinely care what happens, I am so invested. It's very good stuff :yes: .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:34 am

Oh, I like "Ripper Street"! I wasn't able to follow every episode since it aired in the late-evenings, but what I saw, I really liked. "Penny Dreadful" only aired on Pay-TV over here, but it received good reviews and I'd like to watch it.

*runs off to check on the Toulouse-Lautrec-Syndrome*

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:50 pm

Padfoot wrote:Oh, I like "Ripper Street"! I wasn't able to follow every episode since it aired in the late-evenings, but what I saw, I really liked. "Penny Dreadful" only aired on Pay-TV over here, but it received good reviews and I'd like to watch it.

*runs off to check on the Toulouse-Lautrec-Syndrome*

:paperbag: Well, I feel sheepish. I know we both like Sherlock, Doctor Who... - can't think of what else at present.

I like them, I look forward to watching them, but I'm not as enamored as I am of these other shows. I wouldn't miss them...it's hard to put. Now, there was a show this past season on network called Forever, about a 19th Century immortal, a doctor in his own time, who has passed himself off as a medical examiner in this. He was originally killed trying to protect another man, while serving on a slave ship, and he's been killed several times. Only he doesn't stay dead - he vanishes from the scene of his death, only to pop up, stark naked, in the nearest body of water. It starred Ioan Gruffudd and Judd Hirsch - we loved it, and were very disappointed to see it'd been cancelled. There's a petition we signed to bring it back and that's making the rounds (last seen, closing up on 60,000), but I'll be very surprised if it comes back.

This summer there's two new series, one's called The Last Kingdom and the other is Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. Both are on BBC-America, and I'm really looking forward to them.

EDIT: *headslap* I don't know how I could have forgotten Orphan Black - do you know about it, Paddy?

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:47 am

Yes, I heard about all of those shows, but I haven't watched them. "Forever" hasn't aired on free tv, and "Orphan Black" aired late at night, so I wasn't able to watch it, the reviews were great and I still hope it might be re-running at a better time.

You're right - I liked "Ripper Street", but I don't miss it now that its run is over. It was a good show, BUT...

Outlander time again tonight :D *Note to myself*: NOT going to miss it or fall asleep. :paperbag:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:53 am

Padfoot wrote:...Outlander time again tonight :D *Note to myself*: NOT going to miss it or fall asleep. :paperbag:

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:54 am

I am soooo addicted! :paperbag: :paperbag: :paperbag: :lol: That happenes when such a show has great actors who manage to master their characters, even in slightly cheesy situations. It could have easily fired backwards, but it doesn't. Hats off to all the actors.

Jamie and Claire are married now. I still can't fathom out Dougal and his plans. Why do I have to wait a whole 7 days for the next two episodes? Black Jack Randall is a first-class villain (and Frank obviously has the Black Jack genes coming through, now).

It'll be available on DVD and Blu Ray by the end of the week, BUT they splitted the season in half (2 x 8 episodes) and season 1.2 will be available later on. At the moment, season 1.1 would cost me 30 Euros (that would be 60 Euros for the complete season), and there's no way I'm going to pay this. :mad:

Off to work again...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:17 pm

Dougal is a master manipulator fer shur - I'm so glad he's not a relative :lol: . Happy that you're loving this, Paddy :) .

Btw, I'm supposing that by slightly cheesy, you're not referring to the dairy product :) . What sort of cheese are these?

Return to “Fantasy”